1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suitable laptop for Home cinema?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by eternaldark, Sep 15, 2005.

1. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Been looking at this TOSHIBA QOSMIO F20-110 seems to be ok as fancy the idea of using a laptop to form part of my home cinema set up. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Only question i have is that it doesn't have dvi out but vga, my plasma has an vga socket, if i was to connect via that would there be any visible difference between vga & dvi? It would be quite handy as it keeps my dvi port free for the PS3 :D when it comes out.

Thanks

Edit - meant to ask about connectivity to my amp for 5.1 surround any suggestions/ideas?

2. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    There are laptops with built in SPD/IF output, my Advent 7046 has optical out for instance, not sure how common it is though. Works OK here for 5.1 surround.

One thing to check: laptops can have surprisingly loud fans, particularly if built with desktop CPU's or hammered hard (playing HD formats). Difficult to stack onto other kit as well.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Why do you want a laptop for your home cinema out of interest ?

Richie.

4. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    well dont fancy having the pc in the lounge and thought that having a laptop would be more discreet and also would be quite handy for other uses as well, also for showing off photos etc, would be more practical for boring people with holiday slideshows. :)

5. jesta1865

jesta1865

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i have just taken delivery of a g20 and spent a fun hour setting it all up with the sky box and telly.

i am only using the cables that came with the tosh at the moment and the picture is still ok, bit of noise on the menus, and i may not have set up the config perfectly, but i will be trying when i get some new cables (proper s-video ones).

i have gone the lappy route as it means i don't have a big noisy box in the living room, and it will just sit on a table between the telly and the stereo, with just 3 cables to connect.

not only that, but it means i can take it away with me with either recorded material, or dvds in the car for the kids, and also for evenings if we don't go out (whilst away - used the dvds in the evening in holland last year whilst it poured down outside :) ).

lastly it also means i can take our music away with us, and we can play it at our leisure.

i am quite sure its a compramise and will be superceded in the next couple of years, but it seems the best bet for me.

i did have a couple of config issues with it, but the faq on the toshiba e forums soon fixed this as they come with generic settings and have to be told they are uk based (bios not media centre it knows).

i think unless you are a diehard perfectionist, its quite a good compramise, mind you the panel does show up the fingerprints, so keep the little cleaning rag handy :hiya: :thumbsup:

6. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    yeah thats exactly the reasons i want it all i have to do now is convince my other half that we really need it.

what would be the best way to connect it to my amp for surround sound?