Suitable DVD Player for SDI modding

sparkz

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the new DVDO VP30 with SDI and wanted to get a SDI modded DVD player to match it.

My current player, a Denon 3900, has been giving me so many problems I'm a bit reluctant to waste any more money on it and go for a new one probably not a Denon.

I've seen a SDI modded Philips 963SA. Is this going to be as good as anything else at that price? Audio is not the priority here and I have seperate gear for music. Any other candidates good for an SDI upgrade?

I don't totally understand how SDI works so I'm not sure what features in the player would be redundant if any? Is there any point spending much more?

Thanks for any advice...

Mark

That'd be a decent choice. SDI is basically the digital data off the DVD, decompressed then serialised. All the fancy post processing stuff like nose reduction and de-interlacing etc is redundant if you use this method of transmission to the scaler.

Gordon

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
That'd be a decent choice. SDI is basically the digital data off the DVD, decompressed then serialised. All the fancy post processing stuff like nose reduction and de-interlacing etc is redundant if you use this method of transmission to the scaler.
Gordon

Thanks Gordon. That makes sense now.

Denon 2900 - one of the best players ever made and even better SDI modded.

every player should be better SDI modded otherwise there is no reason to do the mod!

Nic Rhodes said:
every player should be better SDI modded otherwise there is no reason to do the mod!

Just curious. When comparing players which are SDI modded, would there be much difference (visually)? What features if any could actually improve a SDI picture?

May sound funny but its very important to get the mod done properly. A badly modded machine can look terrible. Make sure it has a good or more respected MPEG decoder. If these two details are good then your picture will will be as good as the scaler you choose will allow.

If however you are getting the VP30 would it not be wise to consider the purchase of a dvd player that can pass an interlaced signal via HDMI.
Arcam or pioneer?, thats if it works out cheaper than SDI modding. if not then go for it

Who does the mod is important (ie where they get the signals from off the board). My bodge jobs are no competitive to a 'professional' SDI modder.

How the mod is done is also important.

Ideally the mod should be on an MPEG decoder with few 'issues', in practice I prefer one that if you read the rule books isn't perfect.

Yes there is a difference between players. Here I prefer my Arcam DV29 to Philips 963 to Panny 82 to Panny 62. The Arcam is a recent addition. For me the first two are much better despite the whole class reputation of the Panny MPEG decoders. The DV29 just looks 'more vibrant' and the mod quality is second to none. Sound is also MUCH better on those players.

Jitter is an issue (I am getting a new jitter measuring oscillascope shortly and hope to publish eye diagrams amongst other things).

Boards for SDI do vary in quality as well.

beat me by 2 mins, what he said above ;)

Thanks for the comments guys. That's given me more food for thought :)

I suppose if I did get a HDMI player I could use a SDI input for a Sky+ box. Anyhow, I'll check the Arcam's HDMI or SDI mod. I did have an Arcam before the Denon and regretted changing it.

I've got a few weeks I guess until the VP30 is shipped...

Thanks, hadn't seen that one. That's two to check out.

The only issue I guess is that I'm not too keen to use the HDMI or DVI inputs on my plasma because it will only accept 60Hz on those (I currently use component). I know I would probably get a better picture with one less D/A conversion and all that but the judder (from panning shots) is too distracting for me.

The VP30 info says you can't have analog out if you use HDMI (with HDCP) which may limit that option?

Looking around at Arcam and HDMI, I noticed a comment on uk.media.home-cinema that mentioned the DV79 can output HDMI at 4:2:2.

Sorry, this maybe a stupid question, and ignoring HDCP, but wouldn't this give the same quality as SDI since that is also 4:2:2? I assume you have to turn off any processing like progressive and let the scaler do all that.

It's a shame you can't get Arcam mail order. I know the reason for doing, so they say, is so that you are looked after by a knowledgeable dealer who can make sure you get what you want etc. No reflection on Gordon, Joe and others here but my local Arcam dealer didn't even know what SDI was (I put the above question to them) or hardly anything about the player was without looking at the manual!

Mark

Thats how the theory goes but in reality i dont think thats the case. There was a thread somewhere that stated the signal was still getting some processing ie was not a pure signal. Pioneer claim the 989 does indeed deliver a pure HDMI signal. (and so by saying that they kinda are admitting the 868i is not a pure signal).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom