Suggestions for upgrade to something more sturdy

fallwood

Established Member
Reaction score
As most of you will know I have a nasty habit of killing every PJ that I get my hands on. I am after some advise on how much I will need to spend and on what to get a machine that will put up with my excessive viewing demands ( roughly 8-10hrs a day). Even with the regular servicing a couple of you mentioned I still dont think that my 700 will be able to cope long term. I would be willing to go as high as 5000 for something that will give me reliable service under heavy use, are their any pj's out there that will meet my demands ( crt, dlp, lcd) or am I expecting too much. I re-designed my whole lounge around the pj so it would be a major pain in the ass to have to go down another route. Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I intend to change the 700 as soon as its been fixed (if there's a viable alternative).

Please don't go for the TX100! I'd like to remain blissfully unaware of the "shelf life" of this machine. :D
I'm sure others with more experience than me will be able to advise on the best machine to go for. If it survives your regime of use then I'll probably place it on my shortlist if the Hitachi starts to twitch! Got a feeling you may need to go up a league cost-wise however.
Please keep us posted and Good luck! :smashin:
...PJ

CRT or DLP seem less prone to damage with long term use, so maybe you should look at those more. The Optoma H77 is good value at £3500 and has a 3 year warranty, so that might be worth a look.

Gary.

I watched "bourne supremacy" last night and the latest Harry Potter tonight on a H77 I have on loan for the next fortnight.

Picture is GREAT !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards,

Stan.

I've calibrated mine with an 81a filter I had laying around (it reduces blue and green), and I'm measuring over 2600:1 contrast at D65. It was about 2300:1 out of the box IIRC. Not many pjs produce their quoted contrast figures as they're for non calibrated conditions, but this isn't too bad. Infocus quote calibrated numbers, and the 7205 is only rated at 2200:1, so the H77 is not doing too bad at all considering how much cheaper it is.

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom