Suggestions for replacing a REL Stentor III

I would remove the amp from your REL and have it serviced. Recap it and a full rework of all solder joints and should be as good as new. I assume due to the age of it it will old school electronics so any service centre who repair hifi amps etc would be able to do it...if you get stuck message me I'm an electronics service engineer

Rel stentor III was just 1 model down from the very best studio III in the Richard Lord designs. They are superbly musical I have one in a Lyngdorf 2.1 system. It's not only ported it's a transmission line of first class cabinetry. Well worth looking to repair for a music system. REL will not support you, but please don't chuck it.

I'm sure you will be happy with the SVS replacement for HT use.

Very basic amp, maybe buy some switch cleaner and give all the pots a spray and a turn up down etc can cause cracking after they have been in same position for years.
Theres not many caps to change in the amp and not many places for dry joints so would take 10 mins to refresh all joints

Where in the UK are you (broadly)? If in Essex I can recommend another amp repair place.

Had the same problem with my REL STORM 111 I purchased 2nd hand 20 ++odd years ago.
Developed a buzz after a few years, but took it back in to retailer Linetone Audio where they promptly fixed it and been OK ever since.
Neon switch light also went out but couldn't be bothered to haul it in just for that.
Bought new B&W speakers and still using the Storm which REL were very helpful over the phone in setting up, as it had been many years since I'd 'twiddled' with the controls on the back panel.

Don't fix the led in the switch it's only a potential source of distortion anyway.

It's worth a punt to change all caps and rework all solder and clean all pots.
Might cost you £100 and will be good as new

I think so, yes. If you're on concrete and you want to feel the rumble then ported is probably the right choice for you. SVS and Arendal offer good options. They both come with onboard EQ but you might want to consider something like an antimode. For a little bit on top of the sub it'll smooth out your bass response and could improve things by a lot.

The REL is a hell of a sub though, have you looked in to getting it repaired?

Or a curve ball option, @IWC Dopplel has recently swapped the amps in his subs with outboard amps. If it's the amp that's faulty that could be an option. As I understand it he's very pleased with the results.
Hiya Conrad, do you have a link to a thread where he/she describes what they did to use the external amps and which models etc please? I can't find anything using search function sorry.

Thanks guys. I was hoping it was something that needed less effort haha... but maybe @IWC Dopplel should set up his own business making those amazing units!
In my case, I was more thinking a single box "off the shelf" solution that either (a) could take an LFE RCA input and then high level XLR connect to my sub or (b) take off the amp plate and run a wire in connecting to the spades from an amp to drive the woofer.
But apologies as I've gone off thread topic!
If I had a grand, depending on the space you have, I would go for two subwoofers. Maybe two BK Monoliths if they can fit. Or two BK P12-300s.
And, sorry to put a spin on it, but EQ is amazing. Not just for subs. If you had £1500, I would spend £750 on an AV receiver with EQ32 and sub HT EQ, then get the two P12-300s.
But that is just me... you'd also get a healthy amount on ebay for the AVCA1HD - there is a shortage of AV amps at the moment and used ones are going for silly money!

Thanks guys. I was hoping it was something that needed less effort haha... but maybe @IWC Dopplel should set up his own business making those amazing units!
In my case, I was more thinking a single box "off the shelf" solution that either (a) could take an LFE RCA input and then high level XLR connect to my sub or (b) take off the amp plate and run a wire in connecting to the spades from an amp to drive the woofer.
Have a look at the inukes. They're sub amps that'll allow you to power a passive sub.
But apologies as I've gone off thread topic!
If I had a grand, depending on the space you have, I would go for two subwoofers. Maybe two BK Monoliths if they can fit. Or two BK P12-300s.
And, sorry to put a spin on it, but EQ is amazing. Not just for subs. If you had £1500, I would spend £750 on an AV receiver with EQ32 and sub HT EQ, then get the two P12-300s.
But that is just me... you'd also get a healthy amount on ebay for the AVCA1HD - there is a shortage of AV amps at the moment and used ones are going for silly money!
Just get a mic and a minidsp, then you add advanced EQ to any sub. It integrates with REW too making things very quick.

It was @IWC Dopplel that did the build. Here's one post where he references them, with images: Amplifier choice for subwoofer

IWC, is there a build thread for the sub amps?

Conrad, hi no separate build thread, happy to share drawings of the boxes, I have them CNC'd from oak veneered plywood and just glued them together

I think the wood cut for 5 boxes was around £80, I just glued, braced and then oiled they cam out perfect. They slot together so quite easy

Naim Cinema.jpg

Cinema Sub amps2.jpg

A few more pics of the design, they usually come with a carriage box which if its hidden away would be perfect to paint and use anyway see bottom pic. I didn't have the room to re use and wanted to match the racking

793BA60B-112D-4253-A7BA-ACA728C47D2C.png

6F9A731C-D5BF-46B9-8251-0CC8C31CBE04.png

3A67C8B4-8F64-4F68-839F-3E928AAC4E87.png

F9DEF733-EE09-4970-B052-4B8A4E46B557_1_201_a.jpeg

A4BB0724-EBD0-406E-B669-7B528D7CC499.jpeg

Hello,

I would appreciate some input/suggestions from fellow AV Forum members with regards to choosing a new subwoofer.

I have had a REL Stentor III since about 2005. It cost me around £2,500 at the time. The unit has developed a fault on Saturday whereby it now keeps producing a crackling sound which I have not been able to resolve (even with nothing connected to the sub). I am forced to accept that I now have to fork out for a replacement if I wish to continue enjoying the benefits of a subwoofer in my setup.

I cannot justify spending the aforementioned sum on a subwoofer these days. Its just too much. However, I am prepared to spend up-to £1,000 (my ideal limit) on a new subwoofer and would consider stretching to around the £1,500 mark if this proved necessary to get the desired performance/quality.

My system is used entirely for TV/Films. I am not really into music.

I understand that ported subwoofers are the best in terms of producing the low frequencies and shifting the air. It seems like a lot of the new makes/models on the market today are closed port designs.

I've been a bit out of touch with the AV market in the last few years and do not yet have a clear idea of what would be the best choice to replace my REL.

One thing which is very important to me is the quality of the electronics/drive units so far as the sub does not produce any unwanted buzzing/hiss/hum that would be detectable in a quiet room (unless ones head up against the sub). I have sensitive hearing. The REL is (or was!) silent in a quiet room when standing even just a few feet away.

I see that REL have rejoined the subwoofer market in recent years. However, they do in my opinion remain a highly priced brand and all their models appear to be closed box designs. It also disappoints me to observe that REL subs are now assembled in China. The other brand which stands out to me is SVS. There seems to be little to offer from B&W or KEF these days.

I have only spent a couple of hours looking into subwoofers thus far and the models which are standing out to me so far are:

SVS PB3000 Sub Woofer £1549.00

REL S/510 Series S £1699.00

SVS PB2000 Pro Black Ash Subwoofer £999.00

My room is only about 13 feet x 13 feet.

Any input/ideas would be most appreciated

Some details of my current subwoofer.
Would you be interested in selling your amp section of your rel stentor iii? Mine has a bad Circuit board and they are no longer available according to Rel. Thanks,tom

Would you be interested in selling your amp section of your rel stentor iii? Mine has a bad Circuit board and they are no longer available according to Rel. Thanks,tom
Hi Tom,
Sorry, but I sold the REL last December.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom