Suicidal Bridge jumper gets a helping hand!

Codehead

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Don't see the problem....if the guy wanted to die, he should be greatful, unless he was just attention seeking like the other 10 odd time wasters :thumbsdow

Don't see the problem....if the guy wanted to die, he should be greatful, unless he was just attention seeking like the other 10 odd time wasters :thumbsdow

Way to show some compassion, i pray you or or familiy are never in situation...:rolleyes:

the 'jumper' didnt die anyway thanks to them having an inflatable landing underneath for him, however, if the guy had died, wouldnt the 'pusher' be charged with murder?

He knowingly and willinging pushed someone off the bridge in a pre-meditated move as he wanted to stop the jumper wasting anymore time for all the people waiting to use the bridge.

Or even that now the jumper is injured in hospital, couldnt the guy be done for GBH or attempted murder or the equivalent charge in chinese law?

However on a personal level, i to have little sympathy for the jumper to be honest, if he did really want to die why not just use a less selfish method. Just my view.

its funny why we as a human race have to 'tiptoe' around this subject as we have to show compassion to the guys family etc etc. the jumper himself obviously doesnt care about their feelings if hes willing to cause them the upset of going through his death.

For most suicidal people its a cry for help so personally i find some of the views above and the actions of this man quite distasteful.:thumbsdow

Do you not find the actions of the person preparing to jump to be distasteful? At the end of the day, why go to so much bother to mess around with other people's lives so much? I mean, sure, have a cry for help. But go speak to someone, don't fart about with the police's time, blocking traffic (emergency traffic included) for hours on end etc just to 'be convinced' that your life is worth living etc. Personally I think that the guy who pushed him should be commended, if only for making that jumper realise he didn't want to go after all. Can you imagine being stuck in traffic for hours on end just cos some eejit wants to get some attention whilst a family member is suffering at home or something? It's all very well saying people should care more about one person on the bridge but at the end of the day, that person should be more considerate themselves.

Do you not find the actions of the person preparing to jump to be distasteful? At the end of the day, why go to so much bother to mess around with other people's lives so much? I mean, sure, have a cry for help. But go speak to someone, don't fart about with the police's time, blocking traffic (emergency traffic included) for hours on end etc just to 'be convinced' that your life is worth living etc. Personally I think that the guy who pushed him should be commended, if only for making that jumper realise he didn't want to go after all. Can you imagine being stuck in traffic for hours on end just cos some eejit wants to get some attention whilst a family member is suffering at home or something? It's all very well saying people should care more about one person on the bridge but at the end of the day, that person should be more considerate themselves.

can you imagine someone murdering a loved one just because he didnt wanna wait in traffic that little bit longer...:thumbsdow

Just to add as well, emergency services would not be blocked as they would be at the scene...

As for the jumper not wanting to go through with it still, where does the story say that?? If anything a push would make him feel lower..

Not quite the same context though is it? If a loved one was farting about wasting everyone else's time then I'd certainly expect action to be taken. In this circumstance someone took the most 'appropriate' action.

If I had a loved one wasting police time etc and I found out people died who might not have if this time hadn't been wasted then I'd be pretty annoyed to be honest.

*EDIT*

If the jumper did want to go through with it, why did he not just jump? His inactivity speaks volumes.

*EDIT mk.II*

There have been 12 attempted suicides since the beginning of April, if they each wasted 5 hours of emergency services that's 60 hours of staffing wasted on nothing.

*EDIT mk.III*

Sorry if i sound like I don't have sympathy with the jumper, I do, I just have no respect for his methods. At the end of the day there are plenty of different things he could do instead of going into such a public place etc. It just cries out, to me, that he never intended jumping and was more concerned at just getting a wee bit fame and notoriety.

Last edited:
that post shows a complete lack of knowledge of the subject...

most of these people have problems (however small or insignificant to you or I) that they dont want to approach loved ones with...

Remember the case of the young lad in Derby who jumped and killed himself after there were shouts of "jump" from the crowd and the amount of people that were shocked and disgusted by this? I see this case as no different only he was lucky enough to survive.

Personally speaking if spending an extra hour in traffic means a life is saved then put me down for 2...

that post shows a complete lack of knowledge of the subject...

Personally speaking if spending an extra hour in traffic means a life is saved then put me down for 2...

Once again I must reiterate for people to not jump to conclusions based on some text read in a public forum. You know nothing of me or my experiences and as such you should not comment.

And it's not 1 extra hour or 2 extra hours. Since April, 12 attempts, 5 hours for this one, say 3 on average? that's 36 hours.

Remember the case of the young lad in Derby who jumped and killed himself after there were shouts of "jump" from the crowd and the amount of people that were shocked and disgusted by this? I see this case as no different only he was lucky enough to survive.

I was just about to post the same, I was disgusted by the incident in Derby and nothing is different here. I would expect the person who did the pushing to be charged with something.

At the end of the day, anyone going to a public place to attempt to, or to actually kill themselves, should not expect the public to go 'Awwww don't do that, you're great, life's great, come down', they should expect people to say what they want wherever the are. Someone shouting jump is as appropriate as someone shouting don't jump. They're (the jumper) looking for attention, good or bad. I take more offence at someone killing themself and making some poor sod scrape them up afterwards.

If you think suicide is the way ahead that's fine by me but there are ways you can do things in private without the spectacle. There is absolutely no need to cause so much disruption to everyone else's life.

Considering mental health problems effect 1 in 3 people you would think there would be more understanding and knowledge on the subject. Calling someone an attention seeker for a failed suicide attempt is just plain ignorant.

Ok ok, you're all right, he wasn't attention seeking. He was crying for help... Oh wait... :rolleyes:

Hi,

I'm sorry, Rorrifett, there's no excuse for anyone to push a suicidal person off of bridge, simply because someone couldn't be bothered to be patient! :lesson:

As others have said, there's a shocking lack of tolerance and understanding regarding mental health issues, and until you've been "suicidal" yourself, you have no clue as to what it feels like to think that you are the absolute scum of the earth; that everyone hates you (even if that's completely untrue), and that all you want to do is kill yourself!

Whether it be a bridge-jumper, someone walking into the middle of a road, a drugs overdose, or someone who slices their wrists, no matter how trivial someone else thinks that suicidee's issues might actually be, that's no excuse for forcing someone to "get on with it"! :lesson:

You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself, for thinking that this story is humourous, and that the victim deserved to be pushed off!

Maybe you should try watching the film "The Bridge" about all the people who jump off of the Golden Gate Bridge. It's a sobering and disturbing film all about the after-effects of suicide! You may learn something from it! :lesson:

Pooch

Setting aside any moral or psychological issues and taking this story at face value, I'm giving Mr Lai (the pusher) the benefit of doubt.

It's reported that he went over the help the jumper, then seen that there was a safety cushion below, and thought I may as well help the other thousands sat here.

No-one died.

Hi,

I'm sorry, Rorrifett, there's no excuse for anyone to push a suicidal person off of bridge, simply because someone couldn't be bothered to be patient! :lesson:

As others have said, there's a shocking lack of tolerance and understanding regarding mental health issues, and until you've been "suicidal" yourself, you have no clue as to what it feels like to think that you are the absolute scum of the earth; that everyone hates you (even if that's completely untrue), and that all you want to do is kill yourself!

Right, wasn't going to mention it but since all you self-righteous types can't let it drop - I've tried to commit suicide. I know EXACTLY what it feels like to want to kill yourself to 'ease other peoples suffering since I'm obviously doing something to them which causes them to point out my ineptitude'

I would also like to add that you lot should be 'thoroughly ashamed' of yourselves for jumping down my throat with your moral high-ground and also for promoting this kind of behaviour in people.

Seriously, don't start second-guessing me or my character, you know nothing about me apart from some things I type in this forum. In fact, you've just made a fool out of yourself for being so without understanding my position.

Honestly, this place is filled with people who take offence at anything and everything, anyone posts a view and they get many responses telling them they aren't allowed to have an emotion, have a feeling or a veiw etc unless it conforms to the standardised robot view of the world. I said a while ago I wasn't going to post anymore personal thoughts or feelings cos I was infracted for my view, I've lapsed with this and will once again retreat cos I'm sick fed up of people like YOU thinking you have some kind of higher power (moral or otherwise).

Your views are as valid and invalid as everyone elses.

And seriously, stop forming pictures in your head of anyones situations, you know nowt and it wears thin reading your nonsense.

Right, wasn't going to mention it but since all you self-righteous types can't let it drop - I've tried to commit suicide. I know EXACTLY what it feels like to want to kill yourself to 'ease other peoples suffering since I'm obviously doing something to them which causes them to point out my ineptitude'

I would also like to add that you lot should be 'thoroughly ashamed' of yourselves for jumping down my throat with your moral high-ground and also for promoting this kind of behaviour in people.

Seriously, don't start second-guessing me or my character, you know nothing about me apart from some things I type in this forum. In fact, you've just made a fool out of yourself for being so without understanding my position.

Honestly, this place is filled with people who take offence at anything and everything, anyone posts a view and they get many responses telling them they aren't allowed to have an emotion, have a feeling or a veiw etc unless it conforms to the standardised robot view of the world. I said a while ago I wasn't going to post anymore personal thoughts or feelings cos I was infracted for my view, I've lapsed with this and will once again retreat cos I'm sick fed up of people like YOU thinking you have some kind of higher power (moral or otherwise).

Your views are as valid and invalid as everyone elses.

And seriously, stop forming pictures in your head of anyones situations, you know nowt and it wears thin reading your nonsense.

If youve been in that position yourself i would expect a lot more understanding of the issue. :rolleyes:

If people want to take a holiday off the forum moderators do accept PMs :lesson:

Whoa there! A little too much emotion from what was meant to be a 'funny' story.

Obviously there are deeper issues in this event, and I'm not suggesting that every cry for help should be treated in this way.

Perhaps I'm a sick puppy for my initial reaction of laughing at this, but I thought at a glance that the guy was just doing what everyone was thinking.

Wish we had that pusher round ours last wek when an idiot held up our train. If you are suicidal take some pills. Don't get me and my travel invoved in it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom