1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for "one extra channel"

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Guy Verbist, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Guy Verbist

Guy Verbist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks.

I have a pretty good DVD player (Arcam FMJ DV29), and a room that will only ever accomodate three speakers, a pair of fronts and a centre.

I watch a fair amount of movies, but music reproduction is very important to me.

Currently the DVD player does all the processing (CD and DVD), and is hooked into an old NAD T750 5 channel amp, which just amplifies (no processing).

If at all possible the future setup would have a dedicated stereo integrated amp for music, but the problem is over what to do about movies?

The options I can see are:

a) buy a 5.1 processor, use the stereo amp for the front 2 channels, and get something else to be the power amp for the centre (suggestions?)

b) drive the stereo amp straight from the 5.1 outputs on the DVD player, and another integrated for the centre, again straight from the 5.1 outputs. However in this case won't I have the problem of two volume controls, which would be very difficult to marry up?

So the bottom line is that I'd be very grateful for any suggestions as to how I can use a 2 channel integrated for music, but still have good and convenient amplification for the centre channel for movies.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Guy

2. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    URK!! Difficult if it's only 3.0 or 3.1

How about still controlling the Volume for movies via the DV29 just using the stereo amp as a power amp on a fixed gain input?

Hummm How about a stereo amp and a matching single channel amp. For example an A32 and P35/3 so you can bi-amp L&R and have one channel for Centre.

So the DVD Front L&R for movies goes into the fixed gain input on the A32 and then it's always going to be the same level, and the centre goes directly into the power amp on the P35/3 and I think you still have seperate L&R output from the DV29 and use this for CD's so it's not a fixed gain, and the Stereo amp will control it and just use it for L&R, so should then have nothing coming out of the centre as it will be on CD which is just sending it out via the 2 channels.

Could do similar wiht MF and other manufacturers that have a fixed gain input on their stereo amps. For example MF A5 and x200 power amp for the centre.

Or if i've completely misunderstood your post, just laugh and i'll hide and blush a lot :)

Steph

3. Guy Verbist

Guy Verbist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Actually I think I may have answered my own question while pondering it.

The 5.1 outs from the DVD go into the NAD T750.

The stereo CD outs from the DVD go straight into the integrated stereo amp.

The integrated that I'm looking at has a 'theater throughput' mode where it can just be used as a power amp. So connect the front channel pre-outs to the integrated.

Centre (and subwoofer) connect to the NAD.
    Fronts connect to the integrated.

Ayyy war lar, quality stereo, decent movies.

WAF on the extra box may be a hurdle though :D

Cheers,

Guy