Suitable screen for DLP?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by andyxxx, Nov 12, 2002.

1. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering purchasing a DLP projector. Very little seems to be mentioned about the screen. – Is a screen necessary? Or does anybody manufacture a suitable paint to apply direct onto a flat wall? If not, which screen and manufacturers should I be considering? Thanks for any input.

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,789
    Screens can be a can of worms.

If you have a high lumen pj and/or some ambient light, a grey screen is one option. Some paint their screens/walls with Dulux Icestorm 5 or 6 (the brighter the pj, the lower the number).

Grey screens improve contrast ratio and reduce ambient light effect on the screen image.

A home made screen with white blackout cloth will be suitable in most cases I would think - I'm using one for my Davis DLS8 DLP pj, and I'm so happy with it (only 800 lumens - less on my 16:9 screen), I never upgraded it to a 'real' screen (it cost me £28). It'll get you started (as will a painted matt white wall) and when you're familiar with the screen/pj you'll be in a better position to know what you'd like out of a screen.

For more 'punch', a higher gain screen will make the image brighter, but with reduced viewing angle.

How many lumens is your pj going to have?

Ken Hotte in the USA makes a pj specific screen paint (Screen Goo). It gets good reviews over at avsforum. I don't know anyone who's imported the stuff and tried it here though.

HTH

3. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you fot your response Gary. I think I will purchase the projector first, then experiment with a painted wall as you sugest. If this is no good I will go down the homemade route with the blackout cloth. It seems to me that way I have very little to loose. I am not sure which pj I am going to purchase but viewing angle is not an issue for my room.

If I do not like the homemade screen I guess I will have to purchase one. Sevenoaks sugested spending £1100 on a 6ft fixed screen which sounds a hell of a lot of money that I may be better putting towards my pj budget?

Andy

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,789
    I had a demo of my pj on a 'proper' screen, but I can't say if it was much better than my home made one to be honest. Only a direct visual comparison between the two will tell.

I was also quoted in excess of £1000 for a fixed screen, but I don't think I'll see that much of an improvement to warrant the extra cost.

Da-Lite make some good priced screens that are more affordable, so they may be worth a look if you go the proper screen route, but I personaly would go for a better pj with my money.

having said that, a good screen will outlast your pj, so some argue that you'd be better spending your money there rather than on a pj you'll probably change in two or three years time.

It's a toughie isn't it? :)

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Couple of sites I've looked at for reasonably priced screens:

AV-Sales

Convergent-AV
    The Convergent site also has some useful info on the types of screens available, etc.

PS if anyone from either of the companies is reading, I'll be expecting a nice discount when the time comes for my own purchase ;)

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,789