Sums it up....

swall101

The perfect summary:

Today is judgement day for David Cameron and George Osborne.

After a year and a half in government, we now know that their reckless gamble with our economy had catastrophically backfired.

With prices rising and unemployment soaring families, pensioners and businesses already know it's hurting.

And with billions more borrowing than planned to pay for rising unemployment, today we find out the truth - it's just not working.

The Government's independent budget watchdog said today that the Government will break its promise to balance the books by the time of the general election.

George Osborne is now set to borrow £158 billion more than planned a year ago – the bill for the economic failure, higher unemployment and bigger benefits bill his failed plan has created. And it means £37 billion more borrowing in future years than the OBR's verdict on the more balanced plan Labour set out before the election and this Government ripped up.

As we warned, trying to cut spending and raise taxes further and faster has been utterly self-defeating.

It didn't have to be this way. Today was an opportunity for the Government to change course and adopt Labour's five point plan for jobs.

But instead David Cameron and George Osborne are clinging on to a failing plan – and they're so out of touch they have decided to hit families hard by cutting tax credits, while refusing to repeat the bank bonus tax as Labour has called for.

George Osborne should listen not just to Labour but also to the IMF and change course now. Labour's five point plan for jobs would not fix things overnight – but it is a better way to help hard-pressed families, create jobs and support small businesses.

And by getting our economy moving again, it will also help to get the deficit down – and do so in a fair way. Because it cannot be right to borrow tens of billions of pounds to keep people on the dole, when we could be investing to get people back to work.

Protecting our economy, businesses, jobs and family finances is more important than trying to protect a failed plan.

Last edited:

stanga

Balls. Great big Ed Balls.

Excuse me while I choke on Labour's hypocritical, weasel words as if they were spewed from some crystal ball gazing gypsy in a 1984 Swift Corniche.

Perhaps we should follow Greece's lead, have a retirement age at 46 and insist that 99% of population is employed in the "public" sector.

sidicks

Banned
Protecting our economy, businesses, jobs and family finances is more important than trying to protect a failed plan.

They've not only protected the economy, they've rescued it from the abyss due to a decade of Labour excessive spending and the bank bailout!
:)
Sidicks

swall101

Balls. Great big Ed Balls.

Excuse me while I choke on Labour's hypocritical, weasel words as if they were spewed from some crystal ball gazing gypsy in a 1984 Swift Corniche.

Perhaps we should follow Greece's lead, have a retirement age at 46 and insist that 99% of population is employed in the "public" sector.

Its ok.... you are in denial, its natural to feel this way when all your hopes were pinned on an ideology instead of a real plan.:smashin:

swall101

They've not only protected the economy, they've rescued it from the abyss thanks to Labout excessive spending and the bank bailout!
Sidicks

Are you going to blame Labour for losing the next election... oh wait a minute:blush:

Ps. Have you seen the news today... apart from dave and his dimwit, not many plaudits coming in from where I'm sitting!

sidicks

Banned
Its ok.... you are in denial, its natural to feel this way when all your hopes were pinned on an ideology instead of a real plan.:smashin:

I suggest you take a trip to Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy etc and find out what life would have been like under the Labour 'Plan A'...
:hiya:
Sidicks

stanga

This just in comrade... planned economies fail harder than market-driven economies.

Unless you are North Korea...

Badger0-0

Are you going to blame Labour for losing the next election... oh wait a minute

I almost hope by some miracle the tories don't lose the next election, as the party that wins is going to be the one that picks up all the crap, as a lot of the borrowing has been offset, from what I was hearing on R4 this evening.

What galled me about Osbourne's speech is the way he almost makes these terrible figures sound like a good achievement, in the way he talks, no hint of sadness or sincerity when he talks of 400,000 public servants being put out of work.

After all, it's only a number and it drives wages down, doesn't it?, seems to be the attitude :(

swall101

What galled me about Osbourne's speech is the way he almost makes these terrible figures sound like a good achievement, in the way he talks, no hint of sadness or sincerity when he talks of 400,000 public servants being put out of work.

After all, it's only a number and it drives wages down, doesn't it?, seems to be the attitude :(

Do you think he operates on here under a pseudonym:devil:

Sonic67

Banned
George Osborne is now set to borrow £158 billion more than planned a year ago – the bill for the economic failure,
Err Economic failure? You vote labour and said that with a straight face???

swall101

Err Economic failure? You vote labour and said that with a straight face???

18 months into this parliament, please take responsibility for your actions:smashin:

Sonic67

Banned
18 months into this parliament, please take responsibility for your actions:smashin:

My actions? What did I do? Okay then, err I'm sorry???

Labour ran up a trillion quids worth of debt and you think it can be fixed so quickly?

swall101

My actions? What did I do? Okay then, err I'm sorry???

Labour ran up a trillion quids worth of debt and you think it can be fixed so quickly?

Royal 'your'....... :smashin:

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
in the way he talks, no hint of sadness or sincerity when he talks of 400,000 public servants being put out of work.

After all, it's only a number

Well to paraphrase a historical figure, one lost job is a tragedy. Half a million lost jobs is a statistic.

McPhee

You know what I dislike about this section of the forum? It's plagued by the same crap that our entire political system suffers under. Nobody wants to take responsibilities for their own failures, everything is always the fault of someone else. I believe the overall point of this thread was that Dave and George's master plan hasn't worked as expected? Presumably that plan was based on the state of the country as of May 2010? How then, does it's failure have anything to do with the Labour party? Dave and George screwed up. Stop apologising for them and start demanding answers.

Note: this isn't a pro Labour post. Shoe on the other foot my opinion would be the same.

sidicks

Banned
You know what I dislike about this section of the forum? It's plagued by the same crap that our entire political system suffers under. Nobody wants to take responsibilities for their own failures, everything is always the fault of someone else. I believe the overall point of this thread was that Dave and George's master plan hasn't worked as expected? Presumably that plan was based on the state of the country as of May 2010? How then, does it's failure have anything to do with the Labour party? Dave and George screwed up. Stop apologising for them and start demanding answers.
Whether it is a failure depends on what you reasonably expected to be achieved.

If you honestly believed that the solution to the debt problem was to borrow more money and the economy would instantly turn around then yes, you would consider it a failure.

If you had a degree of realism and ackowledged that the country was ****ed and that the priority had to be to get the debt under control and gain credibility from the market, then it has been a huge success - our borrowing rates are similar to those of Germany.

The fact that growth hasn't been as good as expected, leading to higher planned borrowing is primarily driven by the Eurozone crisis, as noted by the OBR.

The extent of this was not forseeen (could not be foreseen) back in May 2010.
Sidicks

GAZBEROTTEN

The perfect summary:

Today is judgement day for David Cameron and George Osborne.

After a year and a half in government, we now know that their reckless gamble with our economy had catastrophically backfired.

With prices rising and unemployment soaring families, pensioners and businesses already know it’s hurting.

And with billions more borrowing than planned to pay for rising unemployment, today we find out the truth - it’s just not working.

The Government’s independent budget watchdog said today that the Government will break its promise to balance the books by the time of the general election.

George Osborne is now set to borrow £158 billion more than planned a year ago – the bill for the economic failure, higher unemployment and bigger benefits bill his failed plan has created. And it means £37 billion more borrowing in future years than the OBR’s verdict on the more balanced plan Labour set out before the election and this Government ripped up.

As we warned, trying to cut spending and raise taxes further and faster has been utterly self-defeating.

It didn’t have to be this way. Today was an opportunity for the Government to change course and adopt Labour’s five point plan for jobs.

But instead David Cameron and George Osborne are clinging on to a failing plan – and they’re so out of touch they have decided to hit families hard by cutting tax credits, while refusing to repeat the bank bonus tax as Labour has called for.

George Osborne should listen not just to Labour but also to the IMF and change course now. Labour’s five point plan for jobs would not fix things overnight – but it is a better way to help hard-pressed families, create jobs and support small businesses.

And by getting our economy moving again, it will also help to get the deficit down – and do so in a fair way. Because it cannot be right to borrow tens of billions of pounds to keep people on the dole, when we could be investing to get people back to work.

Couldn't agree more. The tories are doing exactly what they did in the 1980's they cant stop themselves either which proves they need to step down. They had there chance and they still blew it.

I see a lot of torie supporters attacking you figures since they don't want to admit the tories have really dropped the ball and will cause us more debt.

dazza74

Novice Member
There really is no point getting into a Coalition v Labour spat imo, I don't think any of them really have a clue what to do. They've just come up with a bunch of revised projection figures for the economy to buy them time. Anyone who caught the Nick Robinson program last night would have seen Alastair Darling say he planned if given the go ahead to raise VAT for example just like the coalition did. Whoever got in would have basically been faced with the same problems.

MikeTV

This is about protecting the government's position, at the expense of the economy. That way they turn around later and say "but look what we did, we balanced the budget and rescued the banks. We had no idea the economic conditions were going to be that harsh. Imagine where we'd be had we not balanced the budget and rescued the banks?". The answer to which is long term economic growth and a more controlled, sustainable banking system. But banker attrition and structural reform are not tolerable to them, no matter how beneficial and necessary.

sidicks

Banned
Remind us of your plan to cope with the debt & deficit problems?
:facepalm:

dazza74

Novice Member
This is about protecting the government's position, at the expense of the economy.

It's about keeping our necessary borrowing at 2% imo. Our economy had no chance, confidence had no chance. I say that because, with rolling 24 hour news, I think we've talked ourselves into half this mess. I know the press will argue they are only reporting the facts, but to these guys it's just a good story all this mess, something to give the likes of Peston a wet dream and all the other salavating journo's that have never had it so good on their top 1% of the population salaries :smashin:

Sonic67

Banned
The tories are doing exactly what they did in the 1980's they cant stop themselves either which proves they need to step down.

The Tories did what they did in the 80's because the public voted them in (and then the public kept voting them in) after seeing what Labour had done in the 70's.

swall101

The Tories did what they did in the 80's because the public voted them in (and then the public kept voting them in) after seeing what Labour had done in the 70's.

Bit like Labour being voted in from 1997 to 2010 after seeing what the tories had done in the 80's / 90's:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021