Suitable package...

Happyhaggis

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m hoping I can impose further and get some thoughts on a good TV and 4K Blu-ray player to suit our needs.
Our present setup is a 42” 1080p Sony TV to which we stream content from a PC using JRiver Media Centre.
We watch mainly TV shows and films, no gaming, no live TV and no sports. We view in lowlight, but not complete darkness and from a distance of about 9’
I think it makes more sense to get a 4K Blu-ray player for a 4K TV, than something to use with the PC to rip new 4K content to HDD. Over time, we’d replace our DVDs and Blu-rays with the 4K equivalent where possible.
I‘ve seen a Panasonic UB820 player recommended here, so would probably run with that if wiser heads on here agree! As for the TV itself, this is where I’m really struggling I’m afraid. There is so much choice, it’s blowing what is left of my mind. I realise that, from what I’ve read here and elsewhere, that we won’t really reap the full benefit of 4K at the viewing distance we have, but we‘re stuck with that. I know there are a few 1080p TVs still available, but it seems a bit of a waste to invest in older technology, especially as they’re not much cheaper than a newer 4K model.
In terms of real estate, we’d like something a bit bigger, maybe 49 or 55”, but no bigger. Budgetwise, probably around £500-600 for the TV.
My apologies for the lengthy, bordering on verbal diarrhoea post, but hope I’ve provided enough information for some guidance.
Many thanks! 🙂

Its worth taking the time to do a bit of research on HDR if you are planning to also get a UHD Blu-Ray spinner. Every TV and their dog nowadays will accept a HDR signal, but few will display it properly.

The cheapest path to get a TV now that can do HDR justice is the Hisense U8Q which is unfortunately above your budget. But I'd certainly recommend just not buying anything at all until you can afford to spend a bit more money or your experience with UHD Blu-Rays could be lackluster, or even worse, troublesome.

Thanks again for your help Dodgexander 🙂
Given the viewing distance of 9’ would I see much difference between 4K and normal Blu-ray?
Can you give me any idea how much I would need to layout for a good TV?
Apologies for pestering you.

9ft is a good distance to notice HD, but not really UHD. But there are other parts to UHD content that can give you a boost in quality apart from resolution. HDR being a big part of that.

The problem is, once you view too far from the TV to benefit from UHD and you don't reach models that have good HDR picture quality you start to wonder what is the point of upgrading at all?

I'd aim for a TV like the LG BX, Sony XH9505 or at very least the Hisense U8Q. The Hisense is the cheapest at £800 but you may consider paying a bit more for the other two if you want a TV that is more of an all-rounder rather than only a HDR behemoth.

Not pestering me at all.

Thanks yet again. 🙂
I‘ve had a look at the Sony and it won’t fit on my TV unit! The stand is designed to take their sound bar and therefore seems to extend to the full width of the TV which is 109cm and my unit is only 84cm. Our living room is quite small and we’re limited on where things can go, it’s the price we pay for living in a crofter’s cottage in rural Scotland.
The only Panasonic BX I can find is a 55” and that’s £1100 at John Lewis - more than I can afford sadly, even if I deferred the purchase of a Blu-ray player to some later date. Maybe the price will come down on Black Friday, if not, I seem to be rather limited in my options. Perhaps I’ll need to consider a 43” TV instead.
Right, off to take some paracetamol! 😁
All the best.

The Sony has adjustable feet on the 55". The inner measurements of the stands in the slimmer config are 80.7cm.

You can also buy your own central stand to fit any TV for as little as £20 from the likes of Amazon and eBay.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom