Suitable DVD player for Toshiba 65HX93 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by avmad, Sep 7, 2003.

1. avmad

avmad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I am relocating from UK to US (again) and now I must get a whole new Home Theatre setup.

I quite fancy the Toshiba 65HX93 RPTV.

Given the features of the 65HX93, what would be an appropriate DVD player to bring out the best in it?

I am conscious of budget but not stuck on a number. I would be happy spending $400 to $500 on the DVD player but would go higher if I really could get something more suitable by doing do.

Also, what are the advantages / disadvantages of RPTVs over other screen types? Is this TV likely to be a good "all-rounder" (daytime / nightime / movie / cable / broadcast) TV?

Looking forward to your opinions!

I guess I will post into the other forums for the other questions I have about satellite / cable boxes, HDTV, TiVo etc in the US.

Thanks.

AvMad

2. avmad

avmad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other thing...

Is it true that most US DVD players are region 1 only (i.e. they cannot be hacked from the remote or whatever to play region 2 and other DVD media)?

I have lots of both UK and US DVDs and I will definitely need the capability to play both regions on any new player(s) that I buy.

If the multi-region thing *is* an issue, maybe there are UK players that would do the job equally well (preferably 100/220volts) and still provide the features that I will need?

Thanks again.

AvMad

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well US TV's don't accept PAL; so you're either gonna...

1) Sell your PAL collection and replace with NTSC versions
    2) Buy a PAL to NTSC converter (yukky, and expensive)
    3) Buy a display in the US which accepts PAL (Plasma?)

RP's need lowish light conditions- ideally no bright lights or sunlight hitting the screen. They look their best with maximum of 40W light bulb lighting up a UK-sized room (diffused, ie lampshade)

I would be cautious with a CRT RPTV when using cable as these seem have logo's all over the place, as I've seen screenshots with the various channel logos burnt onto the screen.

You best check www.avsforum.com as that site will have lots more experienced guys into CRT RP's (they don't sell that well in the UK due to the physical size)

RP's also need tweaking to get the best out of them. I would get a installer to..

Check mirror/lens/screen/in-between lens & crt for smudges, dust, dirt, dead flies etc.
    Perform electronic focus
    Perform optical focus
    Perform full convergence in all aspect modes, and geometry adjustment.
    At least colour, contrast, tint, brightness correction. Or if you have the money- full ISF colour correction.

I would also buy a DVD player in the US- you'll get a higher end model which will run off the local mains. If you buy a UK model you'll need a step up transformer.

Also US DVD player's don't have a PAL circuit, so unless you find a model that DOES then your discs won't play- even if they are Region 1 PAL (say if you copy a Region 2 PAL DVD and change it to Region 1)

My import 110V Sony pure Region 1 does not play PAL DVD's- if they're Region 0 PAL it just spits it out.

4. avmad

avmad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response!

Well, I built 'step up' transformers myself, the last time I move to the US so I can indeed go that route.

I had forgotten that the DVD itself is encoded in PAL. Does the PAL issue apply when feeding the TV with component (or any other) inputs as well?

Alternatively, can any UK DVD players output NTSC while playing a PAL DVD?

Cheers!

AvMad

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know of any DVD players that convert PAL to NTSC. If it was possible it'll look pretty awful.

I'm sketchy on the Component inputs- I vaguely remember something about it doesn't matter the input type via Component...not sure though.

6. THE DETROIT 1

THE DETROIT 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you need for your forthcoming toshiba tv is a dvd player that employs a mediamatics chip . i use a jvc and these do an excellant pal to ntsc feature without the need of external conversion , don't let people tell you differant . i use it on a tosh hdx5082 and on ntsc progressive its ace , it can't do pal > ntsc as prog but interlaced is very good. the pal>ntsc feature is standard on the jvc' s as long as they are region 0 , i made mine multiregion with a chip via jvbdigital.com . cost about $60 . as analternative you could get the new yamaha 540 which also does the conversion and get it multiregion for about 140 quid , i think it also has a 100v-240 v psu so no worries . the jvc's i.e the usa xv500 are about $120 !! bargain.

any further info just ask .

sparky

7. THE DETROIT 1

THE DETROIT 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as for rptv's ., yes to get the best out of them a set up is good , but you will be more than impressed with the quality out of the box. the tosh has a 56 point conversion customer setup built in . as for getting an isf , it will be about $500 personally i'm not bothering .smas club and costco are doing amazing deals on philips and panasonic plasmas if you want a 40" , otherwise get your tosh and don't worry too much about the isf claptrap.I assure you of that

8. THE DETROIT 1

THE DETROIT 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also burn can happen to plasma screens, we use comcast digital cable and though its true that you could get burn in of a logo , are you likely to leave the channal on the same all the time ? , most are dulled down anyways , don't wotty about burn in unless you are using it in a situation like a sports bar on espn all the time.

sparky

9. avmad

avmad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan-Silly and Sparky,

Excellent info. Just what I needed.

Cheers!

AvMad

PS: I still would like a definitive answer on the component inputs and whether an output from a PAL player using component inputs to an NTSC TV will work.

10. avmad

avmad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found a place where a lot of this multi-region info and products are captured and can be bought:

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/dvd.htm

AvMad

Now I'm just a pig in sh...

11. avmad

avmad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, my original question was slightly different of course: I wanted to know what player would pair well with the Toshiba 65HX93.

The reason I asked this is because that TV is an HDTV. Hence, it can accept HD input from some sources. I am assuming that I will want to get a player that can output a compatible digital signal.

I will keep looking on the web.

12. THE DETROIT 1

THE DETROIT 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as for component i can't give you a 100% answer.for rgb which is the same but differant to component.on rgb, pal or ntsc input works just fine .i guess the only way for sure would be to try it with somthing like a philips 963sa outputting a pure pal output , that said you would have to buy it to test it.

a place in n.y which does excellant mail order is etronics.com that do 963sa for around $360.

of course i would want to use the dvi input on my tosh but the choice is small and quality a issue.as i mentioned before i use a jvc with the tosh and it is excellant.they do some machines that do pal.ntsc and also dvda

13. THE DETROIT 1

THE DETROIT 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could try the momitsu over at hivizone.com . pal> ntsc / ntsc > pal and dvi and multiregion 100>240 psu. never seen one but maybe just the job for you.

14. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi Avmad,

As mentioned above, the Momitsu would be a good choice if your proposed Toshiba TV has a DVI. It can easily be made MR and will convert all PAL and NTSC DVDs to 720p and 1080i over VGA, DVI or component. Hope this helps.

Steve

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    waaahhhh! I want a HDTV Progressive RPTV with better internals & convergence/focus features, Firewire, tempeture settings, DVI, two Component inputs (and the other lesser features)

It's not fair! :(

I'm stuck with a standard interlaced CRT RPTV, manual focus/convergence and single Component.