1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for making my Projector quieter

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I have a Sony VPL-S900E LCD projector which I find just a little too noisy due to the fan. Action films are OK as it is drowned out but in anything with less sound content it can be a tad annoying.

I have read reference to 'hush boxes' and the like. has anyone any experience of quietening their projector and if so how did you do it ensuring you retained air flow, cooling etc.

Thanks.

2. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "hush boxes" are generally a box that completely surrounds the pj except for the front to "push" the sound forwards and away from the seating area (as i understand it...)

personally i`d try to cover the front with some(decent) glass at the front to project through....

use thick wood etc, with sound deadening (dynamat etc) inside

re:cooling - i`d run a cool in pipe(to bottom) with an 80mm pc fan and a hot out (at top) with another 80mm fan using ducting....

i`m sure other people have done better/more effective stuff

hth
    rob

3. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Messiah,

You have to options:
    1. If you have an adjoining room, you can mount the projector there and cut a little whole in the wall for projected image to come thru.
    2. Build a hush-box around the projector. You can use a tick wood or 20mm MDF. You need to provide for air intake (possibly assisted with an extra fan) and hot air exhaust. This is generally a larger project than the first option.

I had he same problem with my projector an have had to build hush-box.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks guys. Appreciate your advice. I like the option of mounting it in the adjacent room as directly behind the wall (partition wall only) is the kitchen with wall cupboards. Might sit very nicely on top of the cupboards.

Finally, I am also considering changing the pj for a new SIM2 HT200. Do you think the SIM2 will be noticeably (£2k worth) better quality and quiter than the VPL-S900E?

Thanks again.

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've always thought sticking the projector in another room is the best answer. In fact I've been plotting how to do it here.
    If you try it, please let us know how you get on.