Suggestions for suitable media for Sony RDR-HXD870 please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Charliewh, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Charliewh

Charliewh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Everyone

After much consideration, I'm just about to purchase a Sony HXD870 and wondered if any current owners can tell me what discs (Manufacturers) they have found to be successful with this recorder. I ask because my old Philips DVDR890 preferred TDK +R/+RW to anything else. I don't know, if 5 years later, the Sony is less fussy! I need DVD-R's. DVD-R DL's and DVD-RW's. Also, any particular discs, apart from "cheapies", that don't work?

Many thanks.
    Charliewh:lease:

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I prefer to use verbatim dvd +rw , but most reasonable disks should work ( but not ram disks as it cannot write to them )

your decision may also be influenced by the fact of which recording mode you want to use as wel , and if fast dub is required or not

there have been several threads recently asking the same sort of question too

3. Charliewh

Charliewh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Ramjet.
    I have quite a stock of TDK +Rs left, but mainly want to record selected TV (from Sky+) onto the HDD, edit it (chapters, remove ads etc) and then rapid dub to DVD for keeping. I think I need Video Mode recording to HDD, then (mainly) DVD-R recording to give best chance of maintaining WSS output. Hope this is right!:thumbsup:

Charliewh

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    The 870 doesn't seem fussy about media (apart from it won't write to RAM by design, as ramjet said).

I would still buy quality media, as they are likely to be more reliable (in terms of long term use, and playing on other players etc). As brand names both Verbatium and TDK are good; Verbatium doesn't make their own discs but they use quality manufacturers. I mainly buy discs made by Taiyo Yuden (either generic ones under their own name, or I've had Panasonic and Verbatim branded TY discs).

5. Charliewh

Charliewh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, thanks RM
    I was thinking of using TY discs, but didn't realise that Verbatim used them. As an aside, when I brought the Philips 890 in 2002 I tried Verbatim first and many failed: so I went over to TDK and they were fine. (Probably less fussy about the state of the laser...3 in 2 years...a nightmare!!)

Presumably any TY is good for medium term storage (I'm getting old!)?:thumbsup:
    Cheers
    Charliewh

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I don't think there is enough long term reliability data, but the TYs seem good so far.

There haven't been too many Verbatim braded TY discs. There used to be a range of pastel coloured ones, those were TY.. but they stopped doing those.

If you buy discs from a place like SVP (svp.co.uk) they tell you the manufacturer code as well as the brand name, so you can see exactly what you are getting. (I have found their service to be excellent).

7. Charliewh

Charliewh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Mark and Ramjet: I think I now have the information I need.
    Best Regards
    Charliewh:clap: