Suitable cable for USB powered HDD?

oyabun

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just got a Mator Onetouch 4 mobile HDD this morning for use with on the 360 and although it comes with a dual plug power sharing cable it works sound when plugged in with a single plug on the Xbox.

Thing is when I want to plug it in to my PC I have to bumble about down the back of my machine as I only have USB 2.0 thru a PCI card.

Therefore I could do with a spare short (About a metre) USB cable to leave plugged in to my PC so I can connect the drive without messing about... pure bone idle I know...

I have tried 2 other short 2.0 cables but although one gives the drive power it does not appear in my list of drives and neither cable works.

So does anyone know from experience of a cheap short cable (Type A to Mini B) I could use, it's like £4.50 - £6.00 for another dual plug cable but only £1.89 for a single plug (I know I'm a cheap git) just don't want to end up with another useless cable.

Any help would be most appreciated...

I find it strange that your other 2 USB cable wouldn't work. I don't see reason why not, unless they are being too long and the PCI USB2.0 card wasn't able to supply clean enough USB signal.

Why can't you use the dual plug original cable with your PC, and use the another USB cables (that failed for your PC) for your Xbox?

I find it strange that your other 2 USB cable wouldn't work. I don't see reason why not, unless they are being too long and the PCI USB2.0 card wasn't able to supply clean enough USB signal.

Why can't you use the dual plug original cable with your PC, and use the another USB cables (that failed for your PC) for your Xbox?

Sorry I should have stated the dual power lead works fine with both the PCI card and Xbox operating with only a single plug...

I can't understand it myself m8, but the other cables work with neither my xbox or PC, both the spare cables I tried were under 1m and the only difference I could see was a slightly slimmer wire (Although if I'm reading the cable correctly the wire used is the same gauge)

One of the cables made the hard drive bleep and the power light constantly flash and the other seemed to give power but nothing shows up drive wise...

Looks like I'll have to get another dual power lead...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom