Suggestions

witchdrash

Established Member
Reaction score
The only real area I struggle in with home cinema is speakers, I struggle to get my head round the maths, and there are way too many choices and half the stuff you guys are talking about is makes my head hurt, so I'm trying to get some ideas about a short list of speakers to go and trial.

I picked up a 5.1 MJ Acoustics Xeno set about 6 years ago, and while I have been hugely impressed with the sub, the speakers themselves have struggled to bring much clarity to what I'm watching, they're infinitely better than the tv, but regardless of what I do they never feel to be particularly immersive. Even after upgrading to a Yamaha RX-V667 last year, which massively improved the experience over my old Sony receiver.

So I've decided to try and get my head round the speaker question and take a look at upgrading the speakers for my set up, but plan to keep the MJ Acoustics sub.

My budget is around £1000, this is for 2 front, 2 rear and a centre, but could go higher, but I'm aware at some point my amp will limit the benefit from spending more on the speakers.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Last edited:
I know it is not what you to hear but I think the weak link is still your amp. I guess when you say it is not particularly immersive that you have heard a better setup at a friends. If so what did they have that you have set as your goal to beat.

My big problem was buying second hand from here and then collecting in person so I could get a demo of their new kit which would set me off on the path of another upgrade. By the way there is a DSP-Z7 for sale just now that would give your system an enormous lift and might leave you some change for a Oppo 93eu.

A couple more questions, what string have you got the speakers connected with and what length. Also what source are you using.

I just checked and your 667 has pre-outs so could be paired up with a power amp which is the first step to home cinema nirvana.

No idea as to what the cables are they're from my original set up as advised by the shop, quite happy to make up new cables. Lengths are 1.5m for front left and right, 1m for centre and 3m for rear.

Sources are ps3 for blurays and ps3 games, Xbox 360, sky hd, apple tv for my ripped DVD collection and music.

Last edited:
It is unlikely new cables will make much if any difference but for less than £10 you could find out. I am on my phone so posting links will take a little time.

Have a look at these banana plugs, they have two screws to grip the cable firmly and give a very positive grip when pushed in to the back of your amp.

Cable to follow.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It's more the fact the sounds get confused and bleed into each other, so voices can be difficult to distinguish from background music etc, I've auto-calibrated and adjusted and adjusted the settings, and I did demo the v667 before purchasing it and the audio was much better in the demo room, none of the blending of different aspects of the movie audio, having changed the speaker to some very cheap 5.1 computer speakers I had lying around the sounds were much harsher and unpleasant but all the different tracks were distinct.

What speakers did you demo with your amp.

Have a look at the orb speakers.

Also these Monitor Audio Bronze, but I would look to getting a set without the sub and get a BK one instead.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom