1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions to get the most from my pt200ae

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Neil_B, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Neil_B

Neil_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if similar queries have been raised, although I cant see anything for this model.

I've just got a Panasonic pt200ae Projector, and am really happy with the picture so far!

My setup includes:

Pioneer DV444 DVD (MR)
    Pioneer VX808RDS Reciever
    Kef 15.2Q fronts
    Mission Centre
    Active sub
    Mordant Short MS302 Rear
    Panasonic Digibox
    PS2

and a sheet of matt white emulsioned MDF as a screen hanging from the joist in the ceiling!

My question is what should I buy next?

I would like to connect the sky box, ps2, dvd to the projector, but also need to have them connected to the 32" Wega TV at the other end of the room.

Someone mentioned a video scaler to get a better picture and more inputs to the pj. my amp has svideo switching, but how do I get the ps2 and digibox into the amp? is it just a cable or is there some kind of conversion necessary?

also I guess I need a screen? roughly how much should I spend on this bearing in mind the pj cost just under 1grand?

sorry for all the questions but I'm becoming confused with all the options!

Thanks in advance

p.s. the 200ae has svideo, component, and rgb scart inputs on the back

:suicide:

2. Neil_B

Neil_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no one have any input for me?

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi and welcome to the forums........

The delay in reacting to your request might be because it's not very clear what you want to do..........

.......... but you're looking for suggestions to get the most from your projector...........

I'm absolutely not trying to be unhelpful here............. but re-reading your post (a couple of times, TBH) - I think this is the advice I'd offer:

Screen: Lots of people have DIY fixed screens, either painted or blackout cloth - most reactions I've seen from people who've changed to commercially produced screens has been positive, more or less. For the AE100 (same light output as 200), Kramer reckoned that a commercial screen would have been an improvement over my home-made one, and I respect his opinion in such matters. As to what screen you could consider, this is an issue of the size and type you want, and your budget - I don't know a lot about commercial screens - but if you do some searching (also check out progress with Kramers potential powerbuy for details of screen type etc.) you could narrow the focus of your options.

Connecting stuff:

I'm not sure about being able to have your kit connected simultaneously to the telly and your PJ - but I'm not the connecting stuff up guy........ afaik, you can get Svid out of a sky box, you can deffo get svid out of your ps2, so you can route both of them through your amp in any case. If you do some searching on the forum you'll find lots of posts about connecting up gear.

I recognise that this post is probably not answering your questions directly, but it might help you to clarify what you want to do yourself.

You haven't given us much of an idea about your set-up, I assume if it's in the same room as the telly, it's probably in your lounge/whatever, as opposed to a dedicated room - would a screen make a difference in terms of the physical setup as well as interms of improved picture quality ? As for a scaler, I don't know how good the AE200 is at scaling itself, but in general terms a scaler is an improvement with most projectors, as well as offering additional versatility in terms of hooking up your gear.

I hope you get some further advice, although the weekend can be light in terms of forum traffic.

All the best,

Sean G.

4. Neil_B

Neil_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, I guess I'd better clarify.

my setup is in the lounge, the equipment is in the TV stand which we made using 3 x IKEA Beech Bedside cabinets without the wheels. This setup means that my screen (7x4 sheet of painted MDF) hangs down to just above the TV. The PJ therefore is across the other side of the room. I want to be able to switch between the TV and PJ for viewing as I dont intend to use the PJ as a TV, but more for watching films and golf/playing the PS2 occasionally.

Is this an unusual wish? I wouldnt have thought so, but maybe everyone else has dedicated cinema rooms, or uses their pj all the time.

anyway I want to ceiling mount the pj and run cabling discretely, this means swapping cables would soon become a bore.

anyone have any suggestions? also my pj has a dead green pixel from new, should I send it back, or is there no point? I'm told that dead pixels are quite common on lcd panels...thanks again