Suggestions for replacing a REL Stentor III

chambeaj

Gasp3621, Many thanks for the detailed post. Very much appreciated. I've pretty decided on either the SVS PB3000 or the SVS Pro PB2000. Just trying to convince myself that the Pro PB2000 would be more than enough for my needs.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Gasp3621, Many thanks for the detailed post. Very much appreciated. I've pretty decided on either the SVS PB3000 or the SVS Pro PB2000. Just trying to convince myself that the Pro PB2000 would be more than enough for my needs.

The frequency response is quite similar on those two, but PB3000 will be able to play certain range lot louder, but you aren´t really taxing the PB2000 Pro at -40 volume levels so as i said bit questionable if your listening habits aren´t changing in future. And also that room isn´t really large either.

Only other option comes to mind is two smaller subs which is often highly beneficial for smoother room response, but if you can´t have the 2nd sub at right front corner or right rear corner assuming the 1st one goes to front left corner automatically..

tahirti3

If you play at low levels the rel will be hard to beat.So if i were you i would have to listen to some subs before you choose a new one.not easy i know but the rel is a very good sounding sub.if you played at extremely high levels i might look elsewhere but otherwise the rel is great.

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
I have a Stentor III, recently bought a PSA sealed - 18inch, not the prettiest thing but for films it is miles ahead of the REL, considering the performance on tap its great value. For music I'm still with the REL (music is more about timing and less about explosive deep bass in my experience :) ).

It is heavy and big but just in different dimensions to the stentor.

Whatever you do, try to get REW and a microphone if you have options it's super great for placement. If you've only got a single sub, then I did a reverse sub crawl on mine.
Place the sub at the location of the main seat, moved the microphone to the various location options in the room and ran the REW sweep. Finding the location with the flattest response I placed the sub ran REW again this time with microphone at seating location to verify I got the same response (it did) and teaked the location an inch here or there to perfect the location.

Multiple smaller subs + a transducer for the shakey not hear bits is another option although it has its own placement/configuration concerns.

chambeaj

If you could find another stentor 3 at the right price would that be an option ?

I prefer now to go with a more up-to-date design/technology (and preferably not quite so heavy).

chambeaj

I may have to hold off until after christmas in or order to give myself more time to reach a decision.

I have gone round in circles over the last few days. I was all set to get either the SVS PB2000 Pro or maybe the SVS PB 3000.

The problem is I have nagging doubts about the SVS models with regards to quality of the PSU/Components. Basically, I have always had quite acute hearing. Having, read through the forums I have read posts where some people complain of issues such as hissing from the PB3000 which can be heard at 8ft away. The manufacturer considers it normal.

The thing is my current REL is absolutely quiet in a silent room. There are no unwanted sounds noticeable even at just a few feet. I wonder if this is because the high end RELs have better power supplies/components i.e. audio grade PSU with toroidal transformer etc.

When I look at some of the photographs of the internals of the PB3000 they seem very basic ie. no large toroidal transformer etc.

The RELs are expensive, but are they better built with higher quality components/psu ?

Conrad.

That’s probably because the SVS uses a class D amp which doesn’t need such a large transformer as the RELs, presumably, class A/B amplifier.

Are you sure that the reviews that mention noise are actually caused by the sub? If you hook up a noisy source to a powerful amp you’re going to get noise. If you have a quiet source and decent cabling (doesn’t need to be expensive) it can be silent. My PSAs are silent in my room unless I have my ear right up to the driver.

chambeaj

It was these posts that I picked up on:

chambeaj

I did not appreciate that the smaller PSU is becuase of the Class D amp. That explains that. I do appreciate that noise problems can be a result of a number of variables such as cables or mains bourne noise. All of my kit runs through an ISOTEK mains conditioner.

Conrad.

Ok, that’s fair. So it happened without anything connected which means it has to be the amp/driver combo. It’s hard to know if it’ll happen with you. It could be specific to that person/those people’s environments, mains, or the way they’ve got things set up (in terms of PEQ and gain). It’s also hard to know how loud it is in practice. One man’s hiss is another man’s silence, or something.

That’s not very helpful, I know. But you do have the option of buying and returning. It’s a pain, but at least then you know for sure.

Conrad.

You also have to consider that there’s four pages of comments there and only a couple of posts about noise. This is an assumption, I haven’t read the whole thread, I’m assuming you have.

People have a tendency to come to places like this to ask for help when things aren’t working and that might indicate a good hit ratio. There are lots of very happy SVS owners. If they had issues they wouldn’t sell as many subs as they do and be as successful as they are. You could also check the AVSForum thread as I’m sure there’s more US owners than UK ones.

The only thing that matters at the end of the day is how it works in your room with your kit, and how that stacks up against your needs and expectations.

I’m really not trying to sell you an SVS sub!

chambeaj

At one time I'd of gone for a demo. But having given up car ownership a few years ago its not so easy to get around these days. Also, a lot of the smaller Hi-Fi shops have disappeared since 2008. My favourite Hi-Fi store, of which I was a customer for over 30 years, went out of business in 2013. This means that like so many things these days it comes down to buying online.

Thankyou for your input. It is much appreciated.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I may have to hold off until after christmas in or order to give myself more time to reach a decision.

I have gone round in circles over the last few days. I was all set to get either the SVS PB2000 Pro or maybe the SVS PB 3000.

The problem is I have nagging doubts about the SVS models with regards to quality of the PSU/Components. Basically, I have always had quite acute hearing. Having, read through the forums I have read posts where some people complain of issues such as hissing from the PB3000 which can be heard at 8ft away. The manufacturer considers it normal.

The thing is my current REL is absolutely quiet in a silent room. There are no unwanted sounds noticeable even at just a few feet. I wonder if this is because the high end RELs have better power supplies/components i.e. audio grade PSU with toroidal transformer etc.

When I look at some of the photographs of the internals of the PB3000 they seem very basic ie. no large toroidal transformer etc.

The RELs are expensive, but are they better built with higher quality components/psu ?

I don`t see you benefitting from the slightly larger model if you don`t even listen it "loud". There is reason why the 2000 series has been and still is sweet spot for many. It offers really good balance/performance. PB3000 is beast with ~120db mid-bass output for those who want to swap their underpants during movie! Sure more headroom is welcome, but at -40 the PB2000 Pro isn´t really working yet either so in that sense it would be plenty. If you are the type of person to regret easily then i will make it easy for you.

AVO forum advertiser has SVS refurb unit which should be in mint shape, outside packaging is only damaged. Full warranty! This goes for 1316£ as normally 1550£. So you would pay 316£ to sleep your nights better, no buyers remorse.

Also i can´t remember any constant noise issue with SVS subwoofers reading two or three US forums for +10years. Every manufacturer has "lemons" always! Usually at AVF the humm/buzz issues are with BK Electronics subs using class ab amps. But as Conrad said ask in the AVSF (US) thread. They have 1700 page thread and SVS sells 100x time more subs monthly in US than UK so they have lot more owners there who can tell you about any potential issues:

chambeaj

I decided to let my head rule and went for the SVS PB2000 Pro. I felt this offers more than enough power/frequency response for my needs, and my room is not that large at 13x12ft. It is just as well, as the unit arrived this afternoon and it took me some effort to get the box into TV room at the back of the bugalow Any bigger and I might not have gotten the box through the doorways. Will unpack and start setting it up tomorrow after I have broken down the old REL.

Thankyou for all the input/suggestions provided.

Conrad.

I really wouldn't break the REL down, sell it here or on an auction site, collection only for parts. Someone will be looking for one I'm sure, they're classics.

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
What do you mean by broken down, scrap it and put it in the bin?

Please don't that would be audio sacrilege! :laugh::(

chambeaj

Unfortunately the only way I can get the REL out of the room is to dismantle it. Its simply too heavy to lift at around 65kg.

WozzaB

Unfortunately the only way I can get the REL out of the room is to dismantle it. Its simply too heavy to lift at around 65kg.
Someone would snap it up if you put it up for sale, they'd be happy to help get it out of your house as well I'm sure!

chambeaj

I took your advice. Moved it a few inches at a time to get it out of my room. I need it out of the way to make room for the new SVS unit.

I'm buried with appointments and things to do this weekend, so will re-familiarise myself with the forum rules, take some photographs and advertise it sometime later next week.

Julian Stevens

Have you not consulted REL themselves? The solution may be to replace one relatively inexpensive component.

I had a Stentor many years ago (a II, I think) and found it woefully inadequate. It had just a single 10" driver with very limited excursion that would routinely bottom out on deep bass at anything above decidedly modest levels. So I sold it and moved on to a pair of passive Lyngdorf W210's (sadly no longer made), each of which has two 10" drivers, powered by a Lyngdorf SDA-2175. The expensive bit was the external active crossover, for which (after much research and cogitation) I plumped for a Bryston 10B-SUB. My room has an unfortunate resonance node at around 32Hz, so being able to control the system's output level below 40Hz is not just desirable but essential.

chambeaj

I never had any luck with REL back in 2008 when I asked for details of the neon rocker/power switch which stopped lighting up. When the unit failed recently, I pretty such decided straight away that it was time to move onto to something new / more up-to-date technology. The SVS arrived yesterday. Just got to unpack and start setting it up later on today.

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
I took your advice. Moved it a few inches at a time to get it out of my room. I need it out of the way to make room for the new SVS unit.

I'm buried with appointments and things to do this weekend, so will re-familiarise myself with the forum rules, take some photographs and advertise it sometime later next week.
These things are legendary, I think you'll find someone willing to snap it up
Put a link on here when you do please.

Ultrasonic

Is there a chance that REL sub was manufactured by BK Electronics? If it was then they'd be a different place to try contacting for help in repairing it.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Apple's new iPad Pro features mini-LED display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple launches new M1 powered iMac for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple introduces new Apple TV 4K with High Frame Rate HDR support
  • By Andy Bassett