sumvision cyclone media players (3.5 Media Enclosure)

I was going to buy a cyclone hd media player this week and put a terabyte hardrive in it,to my surprise the enclosure has no fan.how good is this device, is it stable and how good is the recorder? :lease: SUMVISION - We Sell PC Hardware, Software, Digital Media, Digital Cameras, MP3 Players, Components, Networking Equipment and more...

Hi you may not have seen this, it's from your link

Viedo RecordMPEG
Product DescriptionCYCLONE HDD Media player
Operating SystemWindows 98SE/ME/2000/XP/VISTA
USB FeaturesUSB Device - Device Port x 1, 480Mbps USB 2.0 (USB 1.1 compatible)
USB hostHost Port x 1, 480Mbps USB 2.0 (USB 1.1 compatible), Supporting to read USB devices like External USB HDD, Flash Drive.
HDD TypeSATA HDD "default package HDD is not included", HDD File System - NTFS / FAT32, Up to 1TB
LANWired : 10/100Mbps LAN (RJ-45) x 1
TV systemNTSC / PAL,4:3 / 16:9
Attach Video FormatRMVB/RM (Must install the corresponding software in computer and access it with network )
AudioMP2/3, AC3, WMA,WAV
Picture format supportJPG/JPEG/BMP
Subtitle TextSMI,SUB,SRT,TXT
LanguagesEnglish, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch
Video OutputHDMI (Auto EDID,480P,576P,720P 50HZ,720P 60HZ,1080i 60HZ.) Composite
Video inputComposite
Environment SpecificationFan and Working Temp - 40mm Brushless FAN ; 0°C ~ 60°C
Dimensions(LxWxH) : 170 x 165 x 40mm
Net weight500g (without HDD)
Power12V/3A 35W; 110~240V Free Voltage
HumidityWorking Humidity - 10% 50%
Video Data FormatFormat : AVI, MPG, MP4, ASF, VOB,DAT, Codec : MPEG 1/2/4, AVI, XVID,DIVX3/4/5, Resolutions up to 1080i
Audio OutputStereo L-R

Hi,

Does anyone know if the lan port can be used to mount and play files off the network ?

Or is it just going to replay the stream encoded by windows media centre.

Thanks

My first post :)

The HD version of this player is just as bad as the standard version.

It doesnt have a fan in it even though it says so on the box.

So far Ive had mine a week and have only managed to get it to display a list of files about 3 or 4 times and actually watch a movie when plugged into the TV only once. The rest of the time it just doesnt display any files whatsoever.

In a nutshell it doesnt work. Ive followed every thread on here and systematically tried to diagnose the problem myself including keeping all filenames short with no non-alpha characters in the filename.

My first post :)

The HD version of this player is just as bad as the standard version.

It doesnt have a fan in it even though it says so on the box.

So far Ive had mine a week and have only managed to get it to display a list of files about 3 or 4 times and actually watch a movie when plugged into the TV only once. The rest of the time it just doesnt display any files whatsoever.

In a nutshell it doesnt work. Ive followed every thread on here and systematically tried to diagnose the problem myself including keeping all filenames short with no non-alpha characters in the filename.

Ive got the HD version and mines got a fan in it and ive also managed to watch films on it without any problem at all, the only problem i have is getting the thing networked as information on this seem to be non existent

I've watched films on mine, both off the hard drive and a usb attached hard drive, played music, looked at photos and browsed my pc via the net option (I used a wireless bridge for this and it worked first time).
I've got the HD version with a 250 gb drive split in two partitions. I never plugged it into my computer as I didn't have to.

I've watched films on mine, both off the hard drive and a usb attached hard drive, played music, looked at photos and browsed my pc via the net option (I used a wireless bridge for this and it worked first time).
I've got the HD version with a 250 gb drive split in two partitions. I never plugged it into my computer as I didn't have to.

How did you manage to get your player working on a network, i cant seem to do it, ive installed Transcode server added the share folders to it but when i go to "NET" on the media player it doesnt seem to find the folders, there doesnt seem to be any settings to input in the transcode program other then the "add folders".

What did you do.

DJDaveK

I used a wireless bridge with a fly lead running into it from the cyclone.
I'll check my settings tonight (and post them) but I don't think I changed anything from the default. One downside with being able to browse my pc is that my usb now thinks it's my network drive - this cyclone is a strange device!

thanks for your reply "scooter" .

Sorry if im sounding stupid but what do you mean by your setup, this is how i have mine setup, i have my cyclone plugged in to my wireless router in my front room and then my pc which is in my bedroom is also hard wired into the wireless router so nothing is being sent over wireless its just being used as a hub, i installed transcode server on my pc and added the shared folders, when i look at my media player the dhcp on my router has issued it an ip address so it is on the network but when i go to "NET" on the cyclone it doesnt seem to see any folders, although one time i did try to access it on the cyclone it asked me for a user name and password (doesnt seem to do this anymore) is this normal function for the media player and should i have entered my windows logon info, ill wait for your reply, gonna have a good play around with it this weekend and see if i can get it to work, yep it is a very strange device.

my setup is only like it is because my router is upstairs so I needed a wireless box to get it on the network. Essentially, it is the same as yours but wireless.
When you got asked for a username and password...yes, you should have typed in your pc logon details. this is probably why you are getting nothing when selecting net. Ideally, you need to get this login prompt again.
I never plugged mine into my pc and it seems fine, although, as I said, my usb drive shows my files on my pc for some reason. Like you, I will play about with it this weekend.

my setup is only like it is because my router is upstairs so I needed a wireless box to get it on the network. Essentially, it is the same as yours but wireless.
When you got asked for a username and password...yes, you should have typed in your pc logon details. this is probably why you are getting nothing when selecting net. Ideally, you need to get this login prompt again.
I never plugged mine into my pc and it seems fine, although, as I said, my usb drive shows my files on my pc for some reason. Like you, I will play about with it this weekend.

Ah top one ill try and get that screen up again to enter logon details fingers crossed it will work then, thanks for your help mate. :)

Ah top one ill try and get that screen up again to enter logon details fingers crossed it will work then, thanks for your help mate. :)

DJDaveK, how did you get on with your cyclone. some funny stuff happened with mine re the net..it signed in as guest and got access, even though I setup a different account. Also, I'm finding that the quality of tv output (via scart converter from my sky or freeview box) is very poor, whether live or recorded - how do you find this?

Ive got the HD version and mines got a fan in it and ive also managed to watch films on it without any problem at all, the only problem i have is getting the thing networked as information on this seem to be non existent
how is it playing audio files and is playback quality through a hi-fi any good?

Hi you may not have seen this, it's from your link

Viedo RecordMPEG
Product DescriptionCYCLONE HDD Media player
Operating SystemWindows 98SE/ME/2000/XP/VISTA
USB FeaturesUSB Device - Device Port x 1, 480Mbps USB 2.0 (USB 1.1 compatible)
USB hostHost Port x 1, 480Mbps USB 2.0 (USB 1.1 compatible), Supporting to read USB devices like External USB HDD, Flash Drive.
HDD TypeSATA HDD "default package HDD is not included", HDD File System - NTFS / FAT32, Up to 1TB
LANWired : 10/100Mbps LAN (RJ-45) x 1
TV systemNTSC / PAL,4:3 / 16:9
Attach Video FormatRMVB/RM (Must install the corresponding software in computer and access it with network )
AudioMP2/3, AC3, WMA,WAV
Picture format supportJPG/JPEG/BMP
Subtitle TextSMI,SUB,SRT,TXT
LanguagesEnglish, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch
Video OutputHDMI (Auto EDID,480P,576P,720P 50HZ,720P 60HZ,1080i 60HZ.) Composite
Video inputComposite
Environment SpecificationFan and Working Temp - 40mm Brushless FAN ; 0°C ~ 60°C
Dimensions(LxWxH) : 170 x 165 x 40mm
Net weight500g (without HDD)
Power12V/3A 35W; 110~240V Free Voltage
HumidityWorking Humidity - 10% 50%
Video Data FormatFormat : AVI, MPG, MP4, ASF, VOB,DAT, Codec : MPEG 1/2/4, AVI, XVID,DIVX3/4/5, Resolutions up to 1080i
Audio OutputStereo L-R
thanks,thats weird because i went to a computer fair to get one, the guy selling them was putting in hardrives for customers, that's when i noticed no fan,they told me it does not come with a fan and does not need one.

Hi, I've had a Cyclone HD for a while now, and been trying to get it to work with a Sumvision Netbox, but when it does find the netbox on my workgroup it asks for a username and password. I enter one, (even after setting up on the NetBox), and said Logon Failed. Please can someone help? I want to be able to add files to the Netbox, then just start up the Cyclone, and have it play the files off the Netbox.

Has anyone achieved this?

Many thanks.

hey scooter

I just bought 1 of these cyclone 1tb hd hdd. Im :S at all this.

I managed to finally connect it to the network. It can see all the files shared on my PC, just that the PC cant recognise it through using the RJ-45 port.

Could yours do this? Where you could see all the files on your Cyclone from your PC?

does any1 know???

bump bump....

Findin it real hard to do, if any1 knows, holla

I think I know why this is happening but not sure if anyone is still interested. It's a real pain to set up. Please reply if you need answers

I think I know why this is happening but not sure if anyone is still interested. It's a real pain to set up. Please reply if you need answers

Hey, im still very interested. I can access all shared files on my laptop from the media player. Its just that i cant see the media player hard drive appear on the laptop. I have the laptop wired to the router as is the media hard drive. Any help and you will be a legend lol, been trying 4 soo long

Hey, im still very interested. I can access all shared files on my laptop from the media player. Its just that i cant see the media player hard drive appear on the laptop. I have the laptop wired to the router as is the media hard drive. Any help and you will be a legend lol, been trying 4 soo long

Same problem. If I connect via USB I can see tha HDD from my laptop and can easily copy files and arrange directory structure, etc. If I connect via the network I cannot see the HDD from my laptop. I can connect to my laptop from the device though and copy files to the device from shared drives... it's very cludgy to use though, so wuld much prefer to be able to copy from the PC...

Anyone have any luck with this?

ive got the cyclone hd and cant get it to connect to pc with cable keeps asking for net user name and net password ive typed in what i use to connect to the inter net and ive typed in my router user name and passord just keeps saying connection faild using cat5 cable any one any idear on how to get this working :lease:

As Above....
Just recieved mine and got all set up ok, can see shared files on laptop and main pc ok via network, but how do i access the hdd via the network from my computer downstairs, i cant seem to find it.. ive only managed to copy files onto it using the usb cable so far..
Thanks in advance for any help....

Short answer is you don't.

These devices are not NAS capable, they don't act as a remote 'server' they just let you access other shared storage.

Thanks For the reply, I was beginning to think that was the case..
So my new plan now is to purchase a set of USB - RJ45 adaptors and link via this lead to access the cyclone drive and copy files etc to the bedroom where cyclone lives... then to disconnect this lead for normal use.. What this means is once files are sent to the clyclone upstairs and deleted from my pc, i cant then access them on the pc or in the lounge on the ps3 unless i copy them back to the pc... No biggie really, any new stuff can be left on the pc where both cyclone and ps3 can see them, can then copy them upstairs for storage later...
I hope this hasn't confused anyone!
All in all despite this network access issue with the cyclone i'm more than impressed with its capabilities, Still recommend it as a Media Player.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom