Question Suitable Amplifier for Speakers, Sub, and Turntable.

unralan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I have a turntable with speakers and a sub but no amplifier yet. I'm not 100% certain what I need. So far I have the following items.

Pro-Ject Essential III - Turntable.

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers - 6 ohms 20 - 100 watt.

Wharfedale Diamond SW150 - Has internal amplifier and accepts line input (I think).

I was looking on amazon and found a Sony STRDH190, you can connect speakers between 6 and 16 ohms and the specs say it can power 100 watts so I think it would be OK? Also I see it has line out so I can just plug that into the sub and it will work? Maybe someone could recommend a good amp if this one is not suitable? I can't really spend huge amount though, somewhere between £150 and £250.

Thanks for any help.

The Sony appears to fit the bill quite nicely, with line out (for the sub) and phono in (for the Project). It also has an FM tuner section which may be an attractive feature if you will use it but if not perhaps there is another amp (rather than receiver) which would have the features needed and better value (less cost or better quality for the same money).

Power output should be plenty for the Wharfedales:)

Jim

Keep an eye on this, should go for £200-250, this blows the Sony out of the water and will cover off at least two more Speaker upgrades. Very good phono stage, pre outs and as much power as you will need.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
You cannot use the Sony’s outputs for a subwoofer.

They are a line output. That means they are at full pelt all the time, they are not controlled by the volume control.

This will make a good match with your other gear.

But if you can, I’d buy the amp ugg linked to in post #3

Top class.

Wow thanks all the help! I'm definitely looking at the Rotel. I see the Rotel and the Sony both can run two sets of speakers and the Wharfedale Diamond SW150 has "speaker level inputs" on the back. Does this mean I can plug the speakers and the sub to the speaker outputs of the Rotel or Sony (A and B) and then when I change volume, the sub will change volume too? Instead of using the line level output to the sub. Thanks again.

Wow thanks all the help! I'm definitely looking at the Rotel. I see the Rotel and the Sony both can run two sets of speakers and the Wharfedale Diamond SW150 has "speaker level inputs" on the back. Does this mean I can plug the speakers and the sub to the speaker outputs of the Rotel or Sony (A and B) and then when I change volume, the sub will change volume too? Instead of using the line level output to the sub. Thanks again.

Sure can. And with a little judicious experimenting with the x-over and sub volume it’ll all end up sounding quite mighty fine indeed.

... but I’d still go for one of the Rotels. They are grown up amps with the Sony being a decent starter amp.

So, up to £250 is JUST for the Amp/Receiver?

Alternatives -

That about covers in in New Amps.

Used amps are certainly an option, but you need to know something about amps to make a reasonable determination as to the value of the amp for sale.

The suggested ROTEL RA-1062 is probably a pretty reasonable choice for £65 -

The Rotel RA-02 is about 40w/ch. The Rotel RA-1062 is about 60w/ch. Both should be fine in terms of power for normal home use.

Steve/bluewizard

Thank you very much everyone for all the information, I'll be sure to pick one of the recommendations posted here :)

Hello guys, can I connect a Sony STR-DH190 to Magnat Monitor Supreme 802 speakers? In the amplifier's specifications says 6-16 OHM but in the speakers specifications 4-8 OHM
Thanks for your help

Hello guys, can I connect a Sony STR-DH190 to Magnat Monitor Supreme 802 speakers? In the amplifier's specifications says 6-16 OHM but in the speakers specifications 4-8 OHM
Thanks for your help
You sure can. But! You can overheat the amplifier if you connect pair of 4-8 ohm speakers to an amplifier which only accepts 6-16 ohm speakers.The amplifier most likely we’ll shut down. It we’ll overheat. Since the Sony amplifier is not equipped to work properly with your current speakers. Try and see if it sounds good on fairly loud volume. Still I doubt the combination we’ll work properly. You need speakers that are around 8 ohm to work properly with your amplifier. So be careful. You don’t want to damage the speakers, or the amplifier. Perhaps other people well also give their opinions...

You sure can. But! You can overheat the amplifier if you connect pair of 4-8 ohm speakers to an amplifier which only accepts 6-16 ohm speakers.The amplifier most likely we’ll shut down. It we’ll overheat. Since the Sony amplifier is not equipped to work properly with your current speakers. Try and see if it sounds good on fairly loud volume. Still I doubt the combination we’ll work properly. You need speakers that are around 8 ohm to work properly with your amplifier. So be careful. You don’t want to damage the speakers, or the amplifier. Perhaps other people well also give their opinions...
Thanks, I appreciate your help

Thanks, I appreciate your help
From understanding the amplifier has two pair of speaker outputs. So that means If you connect two pair of speakers (four speakers) then it’s important to check the amplifier, speaker settings to see if the amplifier, speakers can work together. Most likely 6-16 ohm settings is if you connect four speakers to the amplifier. Check the manual what it says if you connect only one pair of speakers (two speakers). It seems you have Sony stereo receiver. It says in the manual it is rated around 130 watt. Now that’s a lot of power. Unfortunately it’s only measured in one channel. So I don’t think it we’ll sound good at loud volumes. As an example. A normal stereo amplifier is rated 100 watts/8 ohm both channel driven. As you can see 100 watts connect to two pair of speakers is a lot more then 135 watt in one channel.

From understanding the amplifier has two pair of speaker outputs. So that means If you connect two pair of speakers (four speakers) then it’s important to check the amplifier, speaker settings to see if the amplifier, speakers can work together. Most likely 6-16 ohm settings is if you connect four speakers to the amplifier. Check the manual what it says if you connect only one pair of speakers (two speakers). It seems you have Sony stereo receiver. It says in the manual it is rated around 130 watt. Now that’s a lot of power. Unfortunately it’s only measured in one channel. So I don’t think it we’ll sound good at loud volumes. As an example. A normal stereo amplifier is rated 100 watts/8 ohm both channel driven. As you can see 100 watts connect to two pair of speakers is a lot more then 135 watt in one channel.
Thanks, I have the amp but I have not bought the speakers yet, what other speakers at 8 OHM would you recommend up to 300 Euros?

Thanks, I have the amp but I have not bought the speakers yet, what other speakers at 8 OHM would you recommend up to 300 Euros?
Dali, Wharfdale speakers. KEF, B&W can also work.There are tons of speakers out here. But it’s quite difficult for me to recommend proper speakers that we’ll suit Sony “watt” specs. Now I’m not saying your Sony we’ll sound bad! It’s your ears, and not least taste. Still stereo receivers don’t sound any good for my taste. I’m pretty sure it’s stereo receiver you have, I would google speakers that other people use with the Sony amplifier. If you can afford a new amplifier in the future. Then the new Rega Lo amplifier is very good. Good luck.

Dali, Wharfdale speakers. KEF, B&W can also work.There are tons of speakers out here. But it’s quite difficult for me to recommend proper speakers that we’ll suit Sony “watt” specs. Now I’m not saying your Sony we’ll sound bad! It’s your ears, and not least taste. Still stereo receivers don’t sound any good for my taste. I’m pretty sure it’s stereo receiver you have, I would google speakers that other people use with the Sony amplifier. If you can afford a new amplifier in the future. Then the new Rega Lo amplifier is very good. Good luck.
I will have a look at Dali, Wharfdale and KEF, B&W thanks for sharing your opinion

I will have a look at Dali, Wharfdale and KEF, B&W thanks for sharing your opinion
It seems it’s normal 2 channel stereo amplifier you have. It looked the same as the Sony receiver AV amplifier I thought you have. I hope I’m right now? Anyway it says it has 100 watts in 8 ohm both channels, 1khz. But it’s not measured from 20hz, 20khz. That could be an issue. And it also does not say if it doubles the watt in 4 ohm. Remember speakers may be around 8 ohm, but depending on how loud you play it we’ll drop to perhaps 4 ohm. Then the amplifier needs a good power supply to control the speakers. Sorry, not my intention to confuse you. Just trying to help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom