Suitable amplifier for AGK K-701?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Robs Ears, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Robs Ears

Robs Ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recently treated myself to a pair of AKG K-701s, partly because of the reviews and partly because of the looks. They put my speakers and amplifiers to shame, frankly. I love the things and was hoping to get more from them

The best source I have here for them is a Marantz CD7300, and plugged into that with a good disc, they sound pretty bloomin good to say the least! But there seems to be a lack of power to them at times, so Im wondering what my options are. I know nothing about headphone amps, other than Ive seen a few Creek models about that get decent reviews.

Ideally Id like the option of a digital coaxial input along with analogue, so I can experiment a little, Im just a bit scared of the cost of what Ive got myself into, so any good second hand options would be appreciated.

I listen to a whole range of music, but Im after something that suits the headphones more than anything and gets the best from them... as cheaply as possible... Any thoughts?

2. benmbe

benmbe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi Friend,

I myself shall be purchasing the AKG 701's within the next few months.

I am a serious Headphone enthusiast owning the Senhieser HD 600 / HD 650 of which are excellent allrounders of all music.

The cables on the HD 600's have been replaced with KIMBER CABLE and shall be doing the same with the HD 650's

The AKG 701's can be upgraded also ''Russ Andrews'' have replacment high grade alternatives.

I shall be purchasing a couple of headphone amps from ''GRAHAM SLEE'' MONITOR SOLO'S

The retail price of these are £485 each brand new, but you should be able to find these 2nd hand on the forums, or ebay ect....ect....

Shall look forward to hearing from you at some stage.

Genuine regards

Mark :smashin:

3. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The AKG's are more laid back than the HD650 and partner well with a an amp that is towards the treble end. I would recommend the Musical Fidelity Headamp V3 if you don't want to go to the price of the Graham Slee (which I believe is better and I have owned both).

However don't underestimate the Marantz headphone out I had a good sounding one on a CD player I had by them..

4. swayne

swayne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheaper option:

One of:
    CAMBRIDGE AUDIO DACMAGIC-08-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

and one of: Heed CanAmp >> Heed CanAmp 2 Headphone Amplifier

Expensive option: A Corda Symphony from thes guys Meier-Audio

Steven.

5. Robs Ears

Robs Ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

"The AKG 701's can be upgraded also ''Russ Andrews'' have replacment high grade alternatives."

Ill admit I was a bit disappointed to find that the 701s cable isnt a simple unplug and swap affair, so Ill have a little search around re changing that.

"The AKG's are more laid back than the HD650 and partner well with a an amp that is towards the treble end"

That all makes sense as they do very obviously sound best directly from the Marantz CD player, Marantz being known for a bit of a bright sound etc(allegedly).

And Swayne, thanks for those links too. Ill not touch Cambridge Audio with a barge pole though Im afraid, Im not a fan of their stuff at all.

Overall its looking like Ill have to get a few weekends in at work... bugger. Ill have a rummage on ebay in the meantime - cheers for getting me started. :thumbsup:

6. swayne

swayne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How do you feel about the Musical Fidelity V-DAC? It's about £155 at some online sites.

Steven.

7. Robs Ears

Robs Ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hard to say without hearing it - Im new to the decent headphone scene, a recent convert if you like. But its no frills looks and inputs look good to me. Ill have a look for reviews.

Backing the budget off slightly, any thoughts on the Little Dot amplifier with the 701s? It looks like a useful little thing..?

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Others to look at would include the Benchmark DAC-1,and also the Grace M902.

Neither are cheap,but both offer pre-outs and are superbly made.

One thing to note about the RA cables....I have a set that I used on my HD600s....the cables are well constructed,but heavy and very inflexible,with a lot of mechanical noise resulting from that,and also a lot of strain on the headphone connections.

9. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    lol if he is backing away with "little dot..." I doubt he will want to contemplate the above. I have both and they are excellent especially the m902 (as an all round hifi tool). However the m902 DAC is not as good as the Benchmark DAC in fact I didn't think it as better than the MF x-DAC v3. I use Benchmark as the DAC out from my PC into either a stax amp or the M902.......

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I agree....I included the above as the top end of what's available currently,and with the idea that the two of them can also be used as preamps which may be useful.

I've not tried the Grace,but have heard a number of reports saying the Benchmark is better all round,and having recently had a DAC clear-out,I'm now using a Cambridge DacMagic which is superb,even when used with a £4k amplifier,although I've seen the OP's views re Cambridge.