Suitable small centre speaker

brownie104

Novice Member
I currently have a pair of Q Acoustic Concept 40 floor standing speakers that I am looking to pair with a new centre speaker for my 3.1 setup. Ideally, I would get the Concept centre but my TV unit shelf is exactly 15cm in height (can anyone confirm that the Concept centre would not fit?).

Any suggestions on a smaller centre speaker to fit my space? I am considering the Cambridge Audio Minx but worry they would be too small with my floor standers.

Many thanks for the advice.

gibbsy

You should always go for the same make and model for the front three to preserve timbre when the audio pans across the front soundstage. I would imagine that such panning with a CA Minx would sound pretty awful. I had the same problem for room with a rather large KEF centre. I solved the problem by having an oak bridge made to carry the TV over it.

Another alternative would be to wall mount the TV perhaps?

brownie104

Novice Member
You should always go for the same make and model for the front three to preserve timbre when the audio pans across the front soundstage. I would imagine that such panning with a CA Minx would sound pretty awful. I had the same problem for room with a rather large KEF centre. I solved the problem by having an oak bridge made to carry the TV over it.

Another alternative would be to wall mount the TV perhaps?

That's good to know, thank you. In that case, maybe I can consider an alternative to accommodate the matching centre speaker. Wall mounting is sadly not an option, so I may have to change the TV unit itself.

gibbsy

My solution. The TV is 65''. Bridge was made by HiFi Racks.

169014423.3oX2AMVS._DSC4302.jpg

gibbsy

Yes that could pose a problem, that's why I tend to stick with Panasonic because their OLEDs and the old plasmas always had/have a central plinth. With HiFi Racks they will make bespoke bridges but they are expensive. If you could find a local cabinet maker or joiner then they could no doubt do a quality job of an oak stand.

My missus wouldn't let me put a TV on the wall, simply doesn't trust my DIY skills, or lack of. Don't make a box though, keep the sides and back open, you don't want to put a centre speaker within another box.

DavidT

That looks great, thanks for the idea. My TV stand spans most of the width of the TV (LG OLED CX), so I would need a wider one than that.
Or buy a pedestal stand off Amazon for about £22.

Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom