Suggestions for longer throw projector

Madders

Hi Guys,

I'm just trying to compile a short list of the best projectors to use in my setup. I'm looking at getting a 100" 16:9 screen and the projector would be mounted 7 metres back from the screen. What 1080P projectors would you suggest would work well within this setup? The room can be fairly well light controlled. DLP is not an option unfortunately as I see rainbow effect even with the latest 3 chip projectors. Budget would be up to around £2,500. What would you suggest....? :)

mikim

That's bizarre that you see the RBE from a 3 chip device, as it's the strobe effect from a colour wheel on a single chip DLP that causes the Rainbows?
Maybe you saw a 3 chip with really bad convergence? :)

Anyway, at that price you could pick up a good second hand JVC HD100 or a new HD1 (if you can find the stock).
These are very good PJ's and will project 100" at just over 6m... 120" at 7m.

There are very few projectors that will project a 100" (256cm) image at 7m.

Avi

Distinguished Member
DLP is not an option unfortunately as I see rainbow effect even with the latest 3 chip projectors.
Out of interest what was the 3 chip DLP product you mention above ?

Colour break-up aka rainbows is typically associated with using a spinning colour wheel to apply colour sequentially in a single chip DLP. Not all single chip DLP use the same type and speed of wheel so the phenomenon can vary from product to product.

AVI

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom