1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suggestions wanted - 30" or larger LCD for desktop PC use?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by grw110, May 9, 2005.

1. grw110

grw110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, wondering if anyone can recommend a brand and model of 30" or larger LCD for use exclusively as a PC monitor? I'll be using this for email and web search, and will have it placed on my desk like a normal (PC) LCD display.

Yes the question is WHY i'm interested in using a big LCD this way... answer is ergonomics; I need to spend the next 3 - 6 months leaning back in my desk chair when I work. A large (30" or so) display at medium res (1280x1024) is what I need to get this done.

So, my #1 criteria is display sharpness. Picture Outlook running 70% of the time and you'll get the idea; i'm not picky about color fidelity, pixel response time (won't use it for video), etc. I'll be using DVI (not vga) as the only connection method to my PC.

I've been disappointed by trying a few LCD's from the big-box stores that looked good when when they were displaying the in-store demo loop (i.e. pretty pictures and james bond scenes) ... but looked terrible when fed by the static image provided by a DVI-enabled PC graphics card displaying an XP desktop or Outlook. The Philips 30PF9946D really suprised me - seemed like a good product otherwise, but looked terrible when displaying PC output. Yep i'm running the PC resolution at the native resolution of the LCD so there's no pixel interpolating; this is how i'll use whatever product i purchase to get the best-looking display. (And my current PC DVI out does a great job driving my 19" Sony SDM-S204, so I know there's no signal issue.)

Is there a feature of LCD's that makes for an especially 'crisp' display of static images that i should look for ? Any suggestions of make or model?

thanks!

grw110
    gward@N-O-S-P-A-M-blarg.net

2. Arob

Arob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get a great picture over DVI with my Hitachi 32LD7200, but I am sorry to say it has problems dispalying more than 1024x768. More info in other threads here.

I stetch the image to to fill the screen and it is very crisp and clear despite this.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My Philips 9986 displays 1280 x 768 pixel 1:1 perfectly. Stable, sharp, no bother. This leaves a narrow band each side making the screen 15:9, but this doesnt bother me at all. The 9976 will do the same at a lower price.

There are, however, many cheaper LCD's that'll do fine at this too. Check out the Video7, Relisys, etc. etc threads for more info...

Jimmy

4. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Sorry, I have to disagree. The stretched 1024x768 is not crisp or clear at all, at least not compared to native res. When on the PC input, flick between "Full" and "Real" on the hitachi remote (screen zoom button) to see the difference. If it's being used solely as a PC monitor, I would not recommend the hitachi. I can get pretty much native res using powerstrip, but it's a right pain. There's plenty that would do the job better.

grw110: If it's clarity you're after, why not go for a LCD designed for PC use? I see you've already got one; why not upgrade to a larger version? Using a home-cinema LCD will mean you're paying for features you'll never use, eg. fast pixel response, picture processing etc. And you'll have a lower resolution (= lower clarity). Latest NEC 21" LCDs run at 1600x1200, for example. I've never rated 16:9 for office use either- most programs are designed with 4:3 monitors in mind.

If it's really screen inches you require rather than resolution, as Jimmy suggests, I would look at the Relisys, which I believe manages native res over DVI (although there's some trouble with ATI cards I think).

matt