Suggestions on speakers for Naim 112x and 150x.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by paulg1979, Jan 5, 2007.

1. paulg1979

paulg1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi.

Just purchased myself a Naim 112x and 150x (now converted to Naim for life:D ) which i'm currently running with some Mordaunt Short 902i standmounts. I obviously want to upgrade these but wondered what good standmounts are about. Looking at £500-£600.

Any Suggestions?

2. hammers80

hammers80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, a few weks ago I heard some speakers by Revolver,r 33 I think they were,had the best bass i'd heard from a standmounter,was so well controlled with great definition,a great clarity in the midrange,it put a smile on my face.

The Epos speakers would also be fast and fun with Naim.

3. paulg1979

paulg1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sound good. Never heard of Revolver but have heard of Epos. What are the PMC's like?

4. benny4

benny4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My DB1+'s sound fantastic with my Arcam set up, but when I heard them on a Quad amp they seemed to lose something. I would recommend you demo any you want to listen to on your own kit if possible.

5. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    Within your budget, one of the best matches we have found is the Dynaudio Audience 52's. If you extend the budget a little, there will be a few more options from Spendor with their S3e, the Proac Studio 110, as well as Dynaudio's Focus 110 model. All are quite different presentations therefore relies heavily on personal preference as to your choice.

6. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    I've just upgraded from Dynaudio Audience 40's to their Focus 110 speakers.. i'm running off a Nait 3R with CD5i source... all connected with Chord cables.

I am selling the NACA5 cable and Audience 40's soon and will add an advert in the Classifieds when i do. As for which speakers to go with i prefer the midrange of the 42's over the increased bass of the 52's... the 52SE area different ball game and go extremely cheap on eBay (£475 for instance!) If you do like the sound of the Focus 110 then Audio Excellence have a pair of ex demo (so full warranty etc) in Maple for £600... and that's a bargain!

Am not a great fan of PMC with Naim, don't seem quite "right" to me.

7. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you ca live with going second hand, then seek out a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mk II's........there are quite a few over the years (months) who've had this combo and love it. I've never heard with it personally, though have heard Naim and Dyns together.

I do know from personal listening that the 1.3 's are a good chunk better than the 52se's and the Focus 140

8. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    This highlights a need to listen!

Though Craig you do say you've never heard them and then on the other hand say you personally think they're a lot better!?

I have to totally disagree however, the 1.3's never gelled for me, far too much bass from the box which ruined the sound... i also don't believe the 150x has enough grunt to drive them properly. I would say that 52SE, 110 or 140 are not only a better match but a better speaker... to start with they have the latest version of Dynaudios own MSP drivers, let alone the fact that the Focus range use the latest Esotec+ tweeter (as does the 52SE) the cabinet design is very clever, can't quantify the benefits but sonically they're clear! Basically see if you can track some down to hear, but personally i don't believe they're a patch on the others above.

9. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry Scot. I wasn't clear.

I have never heard 112x and 150 together with anything, period,

I have heard Nait 5i together with 52se and 1.3 II. 1.3 II for me thank you. I own 1.3 II's, used to own 1.1, before that 52se and before that 42's. Lousy incremental upgrade path but there you are :hiya:

The comment about better refers mainly to the 1.3 II over the Focal 140 and the 52se. I tried them against 140 before xmas and it was clear for me that the 1.3 was the better speaker. Have previously had the 52se's and 1.3's side by side and that again for me was clear.

However, I know what you mean with the bass, in a way, as I gave up on the 52se for the same reason. So many of these issues are room-acoustic dependent so I perhaps there's no hard and fast way of knowing which is best before you get me em home.

It's only my opinion, of course, but I have managed to listen to them all in one combo or another. There are a few on wigwam and HFC who easily used 1.3's together with the Nait 5i, so I'm not inclined to jump on the power bandwagon.

edit: FWIW, I'm not a die on the beaches Dynadude, I will probably be parting with my Dyn's within the next year.

10. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Not a problem, was a little puzzled!

I'm genuinely surprised you found them better, but hey it's what makes us different -would be dull if we all liked the same thing eh!?

Certainly see your point on an odd upgrade path, v.strange from 52SE to 1.1... though the others kind of figure i guess :) For me the 52SE were way too much, the Focus 110 are about the limit of bass tolerance in my room, so it's certainly a case of a home dem required!!

I think i am a Dynadude as i keep listening to lots of other speakers but they just seem to "work" for me... i'll be intrigued what you change to!

11. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I did miss something out, and that was B&W 705's. the 52se's boomed like concorde in my then living room, so a change was necessary. Dealer allowed me to hoodwink myself into a pair of 705's.

Change of apartment brought change of room acoustics, and then went back to Dyn's but this time the 1.1, and from there we've come to the 1.3 II.

Anyway, to get back to the point with the OP's question, perhaps the Neat Motive 3 should be on the shortlist? they're a decent match for Naim, I hear, so worth a shot.......IIRC many Naim dealers sell Neat too.