1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suitable Sony Camera for use with Vegas

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by johntyke, Jun 3, 2005.

1. johntyke

johntyke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

:lease:

I'm hoping to buy a Sony camcorder and plan to capture and edit using Sony Vegas.

I am considering either the DCR-HC90 or DCR-HC42 but cannot assertain whether either features "pass-through" (Firewire->Camera->TV) which will enable me to preview Vegas projects-in-progress on an external TV monitor without recording (giving me a truer impression of colours, layout etc).

Apparently NTSC versions of these cameras do have this feature, but I will need a PAL camera (UK based) and I had read somewhere that PAL cameras sometimes lack the pass-through feature.

Can anyone confirm whether either camera can perform pass-through?

Many thanks,
    John

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    John, AFAIK all DV camcorders will pass a firewire input out via the analogue outputs to view on a TV etc.
    The passthrough that many camcorders in the UK wont do is in the other direction, ie VCR (or whatever analogue source you have) to cam via the analogue leads to PC via firewire. The reason for this is that many camcorders sold in the UK do not have the analogue inputs (AV-in) enabled.

Mark.

3. johntyke

johntyke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help, Mark.

:thumbsup:

I'll take the plunge shortly, then........