Suitable replacement for Wharfedale 750

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davidcotton, Aug 18, 2003.

1. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

Well I've had the wharfedale for a few years now and feel that its time to retire it. Noisy transport (ie its LOUD!) and some issues playing back some R1 discs (flickery bands on Hercules:Legendary Journeys and Babylon 5 season 3 to name a couple) have pre-empted it.

Budget is around £200 though the lower the better. It will only be plugging into a 5 year old 21"Panasonic (bedroom setup you see) with its audio connected to a marantz KI Sig amp anyway.

Thought about getting the new Toshiba 330 from Richers. Anyone had any real hassle from these? Would this be a step up or step sidewise? Other candidates are :-

Yamaha DV-S540 at £150

Denon DVD-700 at£200 (top end really)

and finally

http://www.movement-audio.co.uk/website/pioneer-dv360k.htm

Any thoughts comments etc gratefully recieved (as long as they are polite of course :D )

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Get the Toshiba SD-330. Seems to be good.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    On a Panasonic 21" television the picture quality of most dvd players will look the same. I would only pay more than budget if your planning to change the television soon. If your television isn't 100% compatible with ntsc (i.e. flickery 60hz display) then you might want to choose a player that can playback ntsc material in both 50hz and 60hz modes. Most of these tend to be chinese. I'm told that some JVCs also do this but I'm not sure if the JVCs give a choice of 50hz or 60hz or just automatically convert to pal completely. The little Toshiba 330 only plays ntsc dvds in ntsc mode. Theres a Yamada model meant to be quite good from Amazon for £50 delivered. Theres probably a player from asda for less than £40 that will do the job plus give you a 3 year peace of mind guarantee. All the chinese players seem to be region hackable via the remote which means rce will never be a problem as you simply set the player to region 1 if needed.