1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions required for AE100 Replacement

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Seahorse, May 21, 2003.

1. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have someone interested in buying my Panasonic PTAE100. This is a short notice sale, not due to any dissatisfaction with the AE100, but as I can get good money for it, they guy buying it has no choice (he is posted in a couple of weeks) it would be foolish not to take the opportunity.

The question is what should I replace it with? I can go up to about £1,700 - £1,800.

Should I be looking at an AE300 or is there something better out there for similar money. I am not up to speed with the market at the moment as I said, this literally came up in a conversation today & I need to action it before the week is out.

TVM

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mike,

The AE300 is well within that budget and has a short throw like the AE100 and is getting rave reviews here and over on avsforum (usa). There seem to be no bad reports, which is also re-assuring.

The Sony HS10 is also available in the upper area of your budget, has a long throw and some references to being a little noisier than a Panny owner might be used to - there have also been discussions on the forum as to issues with a relutance to fire up first time out. However, Kramer demo'ed his HS10 to me and it produces a seriously nice picture - high resolution, perfect colour uniformity, no screendoor, really yummy. Haven't see the AE300 - but lots of accounts here on the forum and while the AE300 has lower resolution panel than the HS10, (960x540 vs. 1368x768), the "smoothscreen" technology employed by Panny is reputed to reduce screendoor very significantly, with menu "tweaks" well publicised on the forums to improve its performance further.

Check recent thread about Av-Sales showcase - very detailed comments by Messiah and Fulabeer should help you further.

Have fun choosing !

See ya,

Sean G.

3. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks mate, better slam a similar one up at the 'other' forum...!