1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sumiko Blue Point Special - Broken Cantilever

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Spenny, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Spenny

Spenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had a new Sumiko Blue Point Special fitted to a new Project Classic Turntable with an upgraded 9c Tonearm on Friday Afternoon by a reputable dealer.

When playing the first disc, I experienced awful cracking sounds like violent scratches through my speakers. I left playing another disc until the next day and experienced the same sounds and then the cantilever broke off the body of the cartridge.

The dealer is telling me he's never heard of such a problem like this before and is blaming me for damaging the cartridge. I personaly feel that the cartridge was faulty or that it may have been damaged whilst being installed.

Has anybody had a similar experience with this or any other make of cartridge? I can't believe that I am the first person to suffer this problem!

Spenny

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the problem with the BPS,the cantaviler sticks out a mile,so you have to be really careful with it.Good luck getting it sorted,they arn't cheap.

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    If the cartridge became faulty during normal use, the dealer should replace or refund. A dealer claiming they have not heard of such a problem is irrelevant.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The dealer should be insured against this sort of thing. I would threaten him with court action, small claims court should sort it out.

Send the dealer a letter stating you claims, including all the details and times, simply say that you wish him to replace the cartridge at his cost and if you dont recieve a reply within a week then it will be put into the hands of your soliciter or directly to the small claims court if you wish to prepare the case yourself.

You could of course get a soliciter to write the letter for you, will probably cost you about £20, but its all official and very scary for a bona fida dealer, who has to attend a day in court when he could be doing other things.........like filling in a claims form, idiot!