1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions please for rear speaker stands, then rear speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NicolasB, Jun 24, 2003.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    Still no sign of my Bryston SP1.7 :( so that gives me a bit of time to think about rear speakers.

The rest of the system looks like this:

Arcam DV27 player
    Bryston SP1.7 processor
    Bryston 9B-ST power amp
    B&W Nautilus 803 front speakers
    B&W Nautilus HTM1 centre speaker (should be ordering soon)
    Paradgim Servo 15 subwoofer

(I've also got a Bryston 4B-ST amp which I may keep to drive the 803s or may sell on).

Now, I've got a pair of old Sony bookshelf speakers which I've been using as fronts for years, and which I will be temporarily redeploying as rears. But I am going to need to buy some rear-speaker stands to mount them on. I could get something really cheap and then reassess my options when I buy proper rears. Or I could get something reasonably decent now and keep them, assuming that whatever rear speakers I end up with suit them. I was thinking about Atacama SE10s, which seem not too bad value. Anyone have any other stand suggestions? (Obviously, being stands for rear speakers, they need to be a bit higher than front speaker stands, probably at least 1 metre, I would think).

The next stage will be to buy some proper rear speakers. There are some obvious candidates from B&W's own range, namely the Nautilus 805, SCM1, and maybe 804 (although obviously 1-metre high stands wouldn't be too useful to mount 804s!). Clearly there is more auditioning to be done, there, but I'd be interested in people's opinions not just of these speakers in the abstract, but also whether or not they would match the 803 and HTM1 fronts. (My suspicion is that the SCM1s are a bit too compromised in their design, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong).

Or maybe I should consider some less-well-matched but probably-better-sounding Signature 805s? (It would stick in my throat having to pay that much for the fancy finish on the case, though :mad:).

Of course I could go mad and buy a second pair of 803s or even go totally insane and try and lay hands on a 2nd-hand pair of 802s and move the 803s to the rear. I've never listened to 802s, so opinions are welcome there, too. (I'm trying not to think about how expensive that would work out if I wanted to go to 7.1! :suicide: )

But one other interesting possibility would be to go down the dipole/bipole/tripole route. I've heard non-monopole systems in action, and I do quite like the effect; but of course B&W don't do a Nautilus dipole speaker, so there might be tonal matching problems, and there's also the issue that the room may be a bad shape for non-direct radiators - I think the back wall is too far behind the listening position to catch the reflections properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions for di/bi/tripoles that might be at least an approximate match for the B&W fronts, or at least of a sufficiently satisfactory quality that they wouldn't annoy me every time there was a sound in the rear speakers? I was toying with the idea of some high-end M&K tripoles, like the 2525 or even the new 2575, but even the passive version of those would be pretty pricey....

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't heard these Nic, but are £900 (bipoles)

Do you prefer bi, di or tripoles?

You probably know the full range of M&K surrounds so won't go into that.

I guess the only way to find out if non-matching sides/rears makes a difference is to borrow them.

Has anyone got a complete list of bi/di/tripoles that Nic can go through?

[edit]

oops I can't link, but it's the JM Labs Electra 900 surround.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever listened to bipoles. I've liked some of the better M&K tripoles, but that's partly just because they are actually quite good quality (not to say pricey) compared with most of the dipoles I've been exposed to.

Oh, and your link's broken! :rolleyes:

4. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NicolasB

I have a similar system to you now

Marantz CD7
    Arcam DV27A
    Bryston SP1.7
    Bryston 6B SST
    2 x Bryston 4B SST
    2 x B&W Nautilus 802
    4 x B&W Nautilus 803
    1 x B&W HTM1

I have just recently added the 802's and they sound slightly different to the 803's as does the HTM1.

I am more than happy with the overall sound but others may prefer identical speakers all round. So you should listen to all the speakers on your list.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    How do you rate the 802s as compared with other speakers in the same sort of price bracket?

6. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Now, that's a great setup there gazza:smashin:

Adzman...

7. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listened to the KEF REF 207s and the 802s in the same demo. I am probably used to the B&W sound now and preferred the 802s.

I also considered the B&W 805 Signatures for side speakers, but to my ears the 803s where better from the low mid range down. While the 805 Signatures looked amazing they weren't what I was expecting.

The 802's don't really add much to the system for HC. I still don't use a sub and the bass is certainly deeper. Will trawl the forums for sub recommendations over the next few weeks.

I like to listen to the stereo 192Khz/24bit tracks on DVDA. The 802s are significantly better than the 803s for this, especially the mid range. I certainly wouldn't want 5 x 802s in the family room though.

Speakers come down to personal taste and all the speakers I mention sound great.

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    I would imagine that it's in the mid-range that the 802s would pull ahead of the 803s, thanks to that "tear-drop" enclosure. 802s are awfully expensive, though. You're not far off some nice Wilson Benesch speakers at that price....

Did you ever audition 804s?

And hasn't anyone got any recommendations for rear-speaker stands? :)

9. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also been looking for rear stands. The selection out there seems very limited. Especially if you are after something reasonably subtle!

I am looking for something for M&K K series

10. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would definitely keep to the same make speakers on the rears - and make sure that they match tonally with the front.

Also, it is worth considering running full range speakers on the back - the amount of detail that is passed to them now is considersably more it used to be (DTS, DVD-A etc) - so long as you have room (and money!) that is.

Lastly, I would also use the same cable throughout your system - all helps to keep the system sounding as one.

11. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't heard the 804's but did like the 805's (they are excellant value for money). HNE will make custom size granite stands to your spec but this will cost. I know there are other stand manufactures who will custom build to your height and spec for less.

I have the rear 803's on granite plinths which put them at just the right height.

Wilson Benesch get good reviews and I will consider them for my basement when it is finished. I may also look at M&K and a lexicon MC12B for this room as it will be for HT and not music. This could be quite sometime off.

Let me know your thoughts on the Paradgim Servo 15 subwoofer when you hook it up?

I haven't received my SP1.7 replacement either. I stated that I wanted OS 44 so thats probably holding it up. I think it will be closer to eight weeks before you see your processor.

12. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    The MC12B is extremely musical so long as you are using the processor's DACs. I wasn't so impressed with the analogue bypass.

I would love to give you my opinions of the servo 15 - my TV has a subwoofer output for Prologic use - but when I unpacked the sub on Sunday night I discovered that Richer Sounds had neglected to include a power cable. :rolleyes:

I emailed their customer services email address on Monday, but haven't had a response yet. :thumbsdow

:(

13. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't get power cables with my Servo 15's either :mad:

14. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Paradgim Servo 15 subwoofer is off my list then.:laugh: Do SVS or Velodyne subs come with power cables?

What do you think of the Servo Sticker?

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    Well, I'm sorry, but it's the principle of the thing. :nono:

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think if you can afford to spend several thousand pounds on a audio system and exotic cabling I'm sure you shouldn't kick up a fuss regarding a £3 power cable.

Anyway it'll give you the chance of buying RA or other fancy mains cables! :D

17. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan could you recommend a sub to go with my power cable?:nono:

18. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Nic B's Servo 15.:devil:

19. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    I certainly can, but I shouldn't have to.

You can have it for £600, buyer collects. :D

And nathan, you should know by now that I'm a cable-sceptic. Or was that your point and you were winding me up? (suspicious expression) Why haven't we got a "suspicious" smiley, anyway? Because Richer Sounds neglected to put one in the box, I suppose. :rolleyes:

20. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    Richer Sounds' "service department" is going to send me a power cable which should reach me "within the next seven days".

Hooray! :clap:

21. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gazza, I think the servo is really good, can't compare it to a Velo HGS or one of the big SVS, 'cos I haven't heard them, but compared to the Rel's, Vibes etc it's far better. I think I saw a quote by Ian J saying that it was the best bang per buck out there, I can't disagree with that. To give you an idea of price/performance, a friend of mine in Oz paid A$4,000 for his :eek:

Regards
    John

22. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    In the US you pay $1500 for a Servo 15 sub (that price includes an X.30 controller). In this country sub + X.30 comes to £600, and you can knock another hundred off if you don't buy the X.30. Pricewise this puts it on a par with the M&K MX700 or MX150 subs in america, both of which sell for about £1600 in this country. Granted that's an extreme example, but I think most people would agree that the Servo 15 is excellent value for money in the UK. (Assuming there are no reliability issues).

Beekeeper is of the opinion that the Servo 15 is superior to the REL Stentor (he owns both) - the fact that a sub selling for £500 is even comparable with one costing literally five times that amount is quite impressive.

But we're getting a little off-topic here. :nono: Anyone have any other contributions to make on the subject of rear speakers and rear speaker stands? Please? Anybody? :)

23. kenlong69

kenlong69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey there!

I use Atacama Nexus 10s as my rear stands... they seemed to be the highest stand I could get (unless I wanted to do a custom jobby!). Height excluding spikes 100cm (without spikes which gives another 2-3 cm).
    Also they can hold the weight of a decent size speaker, AND you can fill them with sand to make them more stable.

They ran me £80 from a hi-fi shop in Swiss Cottage. Pricey but they are beasts of stands and look great! You can get silver, metalic or black.

Hope that helps!

Ken