Question Suggestions for streaming LMS/Vortexbox files to Lyngdorf amp

RohanM

I have a Vortexbox Appliance (i.e. an old headless, Windows 7 PC) running Logitech Music Server (LMS) on which I have my ripped CDs, hard-wired into my wi-fi router; and which was the basis for a Logitech Squeezebox/Touch streaming solution.

I've stopped using the various Squeezebox Radio and Touch devices as they started playing up more and more, and recently replaced a Cyrus ONE amp and Squeezebox Touch streamer in my main system with a Lyngdorf 1120 amp, which has built-in streaming (UPnP) and internet radio (vTuner) capabilities.

Using the Vortexbox software, I was able to rip in both flac and 320Mbs MP3 formats, which meant I could use the MP3 mirror files as the source for my iTunes library, whilst using the flac files for the Squeeze devices. I also still have the iPeng app available on my Apple devices (incl. the iPeng Player functionality), which uses the flac files as well.

Now, the problem with the 'mirrored' music library is that both formats of each song appear consecutively on the Lyngdorf in effectively the same album, as opposed to one album in flac format and another in MP3 format, i.e. each song is listed twice under the same album. LMS would separate them into different libraries/folders for the different formats - and the Denon HEOS software on my Marantz 7011 AV receiver also recognises the different libraries/albums. (even the Panasonic tv identifies the different folders... )

I can use iPeng as the software to stream to one of my iDevices, but then I can only bluetooth/Airplay to the Lyngdorf, instead of natively streaming within the amp...

What are my options to 'stream direct'? Is there something else I can download onto the Vortexbox or some other homebrew/variation on LMS available?

Cebolla

What are my options to 'stream direct'? Is there something else I can download onto the Vortexbox or some other homebrew/variation on LMS available?
A couple of years ago (was it really that long ago?) you asked for help with the Chromecast Bridge 3rd party LMS plugin (aka CastBridge) to get some Chromecast Audios to 'stream direct' from LMS on Vortexbox:
Still using Squeezebox Touch - am I missing a trick?

Assuming you did manage to get the Chromecast Bridge plugin working with the CCAs, you should be able to do something similar with the UPnP/DLNA Bridge 3rd party LMS plugin for any standard UPnP/DLNA streamer, such as the Lyngdorf 1120 amp (and even the Marantz 7011 AVR - I've yet to know of a HEOS streamer that doesn't contain a UPnP renderer in its core).

BTW, what version of LMS are you running under Vortexbox?

DefDave

Forgive my ignorance, I have no idea what a ''headless, Windows 7 PC'' is, but since you are already using Windows why not use WMP. I, like yourself rip two versions of my Cd's. FLAC for my Mitchell & Johnson, and MP3 for the car and I-pod. Stored on a portable hard drive, in two folders, FLAC & MP3. and connected to an old Windows 10 laptop. In WMP library then just organize so that only FLAC folder is accessable by M&J. Never misses a beat.

RohanM

Forgive my ignorance, I have no idea what a ''headless, Windows 7 PC'' is, but since you are already using Windows why not use WMP. I, like yourself rip two versions of my Cd's. FLAC for my Mitchell & Johnson, and MP3 for the car and I-pod. Stored on a portable hard drive, in two folders, FLAC & MP3. and connected to an old Windows 10 laptop. In WMP library then just organize so that only FLAC folder is accessable by M&J. Never misses a beat.

Headless= without a monitor (or keyboard). The unit just sits near the router by itself. But it can be connected to such peripherals.

RohanM

A couple of years ago (was it really that long ago?) you asked for help with the Chromecast Bridge 3rd party LMS plugin (aka CastBridge) to get some Chromecast Audios to 'stream direct' from LMS on Vortexbox:
Still using Squeezebox Touch - am I missing a trick?

Assuming you did manage to get the Chromecast Bridge plugin working with the CCAs, you should be able to do something similar with the UPnP/DLNA Bridge 3rd party LMS plugin for any standard UPnP/DLNA streamer, such as the Lyngdorf 1120 amp (and even the Marantz 7011 AVR - I've yet to know of a HEOS streamer that doesn't contain a UPnP renderer in its core).

Hi Cebolla, thanks. Wow, I’ll have to dig around: I think I must have got the plug-in working, but it’s been a while since I used the CCAs let alone had a tinker with LMS...

I’ll investigate and get back to you. I think I’m on an old LMS build (haven’t checked in years... but I recall there was something about the hardware build of my VB appliance stopping me from doing both Vortexbox and LMS updates). Let me look into this - thanks for the nudge!

larkone

You could move the MP3 directory somewhere else. Keep the original MP3 directory on the VB and delete everything after copying the files to a new location. When you need to mirror new files just mirror them to the old MP3 directory on the VB then copy copy them out of the old MP3 directory to the new MP3 directory and delete from the original. Then the 1120 will not be able to see the MP3 files, only the FLAC directory.

RohanM

just logged-in now: LMS 7.7.2

I see a version 8 is now available; but am not sure how to do that. I can follow the link to download the file onto my laptop, but I'm not sure how to transfer and then execute on the VB (it s been a while... )

for reference, the Vortexbox SW version is 2.2, with Linux OS Version: Fedora release 16 (Verne)

RohanM

In the main Lyngdorf 1120 thread, there was a recommendation for using the m:connect app to connect to a NAS, via the UPnP input on the Lyngdorf by @hunt808. This works a treat, in that it recognises the LMS software on my Vortexbox.

It has gapless playback, and plays my rips correctly (the Lyngdorf web front-end shows the relevant bit rates).

I am trialling Tidal and using the m:connect app, I'm also able to stream Hi-Res files to the amp in absence of TidalConnect (I don't use Roon)... nice bonus.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom