Suitable PSU?

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am looking for a good PSU which would be suitable for a computer with the following.

Phenom dual core 3 GHz processor, 4 Gb DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Geforce GTX260 896Mb graphics card and dual large screen monitors. The computer is not for gaming, however, if there is a PSU that can handle the occasional game as well, that would be preferred.

Thanks.

A quality one if gaming or surfing , pointless otherwise .. you need at least £100 to spare ..

Hi All.

I am looking for a good PSU which would be suitable for a computer with the following.

Phenom dual core 3 GHz processor, 4 Gb DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Geforce GTX260 896Mb graphics card and dual large screen monitors. The computer is not for gaming, however, if there is a PSU that can handle the occasional game as well, that would be preferred.

Thanks.

Pretty much any PSU ~£45will certainly do the job.

That extreme power calculator is useless, where it overrate everything by 40%+. And ignore the capacitor aging, PSUs are meant to provide the rated output for the duration of the warranty (5 yrs?) and certainly the good manufacturers have taken that into account.

I have a system that shows 370W on the calculator (without adjusting load and aging) but only using 300W from the socket (~250W real) at maximum load.

Something like Antec, Corsair, Enermax or FSP will certainly be fine.

A 5 year warranty means nothing, it only covers the PSU, not the items it takes out.
I had a very good Antec, that took out a very good 200 quid mobo, don't think that the warranty of the PSu covered the mobo, I had to buy another one.. and the mobo was 1 month out of warranty..

I buy cheaper gear now..

A 5 year warranty means nothing, it only covers the PSU, not the items it takes out.
I had a very good Antec, that took out a very good 200 quid mobo, don't think that the warranty of the PSu covered the mobo, I had to buy another one.. and the mobo was 1 month out of warranty..

I buy cheaper gear now..

I had Antec failed on me before but certainly it did not kill anything.
If the PSU did cause some damage surely it will affect NOT only the motherboard (unless you're very lucky)

Perhaps there is a possibility that the Mobo took the PSU with it rather than the other way round?

Ok, so, using the extreme power calculator has been advised but has also been regarded as 'useless'. It has been suggested that at least £100 needs to be spent, but also that a PSU around £45 would do the job. Finally, Antec has been stated as 'very good' but can take out a £200 motherboard!

Now I'm even more confused than before I posted!!!! Haha.

Just kidding, everyone. Thanks for all the replies. I will see if I can find a suitable PSU and post back for any opinions. Thanks.

I wouldn't call that a spanner or every premium PSU manufacturer would design PSU's this way.

Seasonic are fantastic PSU makers, and if you are on a budget that one for £65 would more than suite your needs.

Ok, AnthonyG, thanks for the advice. That Seasonic will stay on my list of considerations then. If I DO go for a single large 12v rail in the end, would that mean that I would have to purchase additional cooling?

If I DO go for a single large 12v rail in the end, would that mean that I would have to purchase additional cooling?
No you wont need additional cooling. It is just how the PSU was chosen to be designed.

The single 12v rail PSU's that probably were suggested to you were the Corsair HX520 or HX620

They are both Seasonic build PSU's.

Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC - Ebuyer

Corsair 520W HX Series Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC - Ebuyer

There is the recently released HX650, but I am not sure on the specs of this.

Corsair 650W HX Modular PSU - Ebuyer

Bequiet should also be looked at, I am not sure if they contain a single 12v rail, but they are like Corsair the crem de la crem of PSU's.

I have just fitted this corsair one and its superb. Before shelling out check your power consumption on one of the available calculators as you may find you don't need as much power as you think (and save a few quid). From what i have heard this has a lot of power in reserve as well. The price has also dropped about £7 at scan recently, you may get it even cheaper on their today only offers, just keep your eye out.

450W Corsair CMPSU-450HXUK, Modular, Sli, ATX, EPS12V PS/2, 20/24 pin, 7 year Warranty - Scan.co.uk

Any opinions on this one?

http://www.rackmountnet.com/tagan-800w-power-supply-p-2208.html

It has 6 +12v rails (20A each), however, it also states

"TURBO mode switch can integrate all six separate +12V-rails into one single common rail with more DC power output."

Anyone have any experience of something like this? By using the 'Turbo' switch, would it be the same as if it were a 120A single rail?

Thanks.

ok what make to go for, i need a 640w according to the site so i will build in some spare capacity and go for 750w

however i have a very expensive one atm which is awefull, the fan is very loud and more importantly it kicks out more heat from the back than a 2 bar fire

oh and i need 7 sata power leads and 4 power GPU power leads

ok what make to go for, i need a 640w according to the site so i will build in some spare capacity and go for 750w

however i have a very expensive one atm which is awefull, the fan is very loud and more importantly it kicks out more heat from the back than a 2 bar fire

oh and i need 7 sata power leads and 4 power GPU power leads

Dear but the best ERV850EWT - 850W Enermax Revolution85+ PSU, 91% Efficiency, 6x PCI-E 6+2P, 12xSATA, 6x12V 70A, PeakPower 1020W - Scan.co.uk

or
CMPSU-750HXUK - 750W Corsair 750HX PSU, ATX, EPS12V, Modular, UK Version - 7 Year Warranty - Scan.co.uk

both are Modular and depends on price you want to pay there are a few models/makes around ..

or are you takeing the Smeg again :rotfl:

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions, provided advice and helped me choose my components. For your information, I opted for the Silverstone in the end.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom