Suitable Denon AVC-A11SR Replacement

amigaone

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My trusty old Denon AVC-A11SR (originally retailing at £2k and the one down from the flagship A1 model) has died as a result of accidental damage involving children, detached speaker cable and short circuits - nuff said!

Luckily I have 'New for old' on my contents insurance but the cheapskate insurance company are trying to palm me off with a budget AVR-X2000 retailing at £500 with much reduced amplification power (the A11 was a solid 125W Per channel.)

I see that Denon has discontinued the evolving A11 and I'm having difficulty identifying a suitable equivalent replacement by this manufacturer - I was wondering if there are any helpful suggestions out there for when I reject the insurance companies offer!

Thanks

I would write an email or call Denon & ask their opinion on the matter, as no way would I take the AVR-X2000 (not saying its a bad amp) & if you like what they say ask for it in writing for the insurance company.

The nearest equivalents would be either a Marantz SR7008 or Denon's AVRX4000. I'd sggest you even try for the Denon AVR4520.

Last edited:
What criteria are the insurance company using for this comparison? Power output? I doubt it. Depreciated value? Then it's hardly new for old is it. The cheapest thing with the same name in the price list they saw? Probably. Like dante01 says go for the AVR4520. It should be about the same list. New for old in my book.

Thanks, all good advice!

I'll give Denon a call tomorrow (and hope to god their customer service has improved recently.) If I can get something in writing then that will be my strong arm.
The main problem I have with the insurance company is that they say that they won't replace with something that is of a greater specification. How can the replacement not be of a greater specification?! - amps have evolved over the last decade with most of the new formats and standards of the past 10 years now routinely available on even budget amps. What I need to get through to them is that it's the build, standard of electronics and overall sound quality that should qualify like for like but how to you get that through to the insurer?

I sense a frustrating battle on the horizon.

What about weight? That is a specification.

AVR-4520 16.5 kg
DENON AVCA11SR 20.5 kg

Last edited:
The Denon AVR-4520 seems to be available for £1300 at the moment,I'm about to get one myself.

In that case the insurance company have no leg to stand on. Except they will try, of course.

Well I spoke with Denon today who were really helpful. The guy said it was a toss up between the 4520 and the X4000 but on the balance of probabilities the X4000 would be a more appropriate as its 7.1 and opposed to 9.2 with the 4520. Either way he advised me to accept nothing less than the X4000 and said he would be happy to tell that to the insurance company or put it in writing to them - I'm sure they'll still try to fob me off but I have far more evidence to put to them now :)

Last edited:
Excellent. Denon Support even helping on insurance claims now. :clap:

Good to hear the news lets hope your insurance people can see the logic, dante01 was spot on with his choice of amp's.

Good to hear the news lets hope your insurance people can see the logic, dante01 was spot on with his choice of amp's.

Indeed he was! Spoke to them again today whereby it was clear that they had offered me a budget amp as 'the settlement process needs to begin somewhere'... In other words they admitted they were trying to get away with me accepting the X2000 so in real terms their pay-out was less :nono:

I know it's the way they work but for crying out loud, I've paid my premium so why not simply give me what I'm due from the off!

Anyway, they say I make a good point but now have to run past their resident audio advisor as apparently they possess 'greater knowledge as to which replacement is more suitable than Denon' :rotfl:

Bring on the clowns!

They are worse than lawyers ..you know the old saying never take the first two offers !! so why bother making them I say !! well keep us posted as I for one would be intrested to hear what you end up with.

Would be funny if they sent you a Denon AVC-77, the look on your face when you open it lol.

Hi, sorry to bring up and old thread but I was wondering what amp you got in the end?

My A11sr is starting to play up (intermittent output to the sub etc) and am in 2 minds as to which amp to get out of the denons.

Cheers

So frustrating when you read through a thread with interest. Someone asks for help and then never bothers to follow it up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom