Suitable crossover frequency

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by FunkyMonkey, May 4, 2007.

1. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I will buy soem floorstanders rated from 34Hz. Yet my sub is rated from 36Hz. I know for a fact that the sub will create more rumble than the sloorstanders. But the point of this post is to ask your advice on what you think I may need to set the cross-over frequency to? Obviously I will be setting the speakers to small to ensure that the low frequency effects from the main channels (in addition to the .1 channel) are handled by the sub.
    Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    In a movie situation , i let the sub handle only the LFE.

So i would make sure your floorstanders are set to Large or switch between crossovers to see which you prefer.

3. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    No hard and fast rules but 80hz is good enough for THX so... :D

The best thing to do is try it and see what you like. Even assuming your speakers go as low as they say, it doesn't necessarily mean they will sound better with a <60hz crossover. Sometimes (most?) letting the sub do all the hard work will give your seakers an easier time and sound better.

Only your ears will tell you which way you prefer it. :smashin:

Adam

4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    The only potential problem with this is you are effectively creating 5 LFE sources and in a bad room this could sound very boomy. You also have the added problem of the sub interacting with your fronts creating peaks or troughs at some frequencies.

I did try this for a while with my previous speakers but have since gone back to 'small' as my lates speakers are satellites.

Again I would experiment and see what you like. Let us know how you get on :smashin:

5. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If you set your speakers to small, which is accepted as preferable with a sub for surround sound, I question why you plan to buy large speakers? If you want your LR to double as a stereo pair for music then there is a case for "full range" LR.

But if you want your system predominantly for surround sound there is an even bigger case for small/bookshelf/standmount/satellites and a sub. But don't go too small, those sexy aluminium tennis balls masquerading as speakers may disappoint.

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    agreed

7. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I am goign to get the Tannoy DC2 as my front and back stereo. And teh DCC as the centre. The reason is that I love music as much as movies and have an extensive CD and a burgeoning SACD collection.

Regarding the points about 80Hz for THX, and setting speakers to large, and tower speakers, here is a fascinating article and links to some fascinating articles. It certainly blew my naive preconceptions and assumptions wide open....

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/bass-management-basics-2013-settings-made-simple

8. CasDon

CasDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Its really spooky as I was reading this very article yesterday through an entirely separate search.

I was looking at it as I'm unsure what is the best frequency to set my crossover on my amp for my KEF 2005.2's

During auto setup the Yamaha invariably sets the crossover to 80Hz which is the roll off for the satalites, KEF recommend that the sub crossover is set to max (as does the Yamaha's instructions).

But when watching films I very often am left feeling there is a lack of depth to the centre which I have recently begun to compenstate for by changing the centre eq to manual and upping the lower frequencies a bit to give voices a little more natural tone.

However reading this article I wonder if I'm doing the system an injustice and would help it by setting the crossover to 100Hz and letting more of the vocal LF be handled by the sub.

My thinking is that as the satalites roll off is 80Hz setting the amps crossover to the same is causing a slight dead spot between the satalites and the subs frequency response

Any thoughts?

9. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    If you look at the link from that page, here!
    It mentions;
    "On systems that offer a flexible bass management system, shoot for setting the crossover frequency for at least 10Hz above the lowest frequency your main speakers can reproduce cleanly."
    So going by that you would want to aim for 90-100Hz I would guess.

I tried setting my bookshelfs and centre to Small last night, since I don't have a variaable cross-over. It definately allowed the Subwoofer to play a more active part at slightly higher bass frequencies and at times the Sub seemed to give more impact when set up in this way.

I am awaiting delivery of a Mordaunt Short 309i, so more tinkering is on the horizon.

Also, quick question, anyone happen to know how I can find out my cross-over frequency when my speakers are set to Small? My recevier's (Sony STR-DE495) manual does not mention it anywhere.

10. CasDon

CasDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Sorry didn't see or remember that bit.

However that does confirm my suspicions, will try tweeking it later today cheers.

11. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    At least half an octave and preferably a whole octave, above the speakers natural -3dB point. You have to allow room for the amp to smoothly roll the sub off and the speakers in. Combining the speakers natural roll off with the amp's, will result in a bit of a hole at the frequency selected.

80Hz at -3dB is a little optimistic for the eggs. When I had the eggs, it worked best at 120Hz. But back then, I could fit the sub in at the front of the room to avoid directionality issues. If that's not possible, then 100Hz is as low as I'd go.

Russell

12. CasDon

CasDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks I'll try the amp at 120hz see how that goes for me, had altered it last night to 90hz and it seemed to fatten out the midrange a bit so I'll see what the 120 can do.

Cheers for the advice on your experience with the eggs

13. CasDon

CasDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Quick update.

I altered my yamaha's crossover to 120Hz and watched Unbreakable lastnight (wife is in a "middle of the road" mood regarding viewing these days :confused: )

Anyway have to say the vocals sounded very realistic and the orchestral music sounded very rounded and full so I'm very happy with the advice shared here - Cheers :clap:

14. oscarmadfish

oscarmadfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at the weekend i was messing about with my amp while watching alien v predator
    i tried the crossover at 90 from 80 and WOW what an improvement sounds twice as good and the sub really started working
    the bit where the alien queen breaks free and starts running was awesome i thought the f++++r was in my living room :eek: