1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggests to air condition my theater room?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nsl2178, Sep 1, 2003.

1. nsl2178

nsl2178

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the projector on my room gets extremely overheated. Is there any type of placement tips you would have that might reduce the heat at all? Right now I have it about 3 feet(1 meter I think) high off the ground and the room turns into a sauna after 20 mins of viewing. I live in America and the whole house is on central air conditioning, I know in some countries in europe you can place an individual air conditioner in a room, would you guys suggest something like that? Any tips would be good.

2. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have recently installed a Panasonic AE300 projector in my room and like you realised, that and the amp and all, it starts to get pretty warm. So I decided to look into having air con installed. Even before the guy had come round to inspect and quote for having permanent air con installed, I changed my mine. Prices seem to be very high in the region of £1000!!!

So I looked at an alternative. Also I would probably only be using it during the summer cos here in the U.K. it isn't as warm as it's been this summer, all of the time.

I went to Homebase and purchased one of those portable air con units for about £200. The only issue with it obviously is that the hot air has to be exhausted somewhere. But I managed to create a very neat extraction hole through the wall (ensuring that it was well protected etc). So now in those hot summer days when it's about 30 degrees out, I can watch a film in a comfortable 18 degrees!!!

The only real drawback as you might have guessed is the noise. These aircon units can make a right racket. Somewhere in the region of 45db or something as I remember reading somewhere. But I just turn up the volume and everythings ok!!!

Well good luck with everything.

Chris Nightingale.

3. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I had considered getting myself a cheap (£70) evaporative air cooler for my room, but nowhere had them in stock with us having such a hot summer, and now that it's cooled down again, I don't need one. Hmmm, perhaps I'll need one next year...

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd suggest you avoid those evaporative air coolers like the plague .. unless you enjoy living in a steam-room. :) While the temperature MAY drop by a degree or two, the humidity WILL rocket of course.

The cheaper a/c units as Chris says make a racket because everything is in one unit, the only way to make it quieter is to have the fan/heat exchanger separate, at the end of a long umbilical in the case of a portable or through-wall and outside on the gound with a permanent fix.

A decent portable will set you back at least £1000 and the through-wall Fujitsu I just had installed cost me £1500 ... but since I HATE heat it was money well spent :) ... and is less noisy than many of the PJs people seem to have.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The professional through wall units with seperate internal fan unit and external condenser unit really are money well spent and the only real way to do it. Even the portable units costing hundreds of pounds struggle to cool properly and are noisy and cumbersome in most situations.

Although the professional Fujitsu/High Cool/Daikin type units amy seem expensive they can be installed in most locations for less than £1500 (mine do anyway as my company supplies and fits for less than that unless it is a mammoth room :) )

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I would agree with KRaGorn and Messiah.

A real 'split system' Air con system is worth the money.

I installed Daikin at home, maybe the lowest noise you can get.
    The one we have is 22db at lowest setting, so the specs say.

Remember that an Inverter heat pump air con unit is also an extremely efficient way of heating a room.
    For 1kw of electricity consumed, you get about 3kw of heat.

Compare that to a fan heater etc :)

Mark.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got an inexpensive portable unit earlier on this year on sale. It cost just over £200. Well, being Kramer & having worked with refrigeration in the past I had to take it apart for a little look :eek:

It's actually a very well built & powerful unit - I was more than surprised given the low cost.

It makes one hell of a racket though. It struggled during the intense heat recently but still kept the room temp a good 8/9 celcius lower.

Useless during a film but handy to switch on for an hour or two beforehand to "chill" the room.

Aircon, in whatever form (NOT evaporative!!) is a Godsend for movie rooms, especially, if like me, one doesn't like heat.

8. nsl2178

nsl2178

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everybody, I am still considering options on what to do. But thank you.

9. Sierix

Sierix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To go on a different tack here...

After getting dust in everything PJ related and reading how cleaning them blobs is a bit of a pain, I invested in a air cleaner and ioniser combo thing.

£50 from Argos - fantasic, no dust in the air to get in the PJ and the bonus is that its feels like you are sitting in the Alps, oh and not much dusting is needed in that room ;)

10. BigTone

BigTone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +951
    Whats all this talk about it being hot in the UK this summer? It may have been hot outside, but cool indoors.
    How do we do it? Easy bought a house with the sitting/loung/cinema room with an east facing window, so it only gets sun in the early morning. Its usually the coolest room in the house even with all the gear turned up.

Tone

11. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    There you are guys, just buy a new house. :rotfl:

12. jaybeegee

jaybeegee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesnt the ioniser deposit the dust anywhere that is positive or negative charged - despite the filters some of them have. And that deposited dust is like soot. hope the pj is not not charged....

jay

13. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I managed to get a "Through the wall" aircon unit from B&Q for £99inc VAT.

It did involve knocking a 20"x15" approx hole through the wall though.
    From the outside, it looks similar to a gas wall heater vent etc.

Once fitted and sealed from the outside world, it has proved a god send.

It has plenty of fan settings for use during a film etc. You can point the air direction as you please including a powered "louvre" mode.

The noise level is similar to a PC, when set to it's "low fan" cool setting.

Yes i would have liked a £1500 near silent system (who wouldn't?), but money was a little scarce at the time.

Before the aircon was fitted, the room was unuseable even with a bit of sun about. So for the price of a little extra fan noise, it makes the room at least useable etc.

If the fan noise did bug you, maybe cooling the room down before use would be a solution.

I found we also had a complete "upstairs" cooling solution during the recent heatwave.
    All we did was turn the unit on full fan/cool, with the vents pointing at the cinema door, thus sending cool air straight across the landing and into our bedroom! (It worked an absolute treat!) :smashin:

14. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have any of you seen the Globalcooling web site where they sell a split unit heat pump air conditioning system you can install yourself (with some diy knowledge; they do an instruction video) for a little over £500:

Globalcooling - Millennium system

:)