• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Suggestions new ASDL2+ router?

Sofia Marceau

Standard Member
Hi All:)

I've had a Netgear DG834N ADSL 2 router for a a number of years. But it appears this router is now on it's way out. Despite firmware upgrades, re-set to defaults, it's constantly hanging, and at times, doesn't power back up when re-set.

Just after some advice on a good Wireless ADSL2 router, 4 ethernet port, that anyone has experience of?.

Many thanks:thumbsup:

Sofia

Sofia Marceau

Standard Member
What does your ISP offer? Generally you need to spend quite a bit to better the freebies.

Hi Beerhunter,

The ISP didnt offer anything, I switched to one 4 months ago, they keep the cost down but no freebees. I brought the Netgear 2-3 years back

That's why I'm after a recommendation for another, as it's evident the problem most likely lies with a faulty router.

Cheers

Sofia

t72bogie

Prominent Member
the replacement for that model was a DGN2000 ...I think thats what AOL giveaway these days - plenty good enough unless you need dual band, or gigabit ethernet, which are available on higher up the range models

Blitzmage

Established Member
Does anyone actually know any available dual band and gigabit ethernet adsl modem routers. The only thing I can seem to find that include the two is the linksys WAG320 which for some reason decided you can only use 5GHZ or 2.5GHZ which isn't that useful or the Belkin play max which doesn't seem to exist in stock anywhere. Is there anything else I am missing?

PD5200

Standard Member
I bought and am happy with a Billion BiPAC 7800N which does all the things you are after. There aren't many alternatives with that sort of spec - I don't know why.

t72bogie

Prominent Member
have you got many 5Ghz clients? thats why there are not so many routers around ...not much market demand

802.11n usually works in 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, but not both at the same time, some routers do have simultaneous dual radios so you can have seperate 2.4Ghz AND 5Ghz networks running ...say with video over 5Ghz and internet/date over 2.4Ghz

all very useful until you realise most games consoles and media streamers were not even 802.11n, yet alone 5Ghz

so its about the clients you have and intended use.....just like buying gigabit switches and routers and then realising you only have 1 device to connect to it at 1 gigabit ..its a bit pointless....

Sofia Marceau

Standard Member
Thanks for your feedback guys, things seem to have settled down. I'm not an expert so won't claim that this was the reason for it. But I found a forum entry on another site that suggested, switching to another wireless channel, that was as far away as possible from those being used in the surrounding area.

I used Commview for WIFI to scan and determine what other networks were in my locality and channels. This seems to have worked with the router make I have.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom