Suitable CD-R Media for a Panny EH50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by joroma, Mar 24, 2006.

1. joroma

joroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Had a quick search and didn't find anything.
    My Panny EH50 is not playing VCDs. It recognises the fact that there is a VCD in the machine and displays the opening menu from the CD but will not play it. When I press the play button I get the little red circle symbol meaning this function not available. I am using Imation CD-Rs. Which CD-Rs do work?

2. 80sGuy

80sGuy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I recall, to play any VCD, you can't just press "play" from the remote. You might want to press the numeric buttons on your remote to trigger the "chapter". According to my JVC DVD player (not recorder) if I want to play the first scene, I would have to press "1" on the remote and "2" for the next scene or clip. After that, the first scene should continue on play all chapters/clips throughout the whole disc without any interruptions, until you press stop from the unit or remote. If your DVD unit is recognizing a disc as "VCD" then I supposed it is ready to play. Check your manual for playing VCDs.

Hope this helps.

3. joroma

joroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks 80s Guy. I pressed 1 then play and it worked!

It won't allow me to dub that file onto the hard drive though!

4. 80sGuy

80sGuy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great! :thumbsup:
    About dubbing that file into your HD...it is not compatible since it's compressed into a VCD file. Sort of like trying to record an mp3 track into a CD audio disc, it won't recognize the recording format.

5. joroma

joroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    So will it have to be a DVD file onto DVD media if I want to copy it to the hard drive? I've tried a DVD file on a CD and that didn't work.

6. 80sGuy

80sGuy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson:
    You can burn DVD clips into a CD, but you won't get much time out of it due to the large DVD file compared to a 700mb max usable CD media, maybe a small clip. I tried burning a partial clip from a concert video DVD into CD and got around a few minutes worth of material. It will play back as DVD format from that CD (on my CD writer that wrote the disc using Nero6) but I can't seem to get it to play with other machines such as a stand-alone home unit.