1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sum of all Fears = DIRE

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by MartinImber, Jun 28, 2003.

1. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I hired this - waste of £3.50

Jack Ryan is not deputy director, not married, the bomb is not Arab.

Nothing like the book at all - the film is rubbish!:( :mad: :mad:

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know whether the film is like the book or not as I haven't read it, but I certainly wouldn't criticise a film for not being true to the book. Many films change details and still work. The details you mention sound utterly trivial too.

Having said that, I didn't like this film either. I'm not a Jack Ryan fan so that probably didn't help, but I thought that given the cast I would like it. Sadly, it did nothing for me - the director was not very good at building excitement or tension, and the cast delivered rather lacklustre performances.

Spoiler:

I did love the nuclear explosion though. The DD 5.1 soundtrack really shone at that point :)

I know many who liked this film though. I think we are in the minority, Martin ;)

3. chris_ronaldo

chris_ronaldo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i'm actually half way through the book at the moment and so far the similarities are minimal. Thought the film was OK but the book is way better (same as the Jurassic Park & Lost World films weren't as good as the books), I like the Jack Ryan character and thought the film could have been way better.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It does not follow on from the previous films!

Previously he had a family

Previously he was high up in the CIA

I mean how can the young lad version become president for the next book (not spoiler it is on the cover)

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Previously he was played by a variety of different actors of varying ages :D

6. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it's set before the other films with Harrison Ford? Don't know cause I aint reas the books.

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spot on mate - it is set before the other films...

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No it is set recently - where were his children?

Where was his nuclear launch authority?

Where were the Arab terrorists?

I was really looking forwards to this and it was cack!

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the fact that Cathy and Jack weren't actually married gives the fact away that it's set before the others...

10. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I think it was well-documented prior to release that this was a 're-imagining' of the whole Ryan character. Obviously Affleck could not play the Ryan character in a 'sequel' to the other movies due to the vast age differences, the film would then fall apart on the same grounds that you're complaining of. Would you believe a character of his age could really make deputy director or be given nuclear launch control? For our sake I hope not!

And as for the arab terrorists, come on! The film would never have been released in the wake of 9/11 if it had arabs detonating a nuclear bomb on US soil.

As mentioned earlier, I think it's really bad to denigrate a movie because it doesn't follow the book. Why should it? It's based on the book but that doesn't mean I want a literal translation. If you think the movie sucks then that's fine, but I think it should be for other reasons than just being different to the source material.

11. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CarlB,
    I think you are spot on again. However, at no point does MartinImber compare the film to the book...I can only assume that:
    1. He hasn't read the book.
    2. He believes the films are being released in number order...which thay are not.

I think the whole re imaging process as you put it, was done rather well. And if MartinImber wants to compare the film to the book on all that is Clancy, then maybe he should read/watch Clear & Present Danger. Now that reall WAS dire...IIRC, Tom Clancy actually stated that all conversions from there on in needed to be supervised personally by him because it was so bad. The book had me on the edge of my seat. The film had me fast asleep in my chair...:boring:

For the record, I enjoyed both film and book - however with a gun to my head, the book just has the edge...

12. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While we are on the subject....

Why hasnt James Bond retired? He must be well into his seventies by now

Why was he never promoted? He seemed quite good at his job.

What happened to his Scottish accent?

13. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And what happened to the Parrot in Traesure Planet?

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cardinal Of The Kremlin is, IMO, the best Clancy book. Who would make a good Clarke though? I always saw Ben Affleck plaing him but that's gone out the window now...

15. Links

Links

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can't see 'Debt of Honor' being made into a film considering its ending.

16. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I HAVE read the book - thats why the film was a total disappointment

17. alle v

alle v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...People should watch a film and appreciate it for what it is.

'Based on' doesn't mean 'accurate portrayal down to the minutest detail' ...if that were the case then hardly any books would see the light of day (or dimmed ;)) in the cinema 'cos they would just not be adaptable.

There are many films that I have watched without reading the book. Enjoyed them nonetheless :)

Personally I thought the film was good and I bought it :)

18. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Just finished watching this (R2 DTS dvd) and throughly enjoyed it.. I knew nothing about the film (nor have read the book) so I just sat back and took it as it came..

I don't think its as good as the previous 3 ryan films.. esp as has been mentioned it felt completely different.. but I sat glued and let my sub do the talking.

Matt

19. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a sad fact that films never match up to the books they were based on. In fact the only film that I have seen which I can say matches the book is 'To kill a Mockingbird'.

I personally think it's a travesty that they changed the Jack Ryan character for this film, but then again I never forgave them for leaving out Tom Bombadil from LoTR.

20. Banshee

Banshee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Agreed.

A bit too much of a generalisation I feel. How can you expect 300+,400+ etc. page books to be distilled and re-produced in 2/2.5 hours (let's leave LOTR out of this). You can try and reproduce the book and make a total pigs ear of it - witness Brett Ratner and the dismal Red Dragon or you can try and capture the essence of the book - witness Michael Mann and Manhunter. On the last one I feel the book Red Dragon is complemented by Manhunter.
    To capture the quantity/quality of material then maybe mini-series are the way to go. For example - Dune and Salem's Lot (which I watched on Sky recently and it still holds up).

21. Banshee

Banshee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    But anyway what I forgot to say :blush: is - I really enjoyed 'The Sum of All Fears' and 'Clear and Present Danger'