1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for nice diesel estate

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by huwg, Oct 3, 2005.

1. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hi, Company car is likely to go next year, any suggestions for a smallish diesel estate (1.9 ish 115 - 130 bhp)
    3-5 yrs old
    budget up to 10K (at a real push)

My ideal would be an Audi A4 Avant, but these are generally costly, but gives a good indication of the size I'm after.

Any thoughts on these :-
    Volvo V40
    Alfa Romeo sportwagen
    Saab ??
    VW Passat
    Skoda ??
    Any Japanese models?
    anything else??

is a small MPV a better option?

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    What's the main requirement?

If you want something really practical I'd rule out the Alfa as they are barely bigger than the saloon inside. Plus if it's for ferrying kids around there is very little storage space in them for the usual odds and sods you need to carry around. Nice lookers though and the 2.4JTD engine is a peach - econmical as well as smooth with a nice 5 cyclinder chug to it.

If you want someting very practical then the mini MPVs are great for childcarrying duties - tons of space, easy to get in and out of, lots of cubbyholes and the kids like being high up. I like the look of the current Scenic which would be in your price bracket. The vauxhall Zafira seats 7 but it's not my cup of tea as it looks too bland.

Of the others the Passat is the quality option - as nice as the Audi inside but costs less. And the Skoda is not all that far behind if you're not a badge snob. The Volvo is a bit of an antique now and is well off the pace compared to the others - cheap interior and not all that big.

Not struck on most Japanese models as they are all a bit bland (Avensis, Primera etc), but loads of kit and very reliable. Although stuff like the RAV 4 might be worth a look as something a little different - they handle really well, are fairly economical, well made and totally reliable. Only downside is that they are not all that big on the inside.

I drive a Nissan X-trail BTW. Bigger than the RAV, reasonably economical, loads of space, drives really well and well within budget. A 2002 diesel around £10K for 70,000 miles.

3. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Cheers Chris,

Yes, 2 young kids ( :) ), so luggage space is a requirement. I take your point about the Alfa, a real looker, my mates got the 2.4JTD (Saloon) it is nice, but if there's no space then I'll rule it out.

The bit that puts me off a small mpv is the fact that to me they just look like a tall hatchback, is there really that much boot floor space? I do like the current scenic, so that may be an option. But ideally I'm thinking of a more 'car like' vehicle. The Zafira is flexible, but I'm always concerned about the proximity of the rear window to the back row seats in these 7 seaters.

I've currently got a MK-IV golf tdi, and we often find the boot a bit small, (even my golf clubs have to go in at an angle) hence the thought of an estate. I'm not after a massive one (Accord / volvo V70 / Merc E Class), just a mid sized one.

I may be able to buy an ex-company passat, so that is an option.

Running and servicing costs ( :eek: ), reliability, comfort and toys all need to be considered, I suppose I'm after a list of further recommendations or ones to avoid.

Thanks.

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been looking for something similar for the school run car, but with AUTO & AirCon added to the requirement. From my current enquiries I've found quite a few Golf & Passat Estates at around the £10k figure, but Am holding out for a deal on an Audi A3 or A4Avant. As you say these tend to come in at a little more, but from experience are very relaible, nice to drive & incredibly economical. We have an A4 1.9 Diesel Avant at work and the guy that drives it regularly gets 56mpg. Admittedly there's a fair bit of motorway involved, but our offices are in East London.

Mark.

5. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Thanks,
    Are there any V40 owners out there?
    A 2002 V40 (40K ish) with alloys, leather, air-con, (1.9, 115 BHP) falls within budget. I doubt I'd get an A4 avant with that spec.

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    02 AUDI A4 Avant 1.9 TDi 130bhp Sport, Silver, Black leather, 1 owner, full service history, air-conditioning, power assisted steering, electric pack, alloys, CD player, roof rails £9,995

Wasn't sure if it's ok to post dealer phone numbers here but this is from Exchange & Mart Website, I haven't a clue about mileage though.

Plenty under £10k (though not many with leather).

I have a V70XC 4WD Estate for a very short time but found the build quality wasn't as I expected from Volvo, I don't know if the smaller ones are built any better.

Mark.

7. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a 2 year old A4 1.9tdi estate.I've done 31k miles and it never misses a beat. Always 50+ mpg. I would buy another without hesitation. The only criticism? The load area is a bit narrow. Golf clubs wont go in sideways. But you can get 3 sets in with the load cover over.
    The Passat has a much wider boot and is generallly bigger inside.Same engines. That would be my choice if I had 2 young kids.
    My friends just managed to get rid of a '51 alfa sportwagon petrol. They had it from new and had loads of problems with it and the dealers.The gearbox leaks, the electric windows all slowed and stopped, it wouldn't select gears, the radio wouldn't turn off unless you disconnected the battery and much more.Don't do it!

8. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Alfas seem very hit & miss (more misses than hits). My brother and I ran 2 Alfa 156 for 3 years (on '51 plates). No problems to speak of really, except a thirst for oil and expensive servicing.

But I still wouldn't buy another.

9. ToshTV

ToshTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my Alfa 147 GTA has run like a peach!

How about a Mercedes C220 CDi estate? May be slightly out of the price range though. Go for the Avantgarde spec with leather.

10. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Merc doesn't actually have a very pleasant diesel engine.

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Newer Passats are fine,but the build quality(electrics and similar)was awful on the older one we owned for a few yrs,although it has improved dramatically(my brother-in-law now has one and is very pleased with it.)

The Audi would be more expensive to buy initially,but the engines and build are excellent...I've now got a 2.0 16V diesel A3 which does 45+mpg....the A4 would be an excellent choice for something a little larger.

12. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    wouldnt reccommend an alfa. great if looked after a nightmare if they arent!

Passat or and audi would be my choice. make sure they both have a full service history.