1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for digital optical (TOSLink) cable...?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by NicolasB, Jun 25, 2004.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    My current optical interconnect is starting to annoy me. The sound is fine, but it's designed with reversible plugs that rotate through 180 degrees so as to give you either a regular TOSlink or mini-TOSlink connector as desired. Unfortunately they occasionally decide to rotate spontaneously as a result of a stray breath of wind and cut off the sound in mid-movie. So: a less sophisticated cable is needed. :)

It has to be optical because it's plugging into my Sky+ at one end. (DVD player uses coax).

I don't believe that it's possible for a digital cable to influence sound quality unless one is experiencing actual bit errors - I fail to see how a cable can induce jitter unless it affects one pulse differently from the next one - but if anybody wants to swear blind that a particular slightly-more-upmarket optical interconnect causes a dramatic change in sound quality, it might be interesting to have a listen to it just so I can say "I told you it wouldn't" with a bit more authority. :)

Any suggestions?

2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Supra ZAC for around £25...

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    could you use a co-axial connector instead?

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    Well, sure, if you want to mod my Sky+ box for me so it has a coax output. :)

(I suppose I could use an optical-to-coax converter, but I'd be surprised if that ended up sounding better than sending the optical signal straight into my Bryston SP1.7).

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  6. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    qed qnectot £30
    Ixos XHD... £30
    VanDenHul Optocoupler £50
    CableTalk Optical3 £35 (Very tight connection)

7. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    www.tvcables.co.uk has some no brand leads that look pretty sturdy, I recently bought one of their no brand scart leads and its chunky sturdy, individually screened and give me a great picture. Thats an analogue lead that actually has some possiblility of signal problems. I cant imagine for an instant that if that lead is that good a digital optical lead whose chance of any signal problems even on the cheapest of cheap leads is virtually 0 could possibly be anything less than perfect. yours for the bargain price of £3.75 for 1 meter + about 50p for postage and you can spend the other £20 on some DVDs to "test" it with ;)