Question Suggestions for Unicable LNB and Regular Satellite (for 28.2e)

elsmandino

Hello,

Can anyone suggest a non-Sky-shaped dish and Unicable LNB, please?

Given that I am in Essex and am only going to be using if for 28.2e, what size dish would guarantee decent/consistent reception?

Thanks.

TJT1

Something about the size of a Sky dish?:laugh:

IIRC Unicable lnbs are less efficient than standard lnbs and need a larger than standard dish - so would suggest a 60 or 70cm dish

Something about the size of a Sky dish?:laugh:
AFAIAW wrong on two counts. They don't make unicable lnbs designed for Sky dishes (only standard "circular" dishes) as well as being less efficient than standard lnbs.

TJT1

Firstly, I didn't suggest using a Sky dish as OP said he/she didn't want an oval dish. I suggested something about the size of a Sky dish.
Secondly, A Z2 Sky dish is around 76cm wide by 56cm high and sort of fits with your 60-70cm dish size suggestion. Unfortunately, I left out the Z2,:blush: and the OP doesn't want an oval dish anyway.
Thirdly, You obviously didn't take on board the smiley at the end of my somewhat mildly facetious post.:D

elsmandino

Thanks for your comments.

The reason I asked about the size, in particular, was this:

Sky mini dish LNBs. Sky single LNB and Sky Quad LNB. Sky octo LNB. Big Discounts. Low prices on Sky LNBs. Satellite Superstore UK - under the heading "Problems with Sky mini Dishes".

It seems to suggest that my current dish could be slightly bigger for better protection from adverse conditions - as I was thinking of buying a new one, I thought I might consider something a little bigger.

The fact that the Unicable is going to be less sensitive is a bit of a sticking point for me - I didn't think that, other than being more expensive, it had any disadvantages over regular LNBs.

I might have to have a measure up and see whether a 60-70 cm dish is going to physically/aesthetically fit as a replacement. Are there any particular brands, models, materials etc. I should be looking out for (or indeed looking to avoid)?

If I cannot get away with a much bigger dish, I might just have to accept that I need to drag four separate coax cables in through the wall, like many people do (not the end of the world).

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your comments.

The reason I asked about the size, in particular, was this:

Sky mini dish LNBs. Sky single LNB and Sky Quad LNB. Sky octo LNB. Big Discounts. Low prices on Sky LNBs. Satellite Superstore UK - under the heading "Problems with Sky mini Dishes".

It seems to suggest that my current dish could be slightly bigger for better protection from adverse conditions - as I was thinking of buying a new one, I thought I might consider something a little bigger.

The fact that the Unicable is going to be less sensitive is a bit of a sticking point for me - I didn't think that, other than being more expensive, it had any disadvantages over regular LNBs.

I might have to have a measure up and see whether a 60-70 cm dish is going to physically/aesthetically fit as a replacement. Are there any particular brands, models, materials etc. I should be looking out for (or indeed looking to avoid)?

If I cannot get away with a much bigger dish, I might just have to accept that I need to drag four separate coax cables in through the wall, like many people do (not the end of the world).
Not sure that the lnb itself is less efficient, however the splitters used lose about 2dB which is very small. Provided the coax run isn't very long and is quality WF100, I would have thought a 60cm dish would be OK (nominally about the same area as a region 2 sky dish). Remember the main UK channels transmitted on the UK spots are stronger than they used to be due to the tighter footprint.

If you have deep pockets how about a fibre lnb ? :)

GI - FibreIRS®-ODU32 KIT - F101720 - Global Invacom

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom