Suggestions on lens choice please

tontoshorse

Well, the D50 and 18-55 are going, which leaves me a gap to fill.
I have a few options (like keeping the 18-55 cos its pretty darned good!)
also I may sell the Sigma 70-300 apo to help fund a Nikon 70-300 VR.
So....
whats the suggested lens between the 10-20 and the 70-300, or is it worth hanging onto the 18-55 for a while?

Many thanks!:smashin:

jonnypb

depends what you want to shoot mainly but.....

I've be tempted to keep the 18-55, sell the sigma 70-300 then get the Nikon 70-300 VR - you'll love it so much better than the sigma as it's got IS

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
nikon do an 18-70 that comes as the kit lens for the D70s, thats supposed to be a good upgrade from the 18-55

Do Nikon do an equivalent of Canon's 24-105 IS? I love that lens and its my normal walkaround. Then I have the sigma 10-20 and the canon 70-300IS for the short and long ends.

grantsteve

When I was in your position I went for the Sigma 24-70 f2.8. Excellent value for money IMO and it fills that gap nicely (even better if you had the Tokina 12-24 :D)

tontoshorse

depends what you want to shoot mainly but.....

I've be tempted to keep the 18-55, sell the sigma 70-300 then get the Nikon 70-300 VR - you'll love it so much better than the sigma as it's got IS

Good suggestion, the sale of the body and sigma would almost pay for a 70-300vr.:smashin:

nikon do an 18-70 that comes as the kit lens for the D70s, thats supposed to be a good upgrade from the 18-55

Do Nikon do an equivalent of Canon's 24-105 IS? I love that lens and its my normal walkaround. Then I have the sigma 10-20 and the canon 70-300IS for the short and long ends.

Don't know on that one richard, perhaps someone here does?:D

When I was in your position I went for the Sigma 24-70 f2.8. Excellent value for money IMO and it fills that gap nicely (even better if you had the Tokina 12-24 :D)

Mmm @ £220 not bad, any pics? (wouldn't swap the Sigma 10-20 though:D)

Cheers all.

bodoman

Distinguished Member
Hey Tonto, thought you could not get the 10-20 off your camera:D

I have been flashing the plastic today, will post in the alpha thread later.

tontoshorse

Hey Tonto, thought you could not get the 10-20 off your camera:D

I have been flashing the plastic today, will post in the alpha thread later.

I'm bound to get bored with it......one day!

Trouble is if I sell the D50 with the kit lens, it'll leave a huge gap, and more to the point, unless I have a home for the cash generated the money raised will just get used elswhere;) like electricity, kids shoes you know that sort of thing!

Anyway, stop posting Baz, and get clicking and give us a treat.:clap:

bodoman

Distinguished Member
Know what you mean about the money Tonto,many a time i have fallen by the wayside and frittered my money away on food and rent:)

The new baby wont arrive until Tuesday and i will be watching this thread to get a consensus of opinion on another lens as there is spare cash going a begging in this boys pocket.

I dont take nowhere as many photos as i should, which is a shame but my life is so damn busy and i am knackered when i get home from work and dont feel like going out, also there is not much of interest to photograph locally.

Thats why i enjoy the photo comp on here, i really dont enter to win, its just a good opportunity for me to use my camera and amuse myself and hopefully others on here.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom