Suggestions - In car sat nav/iPod

mark*w

Standard Member
Hiya,

This is a general question about what's best, I've been looking at new cars with iPod inputs and built in sat navs.

But I've come to the following conclusions, and I just wanted to check that they're valid.

In car sat navs - These don't seem to be as good as the standalone units from Garmin/Tom Tom etc., in particular am I right that most don't have full 7 digit postcode search functionality?

iPod connectivity - The majority of manufacturers only seem to have aux inputs, which means that you wouldn't be able to control the iPod from the wheel mounted stereo controls. Again not ideal. Mind you looking at proper iPod integration I'm not sure how it works, how do you search through hundreds of albums using the car stereo? Do they cope with playlists?

Bluetooth connectivity - When a car is bluetooth enabled, does that mean I can stream music from a A2DP enabled phone to the stereo, or will it just accept phonecalls?

Thanks

Mark

Bennybeanbag

Novice Member
I can only comment on the Kenwood DNX range but they do have 7 digit post code searching (sat nav supplied by Garmin) and they are very good sat nav units with excellent routing and POIs built in. You can of course add your own and subscribe to traffic alerts too (I believe some of the models have this included for free).

iPod connectivity is full if you have the correct lead and displays album art on the unit screen in the dash, you can select play lists, skip backwards and forwards and if you have a video iPod it will play those too. Again provided you have the correct lead you can control the skipping back and forth and volume from the teering wheel.

There is a whole Bluetooth mode (so far I only use it to connect my phone) but I remember reading about some set up for playing music off Bluetooth devices as well.

Have a look at their range Kenwood Electronics UK Ltd. | Car Electronics > Multimedia & Navigation > Multimedia and you will see the only real limit is how much you want to spend! Some of the leads can be expensive (I paid £95 for a steering wheel control lead as my vehicle wouldn't work with the Kenwood supplied one and it had to be imported from the USA and configured) but generally you should be able to get most leads for around £50. Some good deals out there if you look.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom