• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sumvision Enclosure MKV - HardDisk Issue POLL

Are you using Sumvision Enclosure with 3.5" HDD?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DigitalSoul

All Sumvision MKV Enclosure Owners,

Many owners have complained about HDD Formatting and non-compatibility Issues. In the interest of all, can you all please participate in this poll to check if this issue has anything to do with the speed of the HDDs.

Please help to find out if this Sumvision Enclosure has problem with Slower drives in specific or you have to be unlucky to encounter with one...

This will definitely help prospective buyers for making the decision. If there is any issue specific to HDD speed then it can be communicated to Sumvision and can possibly be fixed in the new firmware. This way even the existing users may also be benefited...

Last edited:

lmaolmao

you should edit it for size of disk.

i have a 160gb which works fine. but i havent tried a 500gb i have somewhere.

perhaps make/model/size/speed as an excel table would be good?

DigitalSoul

you should edit it for size of disk.

i have a 160gb which works fine. but i havent tried a 500gb i have somewhere.

perhaps make/model/size/speed as an excel table would be good?

Yes, that would be even better idea.
First let's see the outcome of this poll and then I will post another getting us close to best possible internal HDDs with this tiny master. ;-) :clap:

mickymcd

My sammy 1tb 5400 green spinpoint drive is useless in the unit it see`s the files plays them for 20 secs then says invalid file!!:mad:

~NJS~

Standard Member
Hey all,

I have a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 3.5" HDD 7200 RPM SATA-II and it seems to be working fine and I hope it stays that way!

My enclosure has the firmware: 1073_Ver2.11_091223_GV3785_BT. I haven't seen this mentioned yet (?)

From my previous post:
"I ordered a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 3.5" HDD and until it arrived I used my external HDDs. They worked like a charm; 250 GB (Maxtor), 320 GB (Freecom) and 500 GB (TOshiba). All media files played (I don't have a large range but hey) without delay or error.

Then the HDD arrived I installed it and formatted it, which was successful. I went away for 2 min thinking it would take hours but came back and it had finished! I then installed the samba files etc via ext. USB with no problems. I connected the enclosure to my laptop (Windows Vista) via USB, the drivers installed correctly and I transferred my media on to three folders I created e.g. Photos, Music, Videos. I removed the enclosure (safely) but it wouldn't go into standby (sometimes does, sometimes doesn't.)
Upon connecting the enclosure to the laptop after the first time, it always asks to scan the drive as there may be problems with the drive. I stupidly accepted the first time and lost the drive after crashing during the disk scan - it couldn't be recognised until I uninstalled the USB device" and let it install again automatically when I reconnected it. I ignore the warning and it works fine.

I had a problem playing one VIDEO_TS folder on the internal HDD that worked on external drives but have since ripped some others from my own DVD collection that work perfectly...menus and all.

Note: I've also noticed the appearance of some additional folders in the root 'SYSTEM (HDD) folder that I didn't create: 'image', 'movie' and 'music' and a few other system folders.

Also: There is no Youtube icon in the video folder of the Internet Services function. Not only this, but the enclosure ITSELF doesn't have youtube printed on it, neither is it on the packaging....I don't know whether or not to 'upgrade' it. I may leave it as it's running smoother than others have reported.

Last edited:

oakland6

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a Sumvision Cyclone MKV enclosure version 2.

1st HDD worked ok but capacity was too small. This was a 200GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 Sata/150 spinning at 7200.

Upgraded to a Samsung EcoGreen F2 1.5TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache spinning at 5400. I wasn't able to format this using the Cyclone. Also tried the "Goparted" method which partitioned it ok and I manually added the required directories, but the Cyclone still doesn't recognise it.

Cyclone firmware is 1073_ver2.11_091127_GV3785_BT

Any suggestions are welcome!

Regards.
Ian

Last edited:

Sicilian

I'm using a Samsung EcoGreen F2 500GB HD502HI and now constantly getting I/O errors during playback of MKV's.

The single vote above Using with 3.5" - 5400/5900 RPM HDD and having no issues at all Is actually wrong by me, i'm now constantly getting these I/O errors and getting very fed up with it!

~NJS~

Standard Member
It's too late to modify my vote in the poll but my 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 3.5" HDD 7200 RPM SATA-II does not operate properly in fact so there is only one working drive now...

Last edited:

Richvisuals

Standard Member
My sammy 1tb 5400 green spinpoint drive is useless in the unit it see`s the files plays them for 20 secs then says invalid file!!:mad:

WD 1TB Mybook same problem, only once it has stated invalid file it proceeds to corrupt the Directory Table on the drive effectivly deleting and corrupting the drive and causing loss of data.

Dont plug in an external drive using the usb port.

c0d3x42

Standard Member
Hi there,

I've got a samsung hd1541UI/Y installed in an MKV enclosure. Have'nt noticed any problems yet with it, and have been copied over about 100GB of data onto it without problems. That was over a continuous 24 hours, but at a fairly slow rate ~1MB/s.

One thing i've noticed from poking around via telnet/ssh is that it's using a NTFS for the main storage space. This gets mounted using another layer of indirection / VFS by the kernel. While this is a fairly generic solution i'm not too comfortable with using NTFS on linux. So i'm in the process of shrinking that partition and making an ext3 fs to use.

I'd guess that the problems people are having are either down to a dodgy batch, or because of the non-linuxy way of accessing the disks.

It'd be interesting to see what dmesg tells you on the boxes that are exhibiting problems.

techfreak

Standard Member
got a samsung eco 1tb drive at 5400 32mb cache, and this does not work...had trouble even recognising the drive, system format does not work, tried the gparted method of formating ntfs,linux swap, and ext3, this does not work either....

im gonna try loading the mvix v1.3 firmware now...hopefully that does it...

techfreak

Standard Member
running v2 enclosure, samsungs eco 1tb 5400 hdd...

tried the gparted method again,
400mb ntfs
180mb linux-swap
rest ext3

this did not work..

tried..
400mb ntfs
180mb linux-swap
rest ntfs

this showed the 2 ntfs partitions through the enclosure...and allowed me to copy a movie across from my pc...
left it running as a test, and within 20 minutes had the infamous I/O input error...

have now reverted the firmware down to 1.3, and this allowed me to format the hdd via system menu...

this is the structure it has brought up that i can see on my pc...

i have drives:

(I) - hpfs/ntfs at the full 931gb (1tb hdd)
(F) - Linux-swap at 156mb (where has this space appeared from??)
(G) - Ext2 - 156mb (16mb used- uknown what for, and where has this space come from?)

hope this points some people in the right direction re:hdd's..and hope someone can decypher the above strangeness..

will run the movie on a test now and report if succesful or I/O error'd...

:smashin::thumbsdow

johnbhoy#

Standard Member
Running a Seagate 500gb Hard Drive SATAII 7200 st3200as or something similar to that.

Put it in yesterday . Copied all files across and seems to be working a ok. Will report back if any problems. Very pleased with the picture output on this wee thing'/

Its just a pity that the music GUI is not the bst. If only xbmc could be ported to this thing i would be happy as larry.

satbunny

Standard Member
Running a Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ - hard drive - 1 TB - SATA-300.

Formatted NTFS by the Cyclone. Is this a NTFS versus ext3 issue?

Constant i/o errors. I am adding and deleting files from an external usb hard drive using the Cyclone's copy system.

Deputy Dog

Standard Member
Currently have a Western Digital WD15EARS 1.5TB installed with about 120GB of Films and 500MB of mp3s. Not had any problems watching or listening so far and been using for approx 3 weeks. Drive was easy to installed and the enclosure picked it up and formatted without any fuss.

The up-scaling of DVDs is really good and much better than the effort mad by my Sony DVD HD recorder.

TBM

Standard Member
Samsung Ecogreen F2 1.5TB 5400rpm
Sumvision Firmware 1073_Ver2.11_10025_GV3785_BT
mkv enclosure could not format blank drive - just hung unresponsive to power button, left it overnight to see if it was just slow but it was still unresponsive and had to be unplugged.
Manually partitioned via gparted:
NTFS 1.36TiB, Swap 180MiB, ext3 220MiB (as suggested on another forum)
Movies are visible and start playing (with artefacts) but stop after 20s or so with I/O error - after this all movies show as invalid.
Trying FAT32 instead of NTFS results in the same artefacts during playback and i/o error after 20s or so.
Trying ext3 instead of NTFS for the main partition requires telneting in to mount the partition and even then I cant seem to get it to show up in the menu. NTFS and FAT Partitions on internal disks seem to be automounted at /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/ but creating that mountpoint and mounting an ext3 partition there does not show up in the menu.

So anyway This HDD does not play nice with the enclosure. Also Sumvision's website seems to have gone missing. http://www.sumvision.com.cn/ gives: Bad Request (Invalid Hostname).

DigitalSoul

M_Infinity

Standard Member
Is there any kind of comeback if one of these is purchased and your HD doesn't work in it?

pickit2

Standard Member
Is there any kind of comeback if one of these is purchased and your HD doesn't work in it?
Short answer would be NO. you bought an enclosure not a system.
When I bought mine I asked "What HD would you reconmend to use with it". answer was use a Maxtor DiamondMax23 1GB, which works very well.
Sumvision Firmware 1073_Ver2.11_100225_GV3785_BT

snakemetal

Standard Member
I have a Samsung 1.5TB ecogreen and the sumvision enclosure it only works with mivx 1.3 firmware so unable to take advantage of any of the newer firmware and updates as they all give i/o errors only 1.3 has worked for me :mad:

mpotter

Standard Member
same problem. Samsung 1.5TB ecogreen :mad:

I have 1.5TB Samsung (not sure of model - need tool to open player.)

I get constant I/O errors (Invalid file message) + I have to restart the unit several times before it finds the hard drive??? :mad:

Cant decide whether to sell unit or risk buying a different HDD

Ian.Jackson

I have 1.5TB Samsung (not sure of model - need tool to open player.)

I get constant I/O errors (Invalid file message) + I have to restart the unit several times before it finds the hard drive??? :mad:

Cant decide whether to sell unit or risk buying a different HDD
From everythng I have read AND personal experience, the samsung f2 1.5TB and Sumvision do not get on - and it would be hard to blame either HDD or Sumvision since both work fine attached to different hardware.

So do try a different HDD first. I'm currently using a WD Green 2TB with absolutely no problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom