1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions on plasma home cinema placement?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by tim k, Dec 13, 2004.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awaiting delivery from AV Sales of my Pw6 package, the first photo shows the wall i intend to mount the screen onto, its a hollow plasterboard which ive bought special large metal anchor screws to fit. The side picture shows the depth of the wall leading to the balcony, i've been told the plasterboard should be about an inch thick and then onto concrete as its a brand new apartment. First of all can anyone confirm that drilling 3 inches into the plaster then attatching 6 anchors to the wall mount will be sufficient as i really dont want an mdf panel. I'm planning on hiding the wires, (just power and vga lead which is going to js tech box) so i need to hide them in the plasterboard too, whats the easiest way of making and hiding such big holes?

Secondly I would like some ideas of how to actually place the screen, should it be at eye level, the current setup feels very comfy, so id like the plasma to be quite low with the 3 speakers mounted below. Should the L/R and center all be at the same level? ie i cant have the center above? Also where should the very bulky mission sub be placed??

Please follow link to pics as it won't let me upload twice :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170568

2. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PW6 is set up so that its more or less an eye level when I am sitting on the sofa. I personally think its at the optimum height as I dont have to look up or down to see it.

As you can see from the attachment my centre is at floor level. Im not sure if this is best, ive never tried it any other way and I am personally happy with the sound. I have floor standers on my set up, the tweeters of which are at about ear height.

Attached Files:

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    You need to do the "piece of paper " trick .

Card or paper the size of the panel , even the outline in Electrical tape will do. Stick it to the wall , and adjust til your happy. Works every time :smashin:

atb
    JS

4. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks really nice, is that plasterboard?? if so what did you use to fix, and how did you hide cables?

5. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is plasterboard. There was a fire place there originally. As luck would have it when I removed the fire place I found two large wood battons running down the wall behind the plasterboard at the exact width required for my mounting bracket. I then used the biggest wood screws possible to screw the bracket into the wood - and a lot of them. I just had the whole in the wall repaired and replastered after putting the cables behind the wall. Im redoing the room next year to tidy up the plastering and to do some other jobs as well.

6. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Like taking the handles off the plasma display ;)

7. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha ha I may do I dont mind them on to be honest. Its not something that I notice any more :)