Sum Vision External Hard Drive - XP Fails to recognise

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by duncliddle, Sep 8, 2007.

1. duncliddle

duncliddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a Sum Vision 250Gb External hard drive for some time now and have had no problems with it. Now - it will not be recognised by my computer running on XP. I don't know if it's coincidence but it seemed to happen after i loaded Sky broadband software. I unplug the storage everytime i use my computer as it's a laptop that i put away. I've tried a new USB 2-1 lead (clutching at straws I know!) and also the driver CD both to no avail. IT HAS MY ENTIRE MUSIC COLLECTION ON IT!!!! Does anyone have any advice?

2. Vandiesel

Vandiesel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Have you tried un-installing the sky stuff? Are the usb ports working? Tried the external drive on another computer? Tried other usb ports? Can you hear the external hard drive power up, spin, any clicking etc? If the drive is ok, you will be able to get the data off, you can always remove the drive from the enclosure and plug it directly into the motherboard, trouble shoot my first few questions, then take it from there

cheers

3. duncliddle

duncliddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info - I've tried a lot of your suggestions but have yet to try another computer. I'll give it a go!!!