1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for Media Room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Ayub, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I have bought a house and cant decide where my av room is going to be and hence would like some reccomendations.

The front room is 20 feet by 15 feet and has a bay window and a chimney breast.The second room is around 17 feet by 15 feet with a chimney breast and four foot of cladding ( victorian) which i would like to leave running round the house.

I will in due time be purchasing A/V equipment too and will be using the forum suppliers i assume they are best on price and equipment.i would also like to know if anyone is also making a a/v room and hence could learn from them. As i am having major building work done to the house ( almost gutting it) i don't have a problem chopping plaster or ripping boards up.The work on my house would not start until later in July and i would have 3 months to finish it. My budget would be "normal" is that the right word to use. about

without taking into consideration the equipment furniture etc i have around £600 for paint and paper sockets etc. Could anyone advise and also point in right direction for suppliers.

i would at a later take take on board advice on equipment as i have a few bits already i am more worried about setting the room up. I will be taking pictures soon of the empty room and hence could work in it with forum memebers if some of you have the time. I would really be interested in speak positions and plasma position and most of all where to fix them.

All help would greatly be appreciated.

2. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You have your heart dead set on a Plasma then? ;)

Is it going to be the main 'TV watching' room? If yes, then Plasma or something similar is probably the best bet. If, however, it is going to be a dedicated movie watching/games playing room, you might want to consider something a bit more impressive - you can get a really good projector and screen for the price of a mid range Plasma and nothing beats it for that true cinema experience IMO. Thing is, you do need decide now what route you are going to go, as it will require very different set ups.

3. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    I'm thinking of a Plasma as the room is fairly small and i would want the children to watch a flik or too when they are bored. I will have a tv room for normal viewing and this would be the "movie" room. As you suggest it would be better but i cant see my kids operating a "Pj".

4. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    sorry forgot to add the room dimentions and the room layout will cause a fair few problems too i assume. I will be taking pictures very room of both room for some real reccomendations. Should have the pics for tomorrow, As their as students in the house they wont go away till the end of june beginning of july so i have to hang fire till then and then its the builders. As i am a good "builder" i will be doing much of the av room myself so i need to know exacly what i'm doing if you understand hwta i mean.