Suggestions for the weekend?

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I live near Guildford, thinking about taking Louise away for the weekend Saturday to Monday.

Any suggestions?

Country or Coastal, with nice walks/pubs/places to visit.

Not exactly sure how far I'm willing to drive - but I'd give preference to something a little closer than 3 hours away.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
Bath? Likely to be busy around the area but then everything will be over the easter weekend, some stunning villages nearby too, can highly recommend castle combe for an amazing place to stay, @THE_FORCE and I were only discussing the place recently. The manor house is stunning if a little on the pricey side but the castle inn which is also in the village is a better price and has a fantastic menu. It also puts you in easy drive of the likes of Bath and surrounding areas

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Castle Combe and that area seem nice - found a place called hatt farm, unfortunately they stopped doing B&B 2 years ago :D ok.. time to find somewhere else.

the castle inn has Sunday night available, not saturday

Last edited:

aVdub

Banned
If it was me and the OH I would either have a few days on the Isle of Wight, or along to the Swanage area.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
If it was me and the OH I would either have a few days on the Isle of Wight, or along to the Swanage area.

Went to IoW last year just after we got married, it is a good choice - but will not go back so soon.

I have booked Sunday night at the Castle Inn @ Castle Combe :) we can spend Sunday, Monday exploring.

aVdub

Banned
Went to IoW last year just after we got married, it is a good choice - but will not go back so soon.

I have booked Sunday night at the Castle Inn @ Castle Combe :) we can spend Sunday, Monday exploring.

Quick check with one of those search engine type thingy's and Castle Combs does look quite nice.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
@JimmyMac Castle Combe!!:clap::hiya:

Gotta get some other people involved in the castle combe love in :D

Castle Combe and that area seem nice - found a place called hatt farm, unfortunately they stopped doing B&B 2 years ago :D ok.. time to find somewhere else.

the castle inn has Sunday night available, not saturday

Theres some other decent places to stay nearby, Chippenham where I used to live has The Angel Hotel which is decent place to stay, would give you the same access to the surrounding areas and only just over 20 minutes or so from Bath. Also puts you close to lacock which has some great areas to see and walk around, cherhill is good for a little hike if you fancy it or Avebury which has the less well known standing stones which are of the same ilk as stonehenge :)

Axl

Distinguished Member
Good shout with Castle Combe, you won't go wrong.

Don't you like photography? Lacock itself is great for a mooch around but there's also the Abbey and Fox Talbot museum to visit there.

As you're in this neck of the woods if you do go to Avebury on the way through there's a small airfield up the road. On a cracking day you can get some great aerial shots of the Downs and the White Horse at Cherhill. Wiltshire Microlight Centre - Home Page Haven't been up for a while but it's a worth a look if you've never tried and it and fancy treating yourself.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Good shout with Castle Combe, you won't go wrong.

Don't you like photography? Lacock itself is great for a mooch around but there's also the Abbey and Fox Talbot museum to visit there.

As you're in this neck of the woods if you do go to Avebury on the way through there's a small airfield up the road. On a cracking day you can get some great aerial shots of the Downs and the White Horse at Cherhill. Wiltshire Microlight Centre - Home Page Haven't been up for a while but it's a worth a look if you've never tried and it and fancy treating yourself.

Yup I love photography, not sure the airfield is something my Wife will be interested in and my longest lens is 189mm on FF.

I will take a look at lacock :D

Axl

Distinguished Member
Just seen the flight prices, shows how long ago since I've been, only paid about £40 for an hour!

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Had a lovely weekend cheers guys, lots to see in the areas - mostly visited National Trust sites to save having to think much! but Avesbury and Lacock were interesting.

There must be a million photos of THIS :) (shame it was wet on our first day)

Castle Combe by dancook1982, on Flickr

The Castle Inn was a lovely place, lovely staff - and we got a free four poster bed upgrade :) woo

Castle Combe by dancook1982, on Flickr

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom