1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suitable projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by monkeyboy69, Dec 1, 2003.

1. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    have recently had 2 very interesting conversation with regard to projectors. Basically I was asking the question with 2-3 grand in the pocket which PJ do I buy.

a david orton salesman assured me I could only get a good projector at 5k and upwards , the mention of sony pj's or z2 just caused disapproving shakes of the head and even gordon at event 2 said he wouldn't bother with anything in that price range.

Now I find this quite alarming but now i'm quesitoning are 2k priced projectors any good. I'm looking at about a 8 foot horizontal picture with a 16ft throw but now I'm undecided since these comments.

I tried to get demos but can't find anywhere locally to see for myself whether they are takling crap, anyone know of anywhere near stevenage (herts) where I can view a demo and not get any biased views.

also is it possible to get a cracking picture in the price bracket or am I expecting too much

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Absolutely not. You're not expecting too much at all. Sounds like the dealers have been in the wilderness for the last few months. Projector quality is moving on in leaps and bounds.

Boy do I really hate these AV dealer fascists that think that only the hi end is worth bothering about.

Ask some Sony HS 10 and 20 owners on here, or even Panasonic AE100 owners like me if they are happy with their gear and you'll probably only hear positives. Lets face it, it's all about expectations. Sure an £8K PJ is going to be better than a £1500 one, but whether its £6500 better is your decision. Why don't dealers let the customers make their own minds up as to what is acceptable?

What do you want out of a projector? If it's big screen entertainment at a fraction of the cost of a plasma try these for size:

Sony HS20
    NEC 1000
    Themescene H56
    Sim2 Domino

These range between £2200 and £3750.

And the Sim2 has had people asking "why spend more". At £3750 it is simply fabulous and if it were my money It would be top of my list. It was as good as a £7K Marantz I saw. And with none of the evil rainbow effect of DLP machines.

At £2500 the Sony HS20 is pretty special too. I saw this and the Sim 2 at an AV show and though the Sim 2 was better (IMO) but the Sony was pretty damn good for the money. I doubt you'be disappointed with either.

Chris

3. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm very happy with the SHARP XVZ-91E which I got with 6 ft electric screen for £2K. I consider it to stand up in the value/quality stakes well at that amount. I auditioned the Sim 2 and H56 and although I liked them I thought it was too much of a leap up from a 32" TV cost=wise! It would easily do an 8 ft image at 13ft. Check out www.nexnix.co.uk for their current offer...

4. Ricco

Ricco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know how much the new XV-Z200E is, but this little baby is a right cracker.

I went into my local Sevenoaks store on the weekend where they have just taken stock.

The XV-Z200E is true 16:9 also and has a few more connectors than the model it replaced. Contrast is very good also and brightness is a little higher.

From what I hear, the XV-Z201E is coming shortly which has the short throw lens.

Anyway, Sevenoaks can be good store to see all the models on demo. http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    By any chance, do you work for Sharp (or Sevenoaks....) ?

Sean G.

6. Ricco

Ricco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be nice.....Kramer has asked me also, I can confirm that I do not work for either company, I have friends who work at Sharp and Pioneer and a couple of mates who work as installation consultants. I only work for an IT company selling solutions for networks and printing. Beacause of this, I sometimes see a lot of the gear.

The reason I have a lot of Sharp gear is that my mate got me some discount at the factory shop.

So, just want to point out that I don't work for Sharp, Sevenoaks or any company in the AV industry, just boring old IT.

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Ricco

They couldn't organise a powerbuy by any chance? ;)

Chris

8. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received my BenQ PE8700 PJ. 1280x720 Resolution, HD2 Chip, 6 Segment/5 Speed DLP, 2000:1 CR/1000 ANSI quoted. Also DVI-HDCP input.

Can be had from Ivojo (whom really provided me with tip top service) at just over £3k. I had thorough demos before buying - used it with my equipment, as I would want to use it. Very impressed. Though will not be set up at home properly till end of the week.

Links that may be of interest are attached:-

http://global.benq.com/asp/Front/Be...5754&headline=Features&GenMenu=0&ParentId=131

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_3/benq-8700-projector-8-2003.html

From what I have seen so far I think ill be very happy with it.

9. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    tbrar

What else did you audition alongside it? I've had a look at the Sim 2 Domino which I thought was Fab. But this BenQ has a higher res and a similar contrast ratio. Looks a pretty cool machine. The only review I've seen of a BenQ machine was one of their lower spec machines which didn't seem to do too well.

Chris

10. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TBH Chris my background is not PJ at all, rather plasma, the PJ's that I have seen prior to this were at Event II and at another forum members house, whom has a Barco CRT.

I was interested in a HD2 DLP after Event II, but funds were (are !!) a bit tight, meaning that the Immersives/Barco's/Sim2 Xtra etc were out of my budget. I saw some talk about this PJ on AVS, looked into it further.

Once I was happy that on paper it met all my requirments, I liased with Ken from Ivojo who arranged demo's / decent pricing etc. I tested it with my gear (which is what I meant by thorough demo), couldnt fault it in all honesty and went ahead and bought it.

TBH at the price its at currently its certainly worth you having a look at. Perhaps get in contact with Ken from Ivojo ?. The PJ is being mounted Thursday, so Ill have some time over the weekend to post more detailed findings then.

As far as I am aware this is BenQ's first serious attempt at the Home Cinema market, and by all accounts/reviews/my findings (thus far) they have done a very good job at it - at a very attractive price point !!.

11. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ricco,

I wasn't insinuating anything by the question......... we've all got to work for someone ! (well..................... most of us.... any lottery winners out there like to confess ?? :D ). Your posts are clearly from a reference point of being familiar with the kit ( all to the good...) and I just wondered.......

All the best,

Sean G.

12. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DLP rules!

13. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tbrar

i to am going to get this one . BenQ PE8700 PJ. 1280x720 Resolution, HD2 Chip, 6 Segment/5 Speed DLP, 2000:1 CR/1000 ANSI quoted. Also DVI-HDCP input. very best . good price.

thanks

14. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe Davis,

Excellent :smashin:

One thing you may want to check is the 8700's compatability with your HTPC's graphics card. From your signature it looks like you have a nVidia card, there have been reported problems with nVdia cards and the BenQ's DVI input, ie the inability to run native 1:1.

This may have been resolved however, perhaps speak to Ken from Ivojo, I am sure he will be able to set up a demonstration where by you can take your HTPC along - as he did for me, also if worse comes to worse, buy a Radeon. At the price the PJ is at currently, your still onto a winner !

15. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow! Good upgrade root from my Z91E.

Hey - any of you guys had any experience with LCD screens? I'm looking to ditch my 32" now I have my PJ and am trying to find a decent cost effective small widescreen LCD - 15" or 17" for my coffee table...

Thanks in advance

17. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    pricerunner.co.uk or .com seems to be able to find the best prices on the planet..

ch