Suitable SPL Meter

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by EriX, May 2, 2007.

1. EriX

EriX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi

I have a monolith arriving next week and was wondering whether it'd be an idea to get an SPL meter, even if it is just to measure differences in sub placement and phase and not a bfd. I know the RS one as supplied by BK is well used and I have been reading on the REW forums that mics/SPL meters need suitable calibration files to give them a flat response.

Is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Professional-...06QQihZ012QQcategoryZ1504QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    an OEM version of the old RS meter? The layout looks the same which I've found in most electronics can sometimes point to having been manufactured by the same company.

Are people using other types of meter and if so are they uncalibrated? Is this because the calibration files weren't available or because they are of higher quality and naturally have a flatter response?

Should I just pay the extra tenner for the RS from BK?

Also is REW just a program to map your room/speaker response or does it also sit constantly running on your computer applying the filters to your output in a similar way to a bfd (obviously only when using the HTPC as source)?

Thanks
    Eric

2. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,494
    no idea, I guess the only way to be sure would be to buy one and measure it against an RS meter

the RS meter is a somewhat known quantity, it's not perfectly consistent but it does seem to give reasonable results for not much money. Alternatives (that are known to be more consistent) are more expensive, there is the Galaxy meter for about £80 and the ECM8000 mic (and preamp), no idea how much that is. I don't see the point in measuring something with an uncalibrated meter as you have no idea whether what you're measuring is accurate or not. For the sake of a tenner I'd just buy the thing you know something about.

it maps your response in many different ways (response graph, waterfalls, impulse response), gives you the means to predict the impact of filters on the response and an easy way of managing/repeating the whole process.

Cheers
    Matt

3. EriX

EriX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for that, pretty much as I thought.

I have emailed BK and they are sending me a SPL meter with my monolith and the whole gigantic package will arrive on tuesday :D (along with some less exciting sofas (not from BK) to sit on while I listen to my newest wallet lightener).

Eric

4. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    You could always just buy a cushion and use that to sit on the Monolith :D

5. EriX

EriX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: