1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by gon4x4n, Jul 1, 2003.

1. gon4x4n

gon4x4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all! I thought I was all set to buy a Mini DV camcorder because I wanted video and still capability. However after seeing the quality of a 1 Megapixel still on a camcorder and realizing that I won't ever take more than a few minutes of video I think I can just buy a good digital camera.

What I would like from a camera is photos that are real nice at around 8x10, a really nice movie quality and a burst mode.

I want the burst and movie modes to capture hard to get photos of my new son and my sand dune truck for jumping and drive by's

I certainly not a pro I just would like High quality.

Are there any cameras that can zoom in movie mode?

Some Models I am thinking about. Fuji Finepix S602, Cannon G3 or whatever you suggest.

Thanks so much!

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Digicams and movie quality are like saying digital camcorders and photo quality!!! Even on a G3 I think its still 15 fps with a width of 320 pixels, not exactly broadcast quality. Gets even jerkier in a fast moving scene.

3. gon4x4n

gon4x4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Fuji FinePix S602 has a 640 x 480, 30 frames/second movie mode. how would that compare to camcorder quality? Even if its VHS-C or 8mm quality it would probably be ok with me.

The other alternative is to buy Sony's TRV-80 which is a progressive scan camcorder that can take 2mp stills, but at $1,400 i'm not too excited about this option.

Or would I be better off buying a good 3/4mp still camera and a HI8 camcorder?

this is pretty confusing, so any help you can give would be appreciated

thanks for your help.

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wow things have moved on. Whilst not DVD quality 640X480 isnt bad I think DVD is in the region of 576X720 at 25FPS.

Why go for Hi 8? Even budget DV/digital 8 will give you far better results that you can easily store on the PC.

5. gon4x4n

gon4x4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I was considering HI8 just because there cheap and I'm not really looking to make home movies or anything just a way to be able to look back at my son growing up.

I really like the Fuji FinePix S602 except the fact that I don't know if not being able to zoom while making a movie will be important to me.

thanks again

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Id still go digital. Even if you dont edit, simply archiving to CD or DVD gives you an insurance policy to the tape being mangled!!!