Suggestions please for a 49" or 50" UHD TV with wide viewing angles & for a Max of £500

jeallen01

The title amounts about sums up what I am looking for, and for the following reasons:

- It would be to replace a 2012-13 vintage 42" Tosh LCD, and would sit on an old (and extremely useful!) IKEA turntable that allows us to swivel it through about 70 degrees so that we can see the screen from either the lounge seating area at the rear of the through-lounge or the dining area at the front - even so, for where I sit on a sofa at the extreme rear, I need a TV with a wide viewing angle!

- To sit on the turntable means that the set needs a central support pillar rather than legs at both ends - although that may mean I'll need to get a centrally mounted VESA-adapter to replace the end legs on a set that has those.

- The fireplace on the left side of the turntable and "other stuff" on the right side limit the overall width of the TV to a max of around 1100mm (110cm) to allow it to be swivelled in both directions as above without fouling the fireplace or the "other stuff".

- Viewing distances are about 3-3.5m from the TV in "all" directions indicated above.

- the natural lighting comes from the windows at either end of the through-lounge; the artificial lighting when watching the TV is mainly from up/downlighters behind the lounge seating area sofas.

- Viewed content is/will be mainly a mixture of Sky HD (not Q - too expensive) and Netflix/Amazon Prime movies and series (in UHD where available!) - but few, if any, BD/DVD movies.

- The "quality" of the TV sound system is not too important as we have a decent AV 5.1 amp/speaker setup (see my signature!) but needs to be "good enough" to watch/listen to normal news/documentaries etc., at a reasonable volume level (we are both "getting old" and our hearing is not what it was :( ) without turning on the AV system.

- The Budget "is (roughly!) what it is" at £500 max - but, as always, I would prefer to spend "rather less" than that!

FWIW, been looking at LG 49"/50" sets but am concerned about the viewing angle issues in particular, and a 5-6yr warrantee would be important - been looking at sets from RS, but COSTCO is an alternative as I have an account there.

Thanks in advance for any advice to help resolve these "issues" :D

PS: we are located in West London, and I would prefer to buy from somewhere "local" so that I could take a look at any set before buying it and to make it easier to then deal with any subsequent quality or warrantee issues.

Last edited:

p1tse

loads on topic recently

you'll read 50" isn't the best for value for money, features etc. if you can go 55"; there are better TVs apparently.

for that budget similar to me, I've whittled down to Hisense

jeallen01

loads on topic recently

you'll read 50" isn't the best for value for money, features etc. if you can go 55"; there are better TVs apparently.

for that budget similar to me, I've whittled down to Hisense
Thanks, but:
- a 55" TV would be nice if I could find one that is no more than 110cm total case width but I doubt that I could (even 110cm is "pushing it" width-wise!), and, anyway, SWMBO wouldn't even let me give one houseroom (I'll have enough trouble just explaining the rise in screen size from 42" to 49"/50")!
- Read in one thread that possible Hisense sets may have poor viewing angles, so may not be suitable anyway.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Avoid 50” sets, all have poor viewing angles. LG sets at 49” have good viewing angles due to using ips panels.

p1tse

for wider viewing angles you'll need an IPS panel vs VA (lots of reading on this)

most 50" are VA; but as above from what I gather LG offer IPS
Samsung might do, but apparently it's a lottery until you open up?

jeallen01

Thx to all who responded! - what I might buy is thus still TBD, and so further suggestions ("49",and not 50"!) will be most welcome :D
PS: "Ultimate" picture quality is thus also not "the deciding factor"! :confused:

jeallen01

MOD EDIT quoted post removed as it was spam
Thank you for link which was interesting, but that's an Indian site and most (all?) the sets mentioned there are for that market, and not for the UK where I am (TV model numbers are often geographical market-specific, and that's certainly the case here)!

Should also have mentioned that:
- having many of the Smart TV functions like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., is not important as I access those sites via an external streaming box (a ROKU 2) and that, plus SKy's own streaming service, is more than adequate for our needs.
- Alexa & similar integration is not required
- Smart phone control / Bluetooths not required
- will probably need 2x remote controls, so being able to purchase a 2nd one would be important

Anyway, looks like some "version" of an 49" LG set with an IPS panel seems the way to go - but which one??

Last edited by a moderator:

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Thank you for link which was interesting, but that's an Indian site and most (all?) the sets mentioned there are for that market, and not for the UK where I am (TV model numbers are often geographical market-specific, and that's certainly the case here)!

Should also have mentioned that having many of the Smart TV functions like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., is not important as I access those sites via an external streaming box (a ROKU 2) and that, plus SKy's own streaming service, is more than adequate for our needs.

Anyway, looks like some "version" of an 49" LG set with an IPS panel seems the way to go - but which one??

Tiny bit over budget, but best 49” ips set there is now.

jeallen01

£490 at Costco just now LG 49SM8500PLA 49" NanoCell 4K TV
Might be in-store but that model is not on the website.

jimmm

it must be finished now it was still there last night I ordered sunday and it was online only prc direct have it for £490 today on the web

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom